LOR Help!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mtyler19

LOR Help!!

Postby mtyler19 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:21 pm

So sorry if this information is already somewhere else but I'm a newbie and not sure about my situation. I asked one of my professors for a LOR, also happens to be assistant dean of department my major is in. I sent them a reminder e-mail as they requested, and included that I would need their address so I could forward them an addressed envelope and the LSAC form that must accompany their letter. The reply I received a week later was basically "here's the letter feel free to print or forward, let me know if you find errors as I have a heavy teaching load..." with her recommendation attached. Now that I've seen it what should I do??? Could I still sign the waiver?? Or should I just try to go to her office and leave a copy of it in an envelope for her to sign the seal? Can I even use it at all since I've read it?? or just forget about it and not use it?? (it sounded amazing btw). I just don't want to get in trouble for it now or later. Thanks so much!!!

Opie

Re: LOR Help!!

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 pm

I would call LSAC and ask frankly. Anything you wouldn't want them to know is something you don't want to do, so you have nothing to lose.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:13 pm

An explanation of the waiver to read LOR/Dean's Certs:

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, educational institutions are supposed to allow you to see recommendations that are part of your file after enrolling at the institution as a student. If you waive this right, you will waive your right to ask your institution to show you this letter.

This does not mean you cannot view the letter--it means you cannot view it because the university, rather than the letter writer, gave it to you post-enrollment. If the writer wants to share it with you, that's fine, and totally within the requirements of the waiver.

So, sign the waiver, but it'd be better for her to sign the seal, yes.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:20 pm

are you kidding me? just give it to the writer and ask her to put it in an envelope and sign her name on the the flap and then you can send it.

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:08 pm

ummm what flap, what seal? lol. I signed the LOR waiver form and all she signed was her letter.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:23 pm

941law wrote:ummm what flap, what seal? lol. I signed the LOR waiver form and all she signed was her letter.

I wouldn't worry. I did the same thing; signed the form, gave my recommenders an envelope ready to go, and they sent em in.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:00 am

acrossthelake wrote:An explanation of the waiver to read LOR/Dean's Certs:

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, educational institutions are supposed to allow you to see recommendations that are part of your file after enrolling at the institution as a student. If you waive this right, you will waive your right to ask your institution to show you this letter.

This does not mean you cannot view the letter--it means you cannot view it because the university, rather than the letter writer, gave it to you post-enrollment. If the writer wants to share it with you, that's fine, and totally within the requirements of the waiver.

So it also doesn't matter where its sent from or the return address?

This is great, thanks so much everyone!!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:An explanation of the waiver to read LOR/Dean's Certs:

So it also doesn't matter where its sent from or the return address?

This is great, thanks so much everyone!!

No the return address needs to be to her, not you. You're not supposed to send it, not because it runs aground of the act, but because you risk the office thinking you made the letter up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”