Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby ComatoseClown » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Can anyone who has tried this briefly share their experience, as well as any advice in doing this?

I feel like I'm specifically in a tough situation with little chance of success: It wasn't any medical illness that caused the 2.9 Freshman GPA I'm trying to 'erase'; if anything it was more due to an onerous time adjusting and tough living situation once I got onto campus that year. (I don't have any written documentation, and the professors if I wrote to them either would not know who I am anymore, or if they did they would consider my reasoning as a pity excuse for poor performance.) If I can't withdraw from these freshman, then the highest my GPA can be by the time I apply to LS (next fall, '012) is going to be a 3.4.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:32 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:Can anyone who has tried this briefly share their experience, as well as any advice in doing this?

I feel like I'm specifically in a tough situation with little chance of success: It wasn't any medical illness that caused the 2.9 Freshman GPA I'm trying to 'erase'; if anything it was more due to an onerous time adjusting and tough living situation once I got onto campus that year. (I don't have any written documentation, and the professors if I wrote to them either would not know who I am anymore, or if they did they would consider my reasoning as a pity excuse for poor performance.) If I can't withdraw from these freshman, then the highest my GPA can be by the time I apply to LS (next fall, '012) is going to be a 3.4.


I wouldn't think you have a good case for retroactive withdrawal. Everyone has a tough time adjusting to college. Plus, a 3.4 isn't the worst thing ever (attending NU from a 3.3). Do your best to get straight A's from here on out and get your LSAT score up.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 pm

From what I've seen, retroactive Ws are generally given to students who believe they withdrew from the course but messed up the administrative part of withdrawing (such as just not showing up for class and assuming they would be W'ed). If you're looking to have a school give you a W because you did poorly, I don't think they'll be willing to give you the 'do over', unfortunately.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Man up and move forward. There are few do-overs in the real world.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm

probably not going to work out for you.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:28 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Man up and move forward. There are few do-overs in the real world.

Harsh, but fair, as usual. +1.

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:14 pm

bp shinners wrote:From what I've seen, retroactive Ws are generally given to students who believe they withdrew from the course but messed up the administrative part of withdrawing (such as just not showing up for class and assuming they would be W'ed). If you're looking to have a school give you a W because you did poorly, I don't think they'll be willing to give you the 'do over', unfortunately.


+1 I fit into this category and was only even approved for half of my classes to be waived.

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby blink » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:18 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:Can anyone who has tried this briefly share their experience, as well as any advice in doing this?

I feel like I'm specifically in a tough situation with little chance of success: It wasn't any medical illness that caused the 2.9 Freshman GPA I'm trying to 'erase'; if anything it was more due to an onerous time adjusting and tough living situation once I got onto campus that year. (I don't have any written documentation, and the professors if I wrote to them either would not know who I am anymore, or if they did they would consider my reasoning as a pity excuse for poor performance.) If I can't withdraw from these freshman, then the highest my GPA can be by the time I apply to LS (next fall, '012) is going to be a 3.4.


Everything you just said is true about me as well. I'd love a time machine, but barring that, it's water under the bridge.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:46 pm

I actually got a retroactive withdrawal for the second semester of my freshman year. I went through a family tragedy at the time so I had a legitimate excuse. I didn't need any formal documentation to corroborate my story, however. I think what helped me the most was that that semester was such an anomaly. My grades were much much stronger in all my other semesters and it was obvious just looking at my transcript that something went wrong. Without it, the highest GPA I would have reached before graduation would have been a 3.7. Thank God, I dropped a semester to end up with a 3.9+ I petitioned my school administrators in my junior year. I decided to be very honest and simply say that the only reason I did not petition the Dean's office sooner was simply because I was unaware of the possibility. I made it very clear that if I had known, I would have done so earlier. I still can't believe it worked out and I think I was more the exception rather than the rule.

There is no harm in trying to make it happen, but your excuse does not seem strong enough for serious consideration. Send in the application but don't hold your breath. If it doesn't happen, focus on graduating with a 3.4, and destroy the LSAT!! You still have the opportunity to end up at an excellent law school.

Good luck :)

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Seeking a Retroactive Withdrawal: Any advice?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:52 pm

You won't have a definitive answer until you try. Good luck.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lexaholik, OneMoreShot and 3 guests