Listing other schools when prompted on applications Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amc987

Silver

Listing other schools when prompted on applications

Post by amc987 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:33 am

Hey all,

I am procrastinating writing my personal statement by filling out some of the biographical forms for law schools I plan to apply to later this fall. The UChicago and Columbia apps asked whether I was planning on applying to other law schools, and if so, to which other law schools. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but this appears to be a way to determine whether an applicant really wants to go to said school or whether they're just using it as some sort of back up. Has anyone answered this question honestly and encountered problems with some of their back up schools? Am I reading too much into this? It seems like law schools should expect applicants to their school to apply to peer institutions, right?

I'm a little worried that if I have to answer this question for a lower ranked school known for YP--Duke or UVA for example--and I say that I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc. those schools might think I don't actually want to go and my admissions prospects could suffer. What's the best way to answer these questions honestly without compromising your chances at certain law schools?

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: Listing other schools when prompted on applications

Post by kahechsof » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 am

lying?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:38 am

I just list a few peer law schools and an "etc." at the end. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:39 am

Dude, they don't care. Why would you not apply to peer schools? They'd probably look at you more weirdly if you only listed their school. My guess is that they're doing it to see who their main recruiting competition is.

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:46 am

Dany wrote:Dude, they don't care. Why would you not apply to peer schools? They'd probably look at you more weirdly if you only listed their school. My guess is that they're doing it to see who their main recruiting competition is.
So, if you're the admissions officer at Duke or UVA, you're telling me that you aren't even a little wary of someone who says they're applying to YHSCCN? Oh, and I'm also applying to your school... I don't think that sounds so good. I wasn't suggesting writing that I'm ONLY applying to the school in question. But is there a such thing as being too honest in this case?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:50 am

If your numbers are YHSCCN-worthy, they know you're applying anyway. If you have a 175/3.9 I know you're a liar if you just put a few peer schools of UVA/Duke. Anyway, last year Duke and UVA did not ask this question, and they've done plenty of yield-protecting without it.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:55 am

Its optional. You can either:

1) Not answer

or

2) Answer honestly and completely

Choose one, continue on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?