Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yellowtree

Fee Waivers

Postby Yellowtree » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:57 am

I received a couple fee waivers after June LSAT. Is it possible to request more from schools and if so do they give these based on numbers or financial need?

Bildungsroman

Re: Fee Waivers

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:35 am

There are a few things you can do.

You can request merit fee waivers. Some schools will for just about anyone (UVA), others just do not give them out by request (like UChi). Send an email to the admissions office including your numbers and requesting a waiver. Not all schools do merit waivers at all, unsolicited or otherwise (HYS and Berkeley come to mind).

You can request a need-based waiver from LSAC. This will get you 4 free score reports (saving $16 each), and almost all schools will automatically waive your application fee if LSAC approves you for a need-based waiver. LSAC is extremely strict about handing these out though.

Some schools have their own need-based fee waivers you can request by filling out a form and providing some documents/info. Yale, for instance, has their own need-based waiver form.

Yellowtree

Postby Yellowtree » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:46 pm

thanks for the info

yikes0117

Postby yikes0117 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:41 pm

It can't hurt to send out a bunch of emails asking for merit-based waivers. The worst that they can do is say no (and/or make you feel like an idiot, which is what Chicago did to me). I sent emails to the top 20 schools using the email format from the TLS admissions articles. Most schools politely told me that they didn't do merit-based or that I would have to go through LSAC's CRS, but UVA and Georgetown waived my fee. $150 savings is a pretty sweet return on the 20 minutes it took to send out the emails!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”