Work experience needed to count before law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarveyBirdman

New

Work experience needed to count before law school?

Post by HarveyBirdman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 pm

How much work experience before law school is needed to really "count" and be advantageous to an applicant? Two years?

I mean let's say I just started a job at a law firm last month with plans to do that for a while after college and then apply to law school. Should I aim to apply for fall 2013 or should I wait until 2014? If I apply for 2013, I'll have worked there two years when I leave to go to law school, but only a year and a couple months when going through the actual application process.

minnbills

Gold

Re: Work experience needed to count before law school?

Post by minnbills » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 pm

I think a year of WE before you matriculate is the standard, not sure though.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:42 pm

minnbills wrote:I think a year of WE before you matriculate is the standard, not sure though.
This. And what matters is how much experience you'll have when you start. They get that you'll keep working until you start. Besides, I think WE after the first year matters more for OCI, and by the time you do OCI you'll have put your two years in.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:06 pm

A year, eh? Where did I get two years from? Maybe I was just thinking of Northwestern's requirement...

swoozie

Bronze

Post by swoozie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
minnbills wrote:I think a year of WE before you matriculate is the standard, not sure though.
This. And what matters is how much experience you'll have when you start. They get that you'll keep working until you start. Besides, I think WE after the first year matters more for OCI, and by the time you do OCI you'll have put your two years in.
Apologies for hijacking, but what kind of notice do you think you should give if you -aren't- going to keep working until school starts? I'm currently still working, and will be up until my apps are submitted, so I have my job listed as "Month YYYY - present". But I probably won't be working at this job come end of this year and the dates aren't set yet, should I send an update to any standing apps I have at that time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:25 pm

swoozie wrote:should I send an update to any standing apps I have at that time?
You're ethically bound to keep your law school admissions profile as up-to-date as possible per the certification you sign at the end of each application (e.g. University of Chicago certification: "By submitting this certification, I certify that the information I have provided in this application and all supporting materials is true and complete. I also certify that I am the author of all statements and additional materials included with this application. I understand that it is my obligation to notify the Admissions Office immediately if there are any changes in or updates to the information I have provided in this application.").

swoozie

Bronze

Post by swoozie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 pm

^Thanks!

haven't gotten that far yet :oops:

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote: You're ethically bound to keep your law school admissions profile as up-to-date as possible per the certification you sign at the end of each application (e.g. University of Chicago certification: "By submitting this certification, I certify that the information I have provided in this application and all supporting materials is true and complete. I also certify that I am the author of all statements and additional materials included with this application. I understand that it is my obligation to notify the Admissions Office immediately if there are any changes in or updates to the information I have provided in this application.").
That doesn't mean update in anticipation of a change months down the road.

It would be odd to say: "I anticipate leaving when I matriculate." Just update when you do leave

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 pm

swoozie wrote:^Thanks!

haven't gotten that far yet :oops:
No problem. I'm glad to help. You're still early, no rush. :D
minnbills wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote: You're ethically bound to keep your law school admissions profile as up-to-date as possible per the certification you sign at the end of each application (e.g. University of Chicago certification: "By submitting this certification, I certify that the information I have provided in this application and all supporting materials is true and complete. I also certify that I am the author of all statements and additional materials included with this application. I understand that it is my obligation to notify the Admissions Office immediately if there are any changes in or updates to the information I have provided in this application.").
That doesn't mean update in anticipation of a change months down the road.

It would be odd to say: "I anticipate leaving when I matriculate." Just update when you do leave
I agree. I was just trying to say that if swoozie did quit, he/she would have to update AdComms. You're completely right that it would be silly to say that you anticipate quitting your job on your law school apps.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Cool, I just assumed you were trying to tell him to update in anticipation of him quitting. I didn't want OP to do that lol, that would be weird

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”