Was my undergraduate ed disrupted for a semester or more?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sfamor

Was my undergraduate ed disrupted for a semester or more?

Postby sfamor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:54 pm

This question seems to be on most apps and I'm not sure how to answer. I did a study abroad program through CIEE (council on international education) my junior fall semester and it shows up on my undergrad transcript as Leave of Absence. I was technically going to school, it was just not a program through my school. Should I say yes or no to the question about my undergrad ed being disrupted for a semester or more? Do I need to write an addendum explaining?

I plan to have CIEE send my transcript to LSAC, but since CIEE is a study abroad facilitator, not an actual school I can't add it to the list of schools attended. On a slightly separate note, should I be putting the school I attended in the Dominican Republic on my study abroad program through CIEE on my list of schools attended? I know LSAC's line is that you shouldn't list it as an institution attended unless it was for more than a year, but I want to show that I wasn't just taking a semester off to do nothing. The transcript will be coming from CIEE, not from the institution I attended.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Was my undergraduate ed disrupted for a semester or more?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:03 pm

If your undergraduate education was not interrupted while in CIEE, then say no. Since it says leave of absence on your transcript, explain it through an addendum. Stuff like this really is not a big deal. Just make sure the Adcomms can tell what happened.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”