Appropriate for addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imjustjoking22

Appropriate for addendum?

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:31 pm

I have a couple of things that need to be mentioned in my addendum, but I have one "borderline" thing- not sure if that is the right place to put it or if I should mention it at all.

I took 21 units during my last quarter of UG and was *strongly* advised to take one P/NP (a very difficult upper div, one of my minor classes). I ended up pulling straight As (including in the P/NP class) - I believe I was one of the few As in that class, and my teacher offered to write me a letter of rec (I was in another class of his as well that quarter). However, I already have 3 very strong LORs, so I don't really want to substitute his for one of those, since the other profs writing them know me very well outside of class too.

He also offered to just write something saying that I got an A in the class to include with my applications, but I'm really not sure how that would work (I'm guessing it wouldn't really be possible) so I figured maybe this is something I should include in my addendum? I know I could let it go as well, but I'm hoping I can include it somewhere since it looks a lot better than 4 As and a P.

Moomoo2u

Re: Appropriate for addendum?

Postby Moomoo2u » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:35 pm

not needed at all. Your academic strength is already shown by your high gpa and the straight A's you received that year.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:58 pm

No you don't need an addendum for taking one P/NP class that you passed.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:01 pm

I was just thinking it might be worth mentioning because I already will have an addendum and I have a weaker GPA (3.5) and while that was a concentrated part of my GPA, I still am not sure tthat my gpa makes it clear that I can handle a big courseload successfully.

I wouldn't have thought of it at all if it weren't for my teacher recommending it, which is why I'm asking.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Have that professor write a full length LOR, and save it for later if you need help getting off a waitlist. If you think this portion of your file is important enough that adcomms have to see it, substitute this prof's LOR in for a different one. But don't have him send in a short note along with the app.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Good suggestion! Can I do a 4th LOR through LSAC and select which to send to schools or no?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:58 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Good suggestion! Can I do a 4th LOR through LSAC and select which to send to schools or no?

Yeah, you can put as many LORs into LSAC as you want, and assign them as you go.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Have that professor write a full length LOR, and save it for later if you need help getting off a waitlist. If you think this portion of your file is important enough that adcomms have to see it, substitute this prof's LOR in for a different one. But don't have him send in a short note along with the app.

+1

That would be great to supplement a LOCI, should you be waitlisted.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:54 am

ahduth wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:Good suggestion! Can I do a 4th LOR through LSAC and select which to send to schools or no?

Yeah, you can put as many LORs into LSAC as you want, and assign them as you go.

Awesome, good to know! I will contact him and see if he'd be willing to write me a LOR, I've been meaning to meet with him anyway.

theadvancededit wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Have that professor write a full length LOR, and save it for later if you need help getting off a waitlist. If you think this portion of your file is important enough that adcomms have to see it, substitute this prof's LOR in for a different one. But don't have him send in a short note along with the app.

+1

That would be great to supplement a LOCI, should you be waitlisted.

Haha, I feel so much better knowing that this could possibly be a tiny boost, I beat myself up for a long time about taking that stupid PNP - I tried to change it at the very beginning but they don't allow that for some terrible reason.

Thanks for all the good advice in response to my completely neurotic hang-up on this one tiny thing...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”