Speeding tickets

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Disclose or not?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 25

freestallion

Speeding tickets

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:07 pm

I unfortunately have some traffic tickets from high school, when I got into an accident. I didn't even think about disclosing this but I just started doubting. Do I have to disclose these tickets? I got into an accident so is this a "minor" traffic violation or not? I had literally just gotten my license in high school, and was not used to driving unfortunately :(

So... do I have to disclose this?? It is not a "criminal" offense....but a civil matter.
Last edited by freestallion on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kahechsof

Re: Speeding tickets

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Tickets like "failure to brake and avoid accident" kind of offense?
I'm guessing it is like a speeding ticket. But that's a guess. Why don't you make a poll?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 pm

kahechsof wrote:Tickets like "failure to brake and avoid accident" kind of offense?
I'm guessing it is like a speeding ticket. But that's a guess. Why don't you make a poll?

Thanks, I added a poll.

To be honest I do not even remember what the tickets were. It was like 5+ years ago. I have to dig through and find them but I think they were like wrong use of signal, etc...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 pm

You shouldnt need to if this is this case.

Also, if this is the case, they wont hurt you anyway.

bmili

Postby bmili » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:37 pm

i dont think an accident is a traffic violation unless a ticket was issued. Some schools ask for all violations of the law including minor moving violations, some exclude.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 pm

freestallion wrote:I unfortunately have some traffic tickets from high school, when I got into an accident. I didn't even think about disclosing this but I just started doubting. Do I have to disclose these tickets? I got into an accident so is this a "minor" traffic violation or not? I had literally just gotten my license in high school, and was not used to driving unfortunately :(

So... do I have to disclose this?? It is not a "criminal" offense....but a civil matter.

No one will care. Stop worrying.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Ok, thanks. I'm going to look up all the tickets and if they seem "minor" I will leave them out. However if a school asks for traffic tickets I will include them, I guess... I just don't want it to come back and hurt me, but I also don't know where to include it if a school specifically says "OTHER than minor traffic violations."

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:50 pm

freestallion wrote:Ok, thanks. I'm going to look up all the tickets and if they seem "minor" I will leave them out. However if a school asks for traffic tickets I will include them, I guess... I just don't want it to come back and hurt me, but I also don't know where to include it if a school specifically says "OTHER than minor traffic violations."

A speeding ticket is a minor traffic violation unless it's accompanied by reckless driving (I.E you got a ticket for going like 120 mph.)

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:36 am

minnbills wrote:
freestallion wrote:Ok, thanks. I'm going to look up all the tickets and if they seem "minor" I will leave them out. However if a school asks for traffic tickets I will include them, I guess... I just don't want it to come back and hurt me, but I also don't know where to include it if a school specifically says "OTHER than minor traffic violations."

A speeding ticket is a minor traffic violation unless it's accompanied by reckless driving (I.E you got a ticket for going like 120 mph.)

Sorry to bump this but I really need some feedback soon, as I want to submit an application asap. Is the following (a draft of my addendum) considered a minor traffic violation or not?

In June 2006, I got into a car accident while driving home from high school. I had slowed down while attempting to make a left turn, and was hit by the car behind me. I had just received my license in March 2006, and was unfamiliar with what to do in that situation. As a result, I kept driving. I was eventually pulled over and issued five tickets for delaying traffic, attempting to cut the divider, excess passengers, leaving the scene, and failure to report the accident. All of the tickets were dismissed except for attempting to cut the divider. I regret my actions and have learned to be a more cautious driver since this incident.

I have posted this elsewhere, but no responses. Any thoughts on whether I should submit/include this addendum?

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am

freestallion wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Sorry to bump this but I really need some feedback soon, as I want to submit an application asap. Is the following (a draft of my addendum) considered a minor traffic violation or not?

In June 2006, I got into a car accident while driving home from high school. I had slowed down while attempting to make a left turn, and was hit by the car behind me. I had just received my license in March 2006, and was unfamiliar with what to do in that situation. As a result, I kept driving. I was eventually pulled over and issued five tickets for delaying traffic, attempting to cut the divider, excess passengers, leaving the scene, and failure to report the accident. All of the tickets were dismissed except for attempting to cut the divider. I regret my actions and have learned to be a more cautious driver since this incident.

Attempting to cut the divider is a minor traffic violation. (Leaving the scene may not be, but that was dismissed.)

I have posted this elsewhere, but no responses. Any thoughts on whether I should submit/include this addendum?

I'd say it is a minor violation. (Leaving the scene is probably not, but that was dismissed.
Last edited by kahechsof on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am

I'd say it's a minor traffic violation.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:11 am

minnbills wrote:I'd say it's a minor traffic violation.

Ok, awesome. Thank you guys SO much! :mrgreen: I will try calling the schools to confirm but generally will leave it out, unless it does not say "except for minor traffic violations."

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:13 am

Some schools will specify on the application that they want you to disclose EVERYTHING.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:23 am

drmguy wrote:Some schools will specify on the application that they want you to disclose EVERYTHING.

When the language is really extensive you should probably disclose. I can't imagine anyone would hold this against you anyways.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 am

drmguy wrote:Some schools will specify on the application that they want you to disclose EVERYTHING.

Yeah, in those cases (NYU comes to mind...) I will definitely disclose. Most apps seem to say "disclose everything EXCEPT minor traffic violations." For those cases, I was primarily trying to determine if it is, indeed, a "minor" traffic violation.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 am

freestallion wrote:

Yeah, in those cases (NYU comes to mind...) I will definitely disclose. Most apps seem to say "disclose everything EXCEPT minor traffic violations." For those cases, I was primarily trying to determine if it is, indeed, a "minor" traffic violation.

Safest bet would be call and ask but I would say yours was a minor traffic violation.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:53 am

Why don't you figure out what the tickets are first...

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 am

MC Southstar wrote:Why don't you figure out what the tickets are first...

I did: I wrote it above if you read.

"I was eventually pulled over and issued five tickets for delaying traffic, attempting to cut the divider, excess passengers, leaving the scene, and failure to report the accident. All of the tickets were dismissed except for attempting to cut the divider"

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 pm

FWIW I'm disclosing my (minor) speeding tickets from 3 years ago if the prompt asks for any violations/offenses. Not disclosing when the prompt asks for misdemeanors and up.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:FWIW I'm disclosing my (minor) speeding tickets from 3 years ago if the prompt asks for any violations/offenses. Not disclosing when the prompt asks for misdemeanors and up.

Thanks. I think I'm going to look carefully at each school's question, and if it sounds like they want everything, I will definitely disclose it!

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:56 pm

I say disclose every time. Even if they don't require it on the application, why take the risk? You've already written it, so just attach it as an addendum and forget about it. Not that it would ever come to this, but why would you want to take the chance that it would be a problem down the line.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm

iowalum wrote:I say disclose every time. Even if they don't require it on the application, why take the risk? You've already written it, so just attach it as an addendum and forget about it. Not that it would ever come to this, but why would you want to take the chance that it would be a problem down the line.

Personally, I try to lessen the chance of my file making a *thump* sound when it hits their desks so I try not to include anything unless they specifically ask for it. During this application process, I've been following the instructions they give to a T in order to show them that I'm a meticulous person who reads through their prompts carefully. Just one method to this madness though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”