Letters of Recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bdl108

Letters of Recommendation

Postby bdl108 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi,

I am in the middle of intense preparation for the October LSAT and am currently weighing the option of applying to schools this cycle against doing so next year (or possibly a couple years down the road if I take a couple years off to work full-time). Though my LSAT performance may affect this choice, I am heavily leaning towards applying next cycle (or in a couple years) so I can gain additional work experience, make my applications perfect, and apply as early as possible in the cycle. I feel that if I were to apply this cycle after receiving my LSAT score in late October, I'd be rushed to get things out at the expense of quality, even though certain advantages can be argued for in terms of going to law school straight from undergrad.

As such, I plan on asking two professors for letters of recommendation in the very near future. I am aware that the Credential Assembly Service must be purchased to submit applications to schools, so I guess my question is as follows: Does LSAC accept letters of rec only if you have CAS, or does it keep any letters received on file regardless? Also, if I choose to apply one or two cycles from now, will schools view older letters (i.e. from now) in a negative light? I also have at least one strong non-academic rec lined up, but then again my impression is that schools strongly prefer and/or require academic references from younger applicants such as myself.

I'd appreciate any advice/direction you more knowledgeable TLS folks can offer. Thanks!

Samara

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Postby Samara » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:32 pm

1) Don't be afraid to wait a cycle, especially if you can get a decent job. Getting that work experience will only increase your chances of admission.

2) You have to buy CAS in order to submit LORs or transcript or anything else to LSAC. CAS lasts for five years, so you might as well buy it now.

3) "Older" letters will not be viewed negatively. It's more illuminating to know your recommenders' opinions on your work soon after you did it than a year after you've had contact with them. LORs are also good for five years. With two academic letters and one non-academic letter, you'll be in good shape.

Good luck!

bdl108

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Postby bdl108 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:07 pm

Ah. For some reason I was under the impression that CAS expired after one year. I'm glad I was mistaken! That certainly takes some pressure off :)

Looks like my post-LSAT focus will now be primarily on jobs (and maintaining my GPA of course). Thanks for the help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”