quick rant. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imjustjoking22

Bronze

quick rant.

Post by imjustjoking22 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 am

...schools should not be allowed to do +/- grading if they do not give A+. Inherently unfair.

That is all.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Re: quick rant.

Post by Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:51 am

sounds like my old University. You aren't in Canada are you?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:59 am

There's no A+ at my university. Would have been awesome if there was.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 am

A+'s saved my GPA.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 am

shoeshine wrote:A+'s saved my GPA.
+1

To the limited extent my GPA was salvageable, of course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 am

I had this same thought, OP.

Not that there are a ton of A+ grades tossed around in engineering classes, but all my semi-retarded humanities classes could've helped.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 am

Yea definitely felt at a disadvantage that my university didn't offer A+'s while others did.

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 am

No A+s at my school, either. Would've been nice.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:40 am

My University did not give any A+s. Unfortunately, they did gave out A-s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:04 am

I'd rather phrase it as "schools shouldn't be allowed to give out A+ grades"

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:27 am

Last edited by Yukos on Mon May 11, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:46 am

LSAC shouldn't count the +or- IMO. My school only has minuses, for example

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:47 am

I agree that the current grading systems don't make sense. I believe all colleges and universities (undergrad and graduate) schools should give numerical grades as individual assignment and course grades, as do some schools. The system is less prone to error and allows for better differentiation between students because professors get to assess students more specifically via the use of decimals. Plus LSAC and GMAC would not have to engage in conversions.

For instance, profs at the University of Washington grade assignments and courses on a scale from 0.0 to 4.0, and they can grade to the nearest tenth. For example, a student's grades for one quarter might be 4.0, 4.0 and 3.0.

The quarterly GPA would be calculated by multiplying the garade point for a course (for example a 4.0) by the number of course credits (say 5, which is what a course that meets five days a week would be worth). For that course, a person would receive 20 grade points.

Lets say that a person had took three courses and totaled 49 grade points for the quarter:

20 + 20 + 9.

If the student took three courses, two at 5 credits each (and earned 4.0 in each) and one for 3 credits (earning a 3.0 grade), the quarterly GPA would be calculated as follows:

49 divided by 13 for a 3.77 Quarter GPA (it would also work that way if a student received those grades on three assignments in a course (assuming the weights 5 to 5 to 3).

Just imagine if the persons grades were 3.7, 3.6 and 3.9. Over the long haul, the numerical grading system is so much more accurate because of the specificity begins with numerical grades on specific assignments.

If someone argues that the scale should be 0.0 to 4.4, I can agree with that, but the letter grade system is obsolete.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:52 pm

I PM'd Dean Pless at UIllinois to see if Deans recognize that it would be easier to get a higher GPA at a school that gives A+ than a school that doesn't. I don't think he understood my question because his answer was something along the lines of "Yes, if you get A+s... it'll boost your cumulative LSDAS GPA"

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:I PM'd Dean Pless at UIllinois to see if Deans recognize that it would be easier to get a higher GPA at a school that gives A+ than a school that doesn't. I don't think he understood my question because his answer was something along the lines of "Yes, if you get A+s... it'll boost your cumulative LSDAS GPA"
Well, it is unfair that people get high 90s percentages in class but then only get an A when others get an A+, but keep in mind that many of these A+ schools grade on a curve in most of their classes. Which would be a worse than the benefit of possibly getting an A+ IMO.

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Yukos wrote:My original problem with GPAs is A-'s bring it down while A+'s do nothing to help it. LSAC fixed that so I have no complaints :) (yay TTT state university grades)
Wait, LSAC fixed that? How so?

I have a bunch of A- on my GPA, but 3 (yes, THREE) 99+% in classes that were not listed as A+ due to there being no such thing as an A+ at my school.

And I'm not in Canada, I'm in CA. ...Although I *am* an honorary canadian (and don't ask me what that took).

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 pm

minnbills wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:I PM'd Dean Pless at UIllinois to see if Deans recognize that it would be easier to get a higher GPA at a school that gives A+ than a school that doesn't. I don't think he understood my question because his answer was something along the lines of "Yes, if you get A+s... it'll boost your cumulative LSDAS GPA"
Well, it is unfair that people get high 90s percentages in class but then only get an A when others get an A+, but keep in mind that many of these A+ schools grade on a curve in most of their classes. Which would be a worse than the benefit of possibly getting an A+ IMO.
Does any school curve math/science/engineering classes? That would seem absurd to me. The answer's either right or wrong, no matter how many people in the class got it right.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Does any school curve math/science/engineering classes? That would seem absurd to me. The answer's either right or wrong, no matter how many people in the class got it right.
Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the higher level science courses are curved at my ug

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 pm

minnbills wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the higher level science courses are curved at my ug
That's retarded. So if every person in the class gets every question on an exam right, everyone gets a C?

Or is not a true bell curve, so that the highest grades in the class just set what an A is?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:That's retarded. So if every person in the class gets every question on an exam right, everyone gets a C?

Or is not a true bell curve, so that the highest grades in the class just set what an A is?
Nobody ever gets everything right. A friend of mine who takes these classes would get 40% right and get an A- or B+.

Most people end up with Cs or low Bs is my understanding.

EDITed to take out the stupidity
Last edited by minnbills on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:29 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Does any school curve math/science/engineering classes? That would seem absurd to me. The answer's either right or wrong, no matter how many people in the class got it right.
That sounds as though it betrays an ignorance of how upper-level mathematics courses are run, and what they require, but I'm not sure I understand you, and thus might be missing the good point you're trying to make. How do you suggest they should be graded?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
A test where anyone gets a 100% is a poor test.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
A test where anyone gets a 100% is a poor test.
Please don't talk about our sacred LSAT like that.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 am

Last edited by Yukos on Mon May 11, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Sorry bro, but I LOOOOOOVE my A+s :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”