evaluator vs. recommender?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lakers3peat

evaluator vs. recommender?

Postby lakers3peat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:44 pm

I got two professors to agree to write letters of rec for me but I'm noticing this evaluator option and wondering what the pros/cons to having them evaluate me may be?

I feel like its a lot to ask of them to write a letter of rec, would asking them to do an evaluation too be too much?

Will it help my chances at law school?

Sorry for asking this here but the LSAC FAQ is pretty abysmal........

Samara

Re: evaluator vs. recommender?

Postby Samara » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Don't bother with evaluations. Northwestern experimented with them for a couple cycles, but abandoned them this year. I know of no other school that asks for them, some (UVa, I think) even discourage them.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:34 pm

damn it, not knowing what i was doing, i setup one of my recommenders as an evaluator. They sent him an e-mail about doing an evaluation but its hard to get intouch with him to know whether or not he even go tit. Not knowing i can't cancel this, I know have this professor as an evaluator and a recommender when he's already doing me a favor and I have to get on him to do both now...

you live and you learn... evaluator = waste of time *sigh*

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:06 pm

lakers3peat wrote:damn it, not knowing what i was doing, i setup one of my recommenders as an evaluator. They sent him an e-mail about doing an evaluation but its hard to get intouch with him to know whether or not he even go tit. Not knowing i can't cancel this, I know have this professor as an evaluator and a recommender when he's already doing me a favor and I have to get on him to do both now...

you live and you learn... evaluator = waste of time *sigh*

Well, if you already have the evaluation done, I'm sure you could use it. It's just that if you're already getting letters, it's unnecessary to also get evaluations.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 am

he hasn't finished the evaluation. i just got him to agree to do the letter for me and then in registering him with LSAC, i put him down as an evaluator also but now I cant change it to just recommender so I have to explain that he needs to do both and hope its not too troubling for him... u see what im saying?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:51 am

Oh, that's not a problem. Leave the evaluation alone and just don't assign it to any application. If you can't get it to do what you want, call or email LSAC and they'll fix it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”