Thoughts on my Resume? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ThreeRivers

Silver

Thoughts on my Resume?

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:37 pm

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Thoughts on my Resume?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 pm

It's easy to read, which is probably the most important thing.

If I need someone to assist with cleanliness, you are definitely my guy :wink:

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:04 pm

meh,

add stuff about your interests/awards etc if this is for Law School. Easy to read though.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Shouldn't things be in the past tense?

Why are your bullets so far indented that they practically center align those sentences?
Nightrunner wrote:Your experience and education should (almost) always be listed from most recent to least recent, not the other way around.

Also, this:.
* Search for ways to connect with guests by empowering them to customize and create an enjoyable experience every time.
is an abortion.
+1

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 pm

Wow, dumb mistake by me on the out of order Education / employment.

I should probably clear up the indents as well.

On the "abortion" part, that actually is in my real-life job description (lol I know), but on second thought I'm agreeing with all of you and will delete or re-word that.

Thanks for the advice! (Reason I posted it was to find out what was good / what was negative about it, I have 0 experience in making resumes).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:meh,

add stuff about your interests/awards etc if this is for Law School. Easy to read though.
Sadly, anything that can be classified under "awards" is listed in my honors. I am quite weak when it comes to that part of my application... I already know this. On the interest part, is it common practice to include a section on just things you "enjoy?" I mentioned my activities / the ones towards the end can be classified more as "interests" in some manner. Is this sufficient or is an interest section recommended?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:31 pm

1. Always arrange in reverse chronological, 2010-Present should appear before 07-08.

2. Consistency. If possible include your GPA from your other schools.

3. Who the fuck puts the year first? Important>Trivial.
Boston University Boston, MA
B.A. cum laude Sept. 08 - May 09

4. Bulletpointing it out like that makes me realize how little you've done. Do it paragraph style, so below the line for the school write:

Honors: Dean's List (six semesters); National Society of Leadership; Presidential Scholar Honor Convocation; Academic Honors Convocation.

Activities: Thea Xi Fraternity (Scholarship Chairman 08; Fundraising Chairman 07); Counselor; etc.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Cupidity wrote:1. Always arrange in reverse chronological, 2010-Present should appear before 07-08.

2. Consistency. If possible include your GPA from your other schools.

3. Who the fuck puts the year first? Important>Trivial.
Boston University Boston, MA
B.A. cum laude Sept. 08 - May 09

4. Bulletpointing it out like that makes me realize how little you've done. Do it paragraph style, so below the line for the school write:

Honors: Dean's List (six semesters); National Society of Leadership; Presidential Scholar Honor Convocation; Academic Honors Convocation.

Activities: Thea Xi Fraternity (Scholarship Chairman 08; Fundraising Chairman 07); Counselor; etc.
Thanks, I'm definitely new to resume building. If I did it paragraph style / just listed my 4 honors / 10 activities it would be like 8 lines long?

Also, I got a 4.0 at the 2nd university, but I am not proud of the 1st university's GPA... so I just included the one I will get my degree from. Also, I don't even have a major to list for those other ones. What should I do in that situation? Just include the university in which I would get my degree? It would look pretty bad if I listed information from 2 universities, but not the third (even if they have my transcripts)

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:47 pm

The title of your university should have its own line. It should not read "Secondary education, California University" but rather "California University."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:02 am

What about the intramural sports part? I have neglected that from my resume, but I just wanted to know what others thought about it.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:05 am

Tom Joad wrote:What about the intramural sports part? I have neglected that from my resume, but I just wanted to know what others thought about it.
I debated that forever, I put it in only because my softs are pretty poor) :(

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:12 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:What about the intramural sports part? I have neglected that from my resume, but I just wanted to know what others thought about it.
I debated that forever, I put it in only because my softs are pretty poor) :(
Just say you were awarded a Purple Heart or something. I kid I kid.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:45 am

New resume- http://word.office.live.com/wv/WordView ... title=tls2

Original resume - http://word.office.live.com/wv/WordView ... &title=tls

Alright, I took everyone's advice and just created a new resume. Please let me know how you like it / how it compares to the OP.

How I think it improved:
Doesn't look like a 12 year old made it
Cleared up some dumb (no other word for it) mistakes
Got rid of some inconsistencies

What concerns me:
I now only list the institution I graduated from to avoid listing information on just 2 of the colleges (the one GPA I am not proud of). Is this OK?
I think I may have lost some of the "easiness to read" with the new design, agree or disagree?
Some criticized the excessive bullet pointing, so I got rid of it... I now worry that my achievement list seems SO small, agree or disagree?

Any critiques (positive or negative) are encouraged, thanks!

edit: I just noticed some grammatical errors in my job descriptions, I will fix those

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

T-Account

New

Post by T-Account » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:13 am

This is perhaps just my personal opinion as I've heard it debated time and again but the objective statements (all obj statements, not just yours) read as pretty amateur. Obviously your objective is to get into law school, which would be evident by the reader's reading of the resume. It just takes up space which it seems you need to do...it looks obvious that you're just filling in white space with the obj statement.

There is far too much white space on the right. Next to awards and stuff. In order to take up more space I would suggest you describe the honors you received. The honors say you're good, but perhaps you should state how good you are by describing why you got the award. The same goes for activities. As chairman of committee what did you do? Describing what you did will help you take up space and help the reader understand what you did. When I read a resume and there are no descriptions I assume the position was a b.s. Position to put on a resume and had no actual responsibilities.

The job descriptions should be in the past tense. If you are currently employed then you can have that one section be in the present otherwise everything else you did in the past. Also, get rid of in this position. Waste of time and uninteresting to read. Start your descriptions with "action" words like "developed" or "managed." these will grab the reader's attention. Bullet points are definitely the way to go too (ie developed a new method for reducing processing time of invoices by 20%). Anytime you can add numerical details like the twenty percent bit, do it. Be specific with your accomplishments.

Sorry my response is a little long, but hopefully you find it helpful.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 am

-The font and style on the second one are much worse than the first one. Go back to the first template.

-You fixed it in the second one, but since I think you should go back to the first style, don't use full years for university dates and then "08"/"06" for your employment dates. Consistency is key.

-Don't put an objective. Wasted space.

-Put your other universities back under Education.

-In the first template, instead of doing the headings like "Education:" I would put them in all caps and bold them ("EDUCATION") without a colon.

-I really don't like paragraph form for job descriptions. I prefer bullets, but that might just be personal preference.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:27 pm

You should take out the "in this position I..." under your job descriptions. Avoid using personal pronouns as much as possible in your resume.

You also don't need an objective here: you're obviously applying to law schools, you don't need to tell them that right off the bat. If you'd like to flesh your activities section out a little, though, you might consider adding a sentence or two describing the positions you held (what did you do in history club? what did the leadership positions in your frat entail?) Especially since you're applying right out of undergrad, I don't think law schools will hold it against you that you haven't had more concrete stuff on your resume.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”