Oh God I missed the Oct registration deadline

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grey area

Oh God I missed the Oct registration deadline

Postby Grey area » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:35 am

Yeah, like a complete fking asshat. I'm in Asia so I can't late register either.
Here's my story.
Graduated 08 from college with a very embarrassing 2.7 gpa in a pretty easy major, took the june lsat this year, got a 167 after some preparation, thought I could probably do better in Oct. Except I can't take the test because I missed the deadline. I plan to take the December test one way or another, but I'm torn on what to do right now.
167 is a half-decent score but my GPA kind of shits on everything and I was hoping for 170+ this oct. My target schools are t10~t30ish and I don't know what my odds are with my current scores. A buddy also preparing for the lsat suggests that I should just put in my applications ASAP and then if i get rejected, apply again within the same cycle (can you do that?) with my hypothetically better score this december.
I really feel like a total idiot since with my GPA i need every advantage I can get and missing a deadline for a *very* important test is just unforgivable. Hopefully applying a couple of months later than I had hoped doesn't screw my chances up to bad.

So what would you do if you were in my situation?
(extra info: not an underrrepresented minority, but pretty unique diversity statement, if i do say so myself...)

JamMasterJ

Re: Oh God I missed the Oct registration deadline

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:39 am

Get a year or more of WE and apply early to NU with a 170something. It's either that or WUSTL or a mid T1 mid-western school

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 am

Grey area wrote:A buddy also preparing for the lsat suggests that I should just put in my applications ASAP and then if i get rejected, apply again within the same cycle (can you do that?) with my hypothetically better score this december.

No, you can't do that. You can only apply once per cycle; that's a good way to get schools to hate you.

Grey area

Postby Grey area » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:07 pm

I think probably my original question was a bit too broad.
How about, would you rather apply early oct with a 2.7 167 or late december with a 2.7 and 170?

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Grey area wrote:I think probably my original question was a bit too broad.
How about, would you rather apply early oct with a 2.7 167 or late december with a 2.7 and 170?

Late December with the 170. No question.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:36 pm

If you are really serious and ready to go, consider the late registration option for the US (perhaps Hawaii), then fly out for the exam.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:57 pm

haus wrote:If you are really serious and ready to go, consider the late registration option for the US (perhaps Hawaii), then fly out for the exam.

Lol seriously. I hear planes are all the rage these days

allthatglambition

Postby allthatglambition » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

I'd take the December exam. Law schools are mostly rolling admission. I had a friend who took the LSAT in December, applied in February, and got into BU Law. It's definitely worth a shot!

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Even people with excellent LSAT scores get denied late in the season(check out LSN). If serious about law school, taking a year for WE and improving your LSAT sounds best.

blazinswordofjustice

Postby blazinswordofjustice » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Grey area wrote:I think probably my original question was a bit too broad.

How about early oct next year with a 170 and more WE?

I know it sucks to wait a year, but I think given your lower gpa you should really consider applying next year as early as you can, this way you can focus on the LSAT now too…

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”