Don’t Hire People Who Went To Grad School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bildungsroman

Re: Don’t Hire People Who Went To Grad School

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm

MTal wrote:You may disagree with the contents of the article, but like it or not, this is the way hiring trends are going. Employers want someone with a proven track record of success in the real world, not someone with 7 years of worthless theoretical "training".

Thank you for your competent argument against business school; we here at top-business-schools.com really appreciate your continued contributions.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:33 pm

freestallion wrote:She's actually really famous -- but I'd say most of her fame comes from writing controversial blog posts. Other than that, I don't think she was that successful in other ways. She's really not successful in the traditional sense. And law students/lawyers/0Ls are probably on the most "traditional" or "conservative" end of the career path. She's all about entrepreneurship, business, being controversial, etc. I mean, I don't even think she should give advice considering all her success is just from writing outlandish BS.

She's not really successful in any sense, other than being "famous." She was dropped by Yahoo and was pushed out as the CEO of her own startup after the company was, in her words, "moving too fast for me to keep up."

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:35 pm

MTal wrote:You may disagree with the contents of the article, but like it or not, this is the way hiring trends are going. Employers want someone with a proven track record of success in the real world, not someone with 7 years of worthless theoretical "training".

I was hired into the discount brokerage industry with almost no practical experience. Why anyone would want to spend a career taking 100 calls a day or managing those who do (and dealing with the really shitty, escalated calls) is beyond me. Series 7 is meaningless dude.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Samara wrote:
freestallion wrote:She's actually really famous -- but I'd say most of her fame comes from writing controversial blog posts. Other than that, I don't think she was that successful in other ways. She's really not successful in the traditional sense. And law students/lawyers/0Ls are probably on the most "traditional" or "conservative" end of the career path. She's all about entrepreneurship, business, being controversial, etc. I mean, I don't even think she should give advice considering all her success is just from writing outlandish BS.

She's not really successful in any sense, other than being "famous." She was dropped by Yahoo and was pushed out as the CEO of her own startup after the company was, in her words, "moving too fast for me to keep up."

looks like her career got truncated. 8)

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:37 pm

IamJosh wrote:

That's like saying, "Hospitals are not interested in hiring doctors who went to business school and not medical school."

You apply for the job you're trained to do. Is anyone with a brain seriously going to law school to intentionally get a job outside of law?

+1 Exactly. Her advice may be more relevant to people in the business/entrepreneurship world, but not everyone wants to do that. I don't want to start my own company. I'm interested in a legal career. There is no way to do that other than law school.

I do agree that most lawyers are unhappy and there are too many lawyers out there. Supply > Demand. But it doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to law school at all (or grad school in general) if you get into a great school, are sure of what you want to do coming out of it, etc.

On the other hand, if you want to be successful for just being "famous" then please go ahead and start a blog, and write a ton of controversial crap. I'm sure you'll be as "successful" as Penelope Trunk then.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Thank you for your competent argument against business school; we here at top-business-schools.com really appreciate your continued contributions.

Just as top-b-schools.com was spun-off from TLS, this is MTal's latest attempt to get TLS branding for top-retail-stores.com, per Helmholtz's suggestion.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Yes. Don't hire physics PhD's to do research or engineering PhD's to design nuclear reactors. Those people are all idiots.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:50 pm

f7 wrote:Unsurprising.

Died laughing.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 pm

So, I get the backlash that is directed at Mtal here. But there is some truth to what he is saying. Education value is diminishing among most employers and having work experience is more important than ever. And a lot of people on here may be upset about it, but yes, if you can't find legal work your JD is not going "open doors" into other fields. The BA who has had 3 years finance experience will be the person you are competing with and they will, all other things held constant, get the job. Same in most other industries. Over education is a problem for a lot of people these days, especially those with masters in the humanities.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Died laughing.

I like the one where she talks about what it's like to have sex with an aspie.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Died laughing.

Nov. 2007 Stop thinking you'll get by on your high IQ

:roll:

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:but yes, if you can't find legal work your JD is not going "open doors" into other fields.

The thing is, everyone already knows this.

Unfortunately, we have the displeasure of MTal presenting hyperbolic rhetoric and one-sided arguments ad nauseam.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Died laughing.

I can peg my ovulation to the hour if I check every half-hour, which I can do because I can stick my hand in my vagina anywhere—even in a job interview, if the person leaves the room to get some water.

Clearly she's the right person to give advice on finding a job.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:but yes, if you can't find legal work your JD is not going "open doors" into other fields.

The thing is, everyone already knows this.

I don't think that's true, maybe the regulars on here. But that is an unrepresentative sample.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:58 pm

f7 wrote:Surprising:

Penelope Trunk, Brazen Careerist wrote:I went to graduate school for English...

Unsurprising.

Unsurprising wrote:I almost did not graduate college because I had too many library fines. I graduated only because my grandma made some calls.
Sounds like the perfect person to advise people on educational choices.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Died laughing.

My son's I.Q. is in the top .05% of all preschoolers

:lol: :lol:

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Died laughing.

My favorite was:

...but sometimes, I make you cringe.

I think I’m that way in bed, too.

ORLY? Tell me more

eta then I read on:

my mom taught me to do Kegel exercises before I even got my first period.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Moomoo2u wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Died laughing.

that has to be a troll post.

blink

Postby blink » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Image

I lol'd

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Died laughing.

I can peg my ovulation to the hour if I check every half-hour, which I can do because I can stick my hand in my vagina anywhere—even in a job interview, if the person leaves the room to get some water.

Clearly she's the right person to give advice on finding a job.

Next time I'm at the AT&T store and I find a phone logged into facebook, that's going to be a status update

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:04 pm

IamJosh wrote:Plus, everyone knows sex is the only reason people do anything. It's science. Anyone who can have sex without money doesn't need it.

This is absolutely and completely false.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:07 pm

MTal wrote:Excellent article with some great points:

http://www.openforum.com/articles/dont- ... nf-SBdaily

This person may actually have a point, but only if you (the job seeker) want to work in business. The thing is, business is boring.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:31 pm

MT;DR

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Is this blogger serious?

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:02 pm

MTal wrote:
TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:Everyone knows the prized workers are the ones with their GEDs. They couldn't wait to join the workforce so they dropped out AND showed the initiative to go back and earn their equivalency degree.

Broad brushstrokes paint terribly unrealistic pictures.

I'd rather hire a GED graduate with 7 years of work experience and real life practical skills, then a JD who's spent 7 years and 150k and learned essentially nothing that's applicable to the position he's applying for.

This whole statement = fail.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”