Which applications are open?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Susan_Walid
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 am

Which applications are open?

Postby Susan_Walid » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:51 pm

Can we start a thread (if there already isn't one) indicating which schools have opened their applications? UChicago is one them...any other ones open?

Thanks guys.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 pm

Most open tomorrow, NYU, Columbia, Penn (mich wont be available until Sept 15). etc

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Stanford is open.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:Most open tomorrow, NYU, Columbia, Penn (mich wont be available until Sept 15). etc


No. Mich is open tomorrow.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:24 pm

no.

"We begin accepting applications for first-year admission -- both summer and fall -- on September 1, although we are not able to begin reviewing applications until early November. (Please note: LSAC has informed us although the online application for Michigan will be available beginning September 1, applicants will not be able to submit their applications electronically until September 15.)"

Source: http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... pplication

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:27 pm

This person asked when applications would be open, not when they could be sent.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:This person asked when applications would be open, not when they could be sent.



What is the point of having applications open if you can't send them? The mich app has been available for a long time on their website as a template, and I'm fairly sure it will remain 98% unchanged.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:This person asked when applications would be open, not when they could be sent.


What is the point of having applications open if you can't send them? The mich app has been available for a long time on their website as a template, and I'm fairly sure it will remain 98% unchanged.


So you can fill it out beforehand and send it the moment you get a fee waiver.

LSAC is using a new system for applications: flexapp, or something along those lines. So my guess is it won't look like the template on their website but like the Chicago/Stanford ones. Not to mention you can't actually fill out the one on their website.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:46 pm

I guess, I never thought of spending 20min to fill in an app as long enough to justify having it ready for the fee waiver.

Anyway mich tomorrow, cant send it in until the 15th :P

User avatar
ThomasMN
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby ThomasMN » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:00 pm

I could see some real delays in sending out applications. I've noticed that the apps that have opened up so far have a lot of bugs in them. Don't be surprised if a lot of the applications are not 100% working tonight/tomorrow.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:06 pm

ThomasMN wrote:I could see some real delays in sending out applications. I've noticed that the apps that have opened up so far have a lot of bugs in them. Don't be surprised if a lot of the applications are not 100% working tonight/tomorrow.


Thank you!

Can you convince LSAC of this issue? I have a feeling I will be on the phone with them tomorrow, explaining the issue yet again. After that, I'll probably just give up and submit, flaws and all. Then my poor programming husband will be forced to defend yet another fellow developer from my moaning.

User avatar
tennisballs
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby tennisballs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 pm

ThomasMN wrote:I could see some real delays in sending out applications. I've noticed that the apps that have opened up so far have a lot of bugs in them. Don't be surprised if a lot of the applications are not 100% working tonight/tomorrow.

Illinois delayed to Sept. 15 because of LSAC system problems.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby minnbills » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

On a related note, how long does it take LSAC to calculate your grades?

I still haven't done this. Should probably take care of it today.

User avatar
takehold
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby takehold » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:34 pm

minnbills wrote:On a related note, how long does it take LSAC to calculate your grades?

I still haven't done this. Should probably take care of it today.


My Academic Summary Report was literally produced the day LSAC noted receipt of my last transcript. Not sure if this is the norm or maybe just a function of how they're not as busy this time of year.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby ahnhub » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 pm

A lot of schools say they don't actually start reviewing apps still October/November. So you think this mean's there is no advantage to getting yours in September as opposed to then?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15502
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 pm

ahnhub wrote:A lot of schools say they don't actually start reviewing apps still October/November. So you think this mean's there is no advantage to getting yours in September as opposed to then?


Yes. No advantage. Your odds of admission are the same if you send your app in on September 1st or October 15th. Odds could be affected just a bit as the October scores start rolling in just before Halloween.

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby 941law » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29 pm

30 more minutes!! Image

I'm assuming it will go like this:

12:00am: apply
12:08am: accepted
8:00am: Mercedes gets dropped off at my house

User avatar
ThomasMN
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Which applications are open?

Postby ThomasMN » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:36 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
ahnhub wrote:A lot of schools say they don't actually start reviewing apps still October/November. So you think this mean's there is no advantage to getting yours in September as opposed to then?


Yes. No advantage. Your odds of admission are the same if you send your app in on September 1st or October 15th. Odds could be affected just a bit as the October scores start rolling in just before Halloween.


This is very true. You are better off polishing your personal statement/resume/addenda until the end of September then getting everything submitted Today.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests