which educational institutions do we have to list? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

Bronze

which educational institutions do we have to list?

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 am

i know that last year, we did NOT have to list educational institutions in which are foreign and i THINK we received less than a certain amount of credits or stayed less than a certain amount of time. is this rule the same?

i realized that I did not list a school for which i attended for about 2 months (summer school) abroad, but then i mention the school in my personal statement.

does anyone know the policy?

any input would be greatly appreciated

thank you!

chem

Silver

Re: which educational institutions do we have to list?

Post by chem » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:28 am

The rule is the same

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:28 am

I have the same question. I studied abroad for 1 school year, but according to LSAC's previous policies I did *not* have to send in my transcripts from my study abroad school. I think this is still the policy.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:43 am

chem wrote:The rule is the same
if the rule is the same, but i mention it in one of my esays, can i still leave it out of the application?

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 am

freestallion wrote:I have the same question. I studied abroad for 1 school year, but according to LSAC's previous policies I did *not* have to send in my transcripts from my study abroad school. I think this is still the policy.

Send the transcript! I studied abroad at a foreign institution and LSAC placed a letter with my transcript in my CAS report. If your grades are good then I can't think of any reason why including extra info would be bad. My GPA would be higher if they'd included those grades so I definitely want the addcomm to see that I performed well instead of seeing "X credits from Y school".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 am

Moomoo2u wrote:
freestallion wrote:I have the same question. I studied abroad for 1 school year, but according to LSAC's previous policies I did *not* have to send in my transcripts from my study abroad school. I think this is still the policy.

Send the transcript! I studied abroad at a foreign institution and LSAC placed a letter with my transcript in my CAS report. If your grades are good then I can't think of any reason why including extra info would be bad. My GPA would be higher if they'd included those grades so I definitely want the addcomm to see that I performed well instead of seeing "X credits from Y school".
I think it depends. My school took the grades I got abroad, and put them on my undergraduate transcript, so it would be sending redundant information.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:53 am

chem wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:

I think it depends. My school took the grades I got abroad, and put them on my undergraduate transcript, so it would be sending redundant information.
Er my foreign institution was actually pretty harsh with grading. It would probably pull my GPA down a lot. It was a UK uni where it's basically impossible to get an "A" grade. So I'd rather not send it in considering it's not required. Hmm.

It says:
# institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study. Clear sponsorship means:

* the courses received the sponsoring institution's academic credit (not transfer credit);
* the course codes, titles, credits earned, and grades appear on the sponsoring institution's transcript. Typically, these grades and credits are included in the sponsoring institution's cumulative GPA. The courses are often administered and taught by the sponsoring institution's faculty at an overseas institution.
And
# you were directly enrolled at such an institution outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and the total amount of work you completed at all of these institutions combined is the equivalent of more than one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada.
I'm thinking I don't have to send it in since it's transfer credit...

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 am

ok, cool.

my question now is do we have to actually LIST the institution (even if we dont send the transcripts)

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am

sangr wrote:ok, cool.

my question now is do we have to actually LIST the institution (even if we dont send the transcripts)
if you list the institution you MUST send the transcript, otherwise your CAS will be incomplete

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 am

chem wrote:
sangr wrote:ok, cool.

if you list the institution you MUST send the transcript, otherwise your CAS will be incomplete
really?! i am just a little confused because on a specific school application it says: list ALL institutions attended. then has the school info section, but doesnt have GPA as a required slot that we have to fill in. do we have to list it then or not?
what does it mean by ALL institutions. ALL institutions in which we are required to send LSAC a grade?

letsgetitstarted

New

Post by letsgetitstarted » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:47 pm

I think Chem is wrong. There is a difference between "listing" the school with CAS and listing the school on your app. In my opinion you SHOULD list the school on your app. This won't have an effect on your CAS report. CAS is compiled and sent separately. You would not report ("list") the school to CAS, but you could list it on your application and probably should.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:40 am

letsgetitstarted wrote:I think Chem is wrong. There is a difference between "listing" the school with CAS and listing the school on your app. In my opinion you SHOULD list the school on your app. This won't have an effect on your CAS report. CAS is compiled and sent separately. You would not report ("list") the school to CAS, but you could list it on your application and probably should.
Try to list it on your App and LSAC will tell you that the institution is not in your CAS file, rendering your app incomplete

But by all means try

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 am

I didn't list my study abroad schools on the application form. They are listed on my resume. LSAC did not require transcripts from the schools because they were done through my undergrad uni or another American uni, and they already had both those transcripts. If a school really wants them, they can ask me for them and I will try to wrangle something up. I highly doubt this will be an issue. I don't think they are looking to trip us up on every little piece of information, but that's just me.

ETA: I also was never enrolled in them. My transcripts are from my undergrad institution and another US undergrad institution, listing both in my opinion is simply repetitive. I only have a GWU transcript from the 8 week summer abroad program. If I list them both, it looks like 2 different items when in reality it is 1 program. But on my resume, I don't have GWU, I have the foreign program listed, because I never actually went to GWU. Its unnecessarily complicated to over think these things.
Last edited by MumofCad on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

letsgetitstarted

New

Post by letsgetitstarted » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Last edited by letsgetitstarted on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Not sure if they vary greatly by college, but per the University of Iowa College of Law application, "Post-secondary Education: This listing must be complete. Include every institution attended, regardless of the duration of study, type of enrollment (i.e., extension, correspondence, etc.), or whether you earned a diploma or degree."

HeadToWall

New

Post by HeadToWall » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:58 am

On a similar note, as I was filling out some of the online applications I noticed that there is a 'High School' option in the institution pull-down menu of the education section. Are we supposed to list our high school among 'ALL academic institutions attended'? The instructions don't mention it at all.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 pm

HeadToWall wrote:On a similar note, as I was filling out some of the online applications I noticed that there is a 'High School' option in the institution pull-down menu of the education section. Are we supposed to list our high school among 'ALL academic institutions attended'? The instructions don't mention it at all.
Necro bump for this question. Does the all academic institutions attended section on applications include high schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”