Just got an MIP Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bmore_md

Bronze

Just got an MIP

Post by bmore_md » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:43 am

Apparently I can get it expunged if I pay some cash and take a few classes. Does this mean I'll be fine? Or is my life over? (exaggeration)

shoeshine

Silver

Re: Just got an MIP

Post by shoeshine » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:45 am

Expunged does not mean removed from your record in my state.

However it does not count as a conviction. Most law schools will ask for any arrests or charges as well though.

bmore_md

Bronze

Post by bmore_md » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 am

It's South Carolina. And the charge is written on a traffic ticket FWIW.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:52 am

RAGE

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:03 am

Minor in possession of alcohol (interpretation) and you're wondering if this will effect your cycle?
Trying to get it right before commenting..
or what the fuck is MIP
Last edited by tyro on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:04 am

Nobody will care.

bmore_md

Bronze

Post by bmore_md » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:11 am

Yeah minor in possession of alcohol.

redwings15

New

Post by redwings15 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:27 am

Is there at least a memorable story behind how you got it?

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:54 am

bmore_md wrote:Yeah minor in possession of alcohol.
Okay. No one is going to care (you are/were 18-20 years old). I had two underages and an "MIP" and a disorderly conduct when I was an immature lil boychild. Demonstrate that you're grown up and can properly obey the righteous moral code that governs your country. The people in charge realize that people who are in their teens make stupid mistakes. Learn from them and recognize that you were wrong.

edit: also, IS THERE a funny story?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ralph_pootawn

Bronze

Post by ralph_pootawn » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 am

is an addendum necessary or do the applications allow you to address this in it?

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:26 am

No school will care. Disclose and you'll be fine.

bmore_md

Bronze

Post by bmore_md » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Not a great story. I was walking up to downtown holding a beer. Set it down behind a corner and as soon as I rounded a corner a cop was walking up (terrible luck). He obviously walked around the corner, saw the beer on the ground, and then proceeded to follow me a few blocks. He didn't even seem to care about the MIP, he just said I have to write you a ticket. He did, however, ask me to turn over a fake multiple times.

So the consensus is do the community service or whatever to get it expunged. Then write and addendum when applying stating that I was charged with an MIP which was expunged and I've learned from the mistake. And, this will not really hurt me.

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:14 pm

bmore_md wrote:
So the consensus is do the community service or whatever to get it expunged. Then write and addendum when applying stating that I was charged with an MIP which was expunged and I've learned from the mistake. And, this will not really hurt me.
Yes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:04 am

Make sure your addendum begins with the line "So my bros and I were ranging, right, and get this:..."

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:04 am

SBL wrote:Make sure your addendum begins with the line "So my bros and I were ranging, right, and get this:..."
Clearly a diss towards Southern states.

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:10 am

bmore_md wrote:Not a great story. I was walking up to downtown holding a beer. Set it down behind a corner and as soon as I rounded a corner a cop was walking up (terrible luck). He obviously walked around the corner, saw the beer on the ground, and then proceeded to follow me a few blocks. He didn't even seem to care about the MIP, he just said I have to write you a ticket. He did, however, ask me to turn over a fake multiple times.

The officer passed you, and soon found a cold beer sitting on a corner, yet did not witness you (or your group) leaving the beer on the corner. He followed you for a few blocks. You must have been doing something suspicious while he was following you otherwise I don't see him stopping you in this case.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'm one of those dum dums who try to argue with cops when I feel that I've been mistreated. It's never a good iea to play "road side" lawyer so yeah just don't worry about it. At least you didn't try to run and then got arrested or something :lol:

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:32 am

Just write a nice clean, 5 sentence, "I'm sorry, I learned my lesson," essay and submit it as an addendum. I actually spoke with an admissions dean about this not too long ago, and her words were, exact quote, "I could give a fuck."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bmore_md

Bronze

Post by bmore_md » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

How crucial is it to get this expunged from my records? The orientation of the program I must take falls during three classes. I have a test scheduled in one of these classes which I may or may not be able to take at an earlier date. Should I just go into court and pay my fine or whatever?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:58 pm

bmore_md wrote:How crucial is it to get this expunged from my records? The orientation of the program I must take falls during three classes. I have a test scheduled in one of these classes which I may or may not be able to take at an earlier date. Should I just go into court and pay my fine or whatever?
I hope you are kidding. Go get it expunged! It will follow you forever if it shows up as a conviction.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”