Disclose? Broke a university rule to not have girls in my ro Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I disclose?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 19

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Disclose? Broke a university rule to not have girls in my ro

Post by Hopefully2012 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 pm

My university had a rule that we couldn't have anyone of the opposite gender in our dorm rooms after a certain time. During the first semester of my freshmen year, I had a girl in my room and remember getting an email warning from my RA/Housing Office because of it. I was not put on probation and there was no real penalty for it except "don't do it again"-type of thing. It's pretty clear that most schools don't require this kind of disclosure but what about NYU's

"Have you ever been subject to academic or any other disciplinary sanctions, or are charges pending at any academic institution?"

Should I disclose this? I only ask because it would require a dean's certification sent to NYU so I would need to get on that asap. Was this a "disciplinary sanction" in your opinions?
Last edited by Hopefully2012 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Re: Disclose? Broke a university rule to not have girls in my ro

Post by Moomoo2u » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:28 pm

one of their app questions also asks if you've had any issues with your school (in character & fitness as I recall). I would disclose it in a 3-4 sentence addendum, NBD. They won't care, and you'll be in the clear for disclosing it.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:one of their app questions also asks if you've had any issues with your school (in character & fitness as I recall). I would disclose it in a 3-4 sentence addendum, NBD. They won't care, and you'll be in the clear for disclosing it.
Thanks! That makes sense. It's just such a pain to ask my UG to send letters for such a small incident.

I'm hoping for maybe 2 or 3 more people's input on this before asking for a dean's cert (doesn't have to disagree with the above advice).

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Unless it was a formal warning, and thus entered into your main file, I would not worry about it. Seems to me that it was just a personal email from the RA. However, when in doubt, disclosure is usually preferred.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Yea... that's the problem. I don't remember if it was an official email from the Housing Office or from the RA himself. I graduated last year and don't have access to my university email anymore so there's no way to be sure. Thanks for your input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:41 pm

God that shit is stupid.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm

CG614 wrote:Unless it was a formal warning, and thus entered into your main file, I would not worry about it. Seems to me that it was just a personal email from the RA. However, when in doubt, disclosure is usually preferred.
+1 If you weren't given any notification of a reprimand or the like you really don't need to report it.

If you're really worried I would contact your school's dean and ask if they have any record of a sanction or something.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote: "Have you ever been subject to academic or any other disciplinary sanctions, or are charges pending at any academic institution?"
An email warning from an RA does not sound like a sanction to me:

the detriment, loss of reward, or coercive intervention annexed to a violation of a law as a means of enforcing the law

There are other definitions of sanction, this seemed most applicable.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:My university had a rule that we couldn't have anyone of the opposite gender in our dorm rooms after a certain time. During the first semester of my freshmen year, I had a girl in my room and remember getting an email warning from my RA/Housing Office because of it. I was not put on probation and there was no real penalty for it except "don't do it again"-type of thing. It's pretty clear that most schools don't require this kind of disclosure but what about NYU's

"Have you ever been subject to academic or any other disciplinary sanctions, or are charges pending at any academic institution?"

Should I disclose this? I only ask because it would require a dean's certification sent to NYU so I would need to get on that asap. Was this a "disciplinary sanction" in your opinions?
BYU? BJU? BTU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Disclose, and include an addendum apologizing for being a baller. Include a picture with the caption "Don't hate the player hate the game"

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:16 pm

minnbills wrote:If you're really worried I would contact your school's dean and ask if they have any record of a sanction or something.
I like this. I called the office of the dean and they told me to email about 4 (deans and assistant deans) to explain what happened and what they thought... undergrad efficiency for you. fml. Just sent that email out.
quakeroats wrote:BYU? BJU? BTU?
Nope, religious school though.
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Disclose, and include an addendum apologizing for being a baller. Include a picture with the caption "Don't hate the player hate the game"
Perhaps a photo of a male member of Jersey Shore? haha It really wasn't even that big of a deal, the RA didn't walk in on anything. That's why it was only a warning. Hoping to get this taken care of before the 15th, tbh I completely forgot about the incident until I read those C&F questions.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I know when I requested a Dean's Cert (for the schools that required one), the assistant dean in charge of those would email you saying what exactly would be reported. In my case it was nothing. You may want to do the same-it's common, and it's not really asking much. And if it's not in a record then there's no need to report it. And if you do have to report it, nowhere but BYU and maybe ND will give a shit. Jesuit schools won't care. Btw, I'm told you can be expelled for having sex in an ND dorm-seriously? I know it's a Catholic school and all but-seriously?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”