LOR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mottainai

LOR question

Postby mottainai » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 am

I'd like to get my apps in quickly, but I've been reconsidering since I only have two professional LORs and no academic ones at the moment. I've been out of school over two years now and been able to secure two excellent professional recommendations. Does anyone think that it is necessary to submit an academic one? I didn't get a chance to form a relationship with any of my professors at college, so two years later, it seems unlikely I'll be able to get a good one.

Also, is it possible to send a LOR and update an application after it is submitted?

Tiago Splitter

Re: LOR question

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:27 am

I'd say an academic rec is necessary with you just two years out of undergrad. But different schools have different policies. If you can't get an academic rec, just submit the apps and see what happens.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if a recommendation letter can be added on your file after you complete your applications?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:32 pm

mottainai wrote:Does anyone know if a recommendation letter can be added on your file after you complete your applications?

They absolutely can.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:39 pm

I too have little to no connection with professors from my school, however, I was pleasantly surprised when I looked up a few of the professors that I scored well in class on and asked them. I supplied them with a couple of examples of papers I wrote for them and got necessary recs. One of those professors no longer worked for my undergrad school.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Depending on your where you are applying, you may very well need an academic one to be competitive.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:21 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
mottainai wrote:Does anyone know if a recommendation letter can be added on your file after you complete your applications?

They absolutely can.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks a million.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”