Academic Probation Count for Disciplinary Action?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tryingtowin

Academic Probation Count for Disciplinary Action?

Postby tryingtowin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:29 am

does it count as a disciplinary action on law school apps, And if it does count, is it a serious issue to be nervous about? was on it my freshman year.. But I graduated in the 3s so does it matter? Dont know if I have to check the yes box for that disciplinary question on the applications. please inform
Last edited by tryingtowin on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CynicusRex

Re: Academic Probation Count for Disciplinary Action?

Postby CynicusRex » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:02 pm

tryingtowin wrote:does it count as a disciplinary action on law school apps, And if it does count, is it a serious issue to be nervous about? was on it my freshman year.. But I graduated 3.6 so does it matter? Dont know if I have to check the yes box for that disciplinary question on the applications. please inform

No, it's not a disciplinary action. That refers only to some wrongdoing (or allegation of wrongdoing). Getting bad grades doesn't count, and it's not anything to be worried about.

I think 25% of my 1L class ended up on academic probation.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Read the app, some count this in their description. If in doubt, call the admissions office and ask anonymously.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:42 am

Most the time it includes academic probation specifically. I think I disclosed it on all the apps, if they look closely they'll see it on your transcript anyways.

Also it's not a big deal. It's pretty common actually.

CynicusRex

Postby CynicusRex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 am

Really? That's idiotic. It is not, by definition, a disciplinary issue. If law schools are choosing to redefine a word so it means something different than what it means in English, that's just dumb.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:14 am

CynicusRex wrote:Really? That's idiotic. It is not, by definition, a disciplinary issue. If law schools are choosing to redefine a word so it means something different than what it means in English, that's just dumb.

How is it not disciplinary? They are giving you one last chance to improve or you're out.

Michigan wrote:Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for academic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate, or professional schools you have attended, or are such charges pending or expected to be brought against you?

Penn wrote:Have you ever been placed on academic probation or been required to withdraw from any school for academic reasons? It's in a separate question...

UVA wrote:Have you ever been sanctioned in a disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate or professional schools you have attended?

Columbia wrote:Have you ever been on academic probation or subjected to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons by any college, university, graduate school, or professional school you have attended? This should include matters that have been expunged.

Penn State wrote:Have you ever been subject to any disciplinary action, placed on academic probation, dismissed, suspended, expelled, asked to withdraw for academic reasons, or been subject to any action for misconduct or honor code violation at any school, college, university, or graduate/ professional school, or is any such action pending or expected to be brought against you?

Like I said, read the application language. Lawyers (and law students) like to mince words about what needs to be disclosed. Applications and C&F are not the time to do it. GIve them the widest possible interpretation possible.
Michigan wrote:While answering the two questions below, when in doubt, err on the side of full disclosure, as the failure to fully answer any question may result in exclusion from law school or denial of the opportunity to take a state bar examination.

I doubt it matters. Disclose and write an addendum saying you were young and didn't study, learned from it, and your GPA reflects it hasn't been an issue since.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:40 am

CynicusRex wrote:If law schools are choosing to redefine a word so it means something different than what it means in English, that's just dumb.

You're really going to hate some classes at law school then...

CynicusRex

Postby CynicusRex » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:51 pm

bp shinners wrote:
CynicusRex wrote:If law schools are choosing to redefine a word so it means something different than what it means in English, that's just dumb.

You're really going to hate some classes at law school then...

I graduated several years ago...Trust me, the kind of people who work at law schools are not in sync with reality. Don't let them trick you into thinking how they define something is how it's done in the real world.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”