rec from teacher who is bad at english

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bluedvl

rec from teacher who is bad at english

Postby bluedvl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Is it a bad decision to get a rec from a teacher who is not that good at english? He moved to America recently and while he is a cool guy he has a pretty big accent and I'm not sure how good his written english is.

CanadianWolf

Re: rec from teacher who is bad at english

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Does he write with an accent ?

Regardless, if he is a foreign language or science/technical professor, then it should be fine. If he is your english professor, then it may not be a good idea to use him as a reference.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 pm

bluedvl wrote:Is it a bad decision to get a rec from a teacher who is not that good at english? He moved to America recently and while he is a cool guy he has a pretty big accent and I'm not sure how good his written english is.

It's a little pretentious to assume that just because he's foreign he won't write well. The guy is a professor I assume and can probably write a LOR without committing basic English mistakes.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:11 pm

If he really can't write English, he may just ask you to write it for him.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:16 pm

If he can't really write well in English, the school will assume you wrote the letter and have bad English skills.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:
bluedvl wrote:Is it a bad decision to get a rec from a teacher who is not that good at english? He moved to America recently and while he is a cool guy he has a pretty big accent and I'm not sure how good his written english is.

It's a little pretentious to assume that just because he's foreign he won't write well. The guy is a professor I assume and can probably write a LOR without committing basic English mistakes.

While I completely agree with what you're saying, I think most people would be surprised (horrified) at the number of mistakes that show up in recs. I have no idea if it hurts you, though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”