Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
AlabamaIceman
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby AlabamaIceman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:47 am

What I mean to say is, I scored a 169 in June, which I'm not completely happy with, I plan on some targeted study and re-take in October, and I'm wondering if it would be better overall to apply ASAP before the October test with my 169/3.95 and an addendum about taking the test again, or just wait with my finger on the trigger until the score comes in from the October test, and start the cycle then.

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby No13baby » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:56 am

October is still pretty early. I would say to have all the rest of your stuff (LORs, essays, etc.) ready to go before the LSAT so you can apply as soon as your scores come out.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:57 am

Most schools will hold your app until Oct unless you indicate otherwise. There's really not a big boost for getting in before then.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:58 am

most schools will ask you if you want them to look at your app with your old lsat score or hold it until the October one, so if you send it in now they'll look at it with the 169 (but they honestly wont even look at it until late october at the earliest)

TBH you'll probably get your LSAT score in a few weeks after you take it, which is still early enough for ED at some schools, and therefore early for RD as well.

So just wait until you get your new LSAT.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:00 pm

1. Bump LSAT by 2-3 points for CCN or by 5+ for HYS
2. Wait for LSAT score to come back
3. ????
4. Profit

In this case, ???? is "send out apps immediately after release".

User avatar
AlabamaIceman
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby AlabamaIceman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:09 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:1. Bump LSAT by 2-3 points for CCN or by 5+ for HYS
2. Wait for LSAT score to come back
3. ????
4. Profit

In this case, ???? is "send out apps immediately after release".


Thanks, but...

**backs slowly away from avatar**

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:13 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:1. Bump LSAT by 2-3 points for CCN or by 5+ for HYS
2. Wait for LSAT score to come back
3. ????
4. Profit

In this case, ???? is "send out apps immediately after release".

Bils actually got Chicago with a 168 and a similarly high gpa. You may be in the market for CCN as it stands (though a boost will def help w/ $)

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:most schools will ask you if you want them to look at your app with your old lsat score or hold it until the October one, so if you send it in now they'll look at it with the 169 (but they honestly wont even look at it until late october at the earliest)

TBH you'll probably get your LSAT score in a few weeks after you take it, which is still early enough for ED at some schools, and therefore early for RD as well.

So just wait until you get your new LSAT.


When does ED "end" for MVP? I'm in a similar position but with worse numbers than OP, so no T14s are worth EDing to right now. I had hoped to get 170+ on the October test and ED then, since that's basically my only chance for T14. Would hate to find out that I couldn't apply ED anymore that late.

Edit: answered my own question. For anyone else wondering, its Nov 1st for Michigan, Nov 15th for Penn, and there is no deadline for Virginia
Last edited by westinghouse60 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm in a similar pickle, Bama. I need to retake my 168 for NU, but would like to do ED also. Does the value of applying earlier increase with ED?

User avatar
blazinswordofjustice
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby blazinswordofjustice » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:10 pm

i would have everything else submitted or ready to go. last year, i waited to work on some stuff (PS, reccs) because i was LSATing so hard and it screwed me over because after the october test i was a little burnt out and it took me longer to get everything together = applying later...

so if you can study for the lsat and have all your stuff ready to go i would highly recommend it...

User avatar
AlabamaIceman
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby AlabamaIceman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:16 pm

A few people have mentioned ED, and maybe it's just my short list that has this trait, but most of the schools I am considering only have ED as an option that has limited or no scholarship $$ option, and therefore is less attractive to me.

While some of the ones at the upper end of my current score (Chicago, NYU) might be attractive through such an option, I'm not sure I would want to take even a "sure bet" at a school I was interested in if it meant excluding myself from money dropping in from other schools and a margin of negotiation.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:29 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I'm in a similar pickle, Bama. I need to retake my 168 for NU, but would like to do ED also. Does the value of applying earlier increase with ED?

IMO, ED is more about increasing yield than anything and showing that you're committed to the school. EDing on October 25 or whenever won't hurt that.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 pm

I would fill out all the applications, attach all supplemental documents, and then submit when you have the October score. That's still plenty early, and if you improve, you might also score some more fee waivers as a bonus.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:09 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:1. Bump LSAT by 2-3 points for CCN or by 5+ for HYS
2. Wait for LSAT score to come back
3. ????
4. Profit

In this case, ???? is "send out apps immediately after release".

Bils actually got Chicago with a 168 and a similarly high gpa. You may be in the market for CCN as it stands (though a boost will def help w/ $)


Bils' cycle went better than one can really be comfortable relying on. He got off of the WL pretty close to the last minute, too. Reverse-splitting is not a fun place to be, so I'll stand by my statement.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:13 pm

OP has a really solid shot at NYU as-is, though.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Re-taking in october, hold all apps until then or no?

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Yeah, let me backpedal and say that he is totally making me jelly. Couple more points for a probable lock at all of CCN and a few more than that for a decent shot at HYS.

But let's be serious, UChi>HYS>CN>MVP>Etc.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: christinaxcarrie, rararara111 and 10 guests