Been in for 2 weeks, ready to drop out already.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tesoro

Re: Been in for 2 weeks, ready to drop out already.

Postby tesoro » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:25 am

I'd say stay, but simultaneously apply and interview for jobs. If you land a desirable position, you'll have an exit option lined up at the end of the semester if you decide in the end that this wasn't for you, and would have not spent very much money at all. If you don't land a desirable position, you'll at least know that you didn't forego a better option to go to LS.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 am

LS99 wrote:I have no interest in learning the law or ever practicing as a lawyer and I am not too big a fan of the school I chose to attend due to its market.

I have no interest in learning the law or ever practicing as a lawyer and I am not too big a fan of the school I chose to attend due to its market.

I have no interest in learning the law or ever practicing as a lawyer

Anybody saying anything other than gtfo is insane.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:39 am

bjsesq wrote:
LS99 wrote:

Yeah but opinions and beliefs can change quickly when we're this young. I say suck it up for now because, if you come from a line of lucrative practice, saving a lil money by dropping out now instead of waiting a lil longer doesn't really mean shit.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:45 am

tyro wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
LS99 wrote:

Yeah but opinions and beliefs can change quickly when we're this young. I say suck it up for now because, if you come from a line of lucrative practice, saving a lil money by dropping out now instead of waiting a lil longer doesn't really mean shit.

Hey, guess what pal? Law school cannot possibly give you any idea whatsoever about what the practice of law is like. If you aren't interested in practicing, you sure as shit aren't going to learn that in law school. How the fuck will one semester make this any different?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:02 am

If you really have absolutely no interest in or intention of practicing law, you might want to get out of dodge right now. If you have any reservations, stick it out at least for the first term. If you still feel the same way in December, drop out. No sense in wasting time or money. It sounds like a good job or MBA program may be the right move for you right now. Tell your family that you "prefer to work or attend B-School first" and want to grow a little more before going to law school.

That may ease the tension. The adcoms will look favorably on your mature and wise decision to put the brakes on before you go through three years for nothing - which, to their detriment, too many students have recently done. Who knows? The direction your MBA and career take you may ultimately light a fire in you to learn the law after all. You have time...use it wisely.

Another option might be deferral. Look into that. Some schools allow students to defer for up to two years. Just make sure that you don't have to return your scholarship money.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:32 am

masochist wrote:This problem might be a little beyond the internetz curative powers.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:31 am

bjsesq wrote:
tyro wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Hey, guess what pal? Law school cannot possibly give you any idea whatsoever about what the practice of law is like. If you aren't interested in practicing, you sure as shit aren't going to learn that in law school. How the fuck will one semester make this any different?

I admit that my last post wasn't very developed.
But BJ, there's no need to get emotional here dude, even if you disagree with me. Anyway, I realize that spending more time in law school probably won't help the OP make a conclusive decision about his predicted happiness with this choice of career, but I am still going with my original recommendation that sticking it out a little bit longer has potential benefits that outweigh the alternative of giving up now. If an intelligent person decides to make a time-consuming commitment to something , I think it makes sense to give it a fair chance before drawing conclusions, especially assuming that the person in question is likely at a point in life where rapid change in belief/opinion is normal. If we are taking the OP's words as an ultimatum, then obviously your analysis is credited.

But in this case, why would he even post a thread?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:25 am

bjsesq wrote:
LS99 wrote:

Yes, but LOADS of people who are feeling out-of-place or pretty crappy in a new environment will say this to justify leaving. I said the same thing about my chosen career - I remember calling my degree "useless, futile, etc" because I didn't want to just accept I would be taking the easy way out. Humans are experts at these types of things. You can hear it when she suddenly hates the school she chose, and is hating the extra 5k she is paying when money is actually not a factor. The truth is, reading between the lines, she is in that ugly rock-bottom spot where you decide you hate everything and anyone associated with your miserable position. A week ago, she most likely did plan to practice law (hence going to law school, I mean she has a family of lawyers, its not like she went thinking she was trying out for Law and Order), like her law school, etc.

Parents tend to have amazing insight into their children. I recognize this now as a parent myself ;) They don't always give good advice, but they generally do give advice as they see in the best interests of their children. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves. We also internalize a lot of their cognitive habits. Most likely if they are telling her quitting now would make her feel like a quitter, they are right. In a year, she'd be working her new job, realizing she also hates finance and regretting that she didn't give law a chance. We're talking about a few months of her life to not have a lifelong regret. But she has to fully commit. Its seriously between now and Christmas, its nothing.

If I were her, I would finish this term and work as hard as I could. Try to fully commit and quit looking for excuses to fail. Then take a leave of absence next semester and get a job in finance for spring-summer. Then decide if you aren't ready to go back to law school come fall.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:24 am

tyro wrote:But in this case, why would he even post a thread?

The same 2 reasons every poster who's ever posted a similar thread on TLS has done it:

1) Seeking people to justify a decision he's already made; and
2) Attention.

The end.

badfish

Postby badfish » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:28 am

LS99 wrote:
LS99 wrote:Long story short - Been in LS for 2 weeks at a T25 school. I am paying around 13K a year in tuition + CoL to be here due to a nice merit award package. The thing is, I hate it. The classes are boring and I do not want to study at all. I have no interest in learning the law or ever practicing as a lawyer and I am not too big a fan of the school I chose to attend due to its market. I probably should have rethought matriculating at my school due to the fact that I ended up choosing the school via settling because I did not like any of my other options. I am 23, about to be 24 and come from a family of pretty successful lawyers who all kind of pushed me in this direction. My UG degrees are in Finance and Management and I probably should have gone that route. Needless to say I am confused and lost as to what to do. Talked to my parents and was told that I would be shunned/an idiot to leave a week in.

I will take any advice I can get from this forum as I am pretty much lost at this point.

Thing is, if I leave now then I only lose a k or 2 of my tuition that I paid for the semester.

Then I'd drop out, honestly.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:03 pm

tesoro wrote:I'd say stay, but simultaneously apply and interview for jobs.

I think the problem with this is that, if OP spends a good deal of time applying and interviewing, that's a good deal of time that's not going to be spent on LS work, making it more likely that grades won't be great and LS will seem crappier. It'd be better just to leave now than do this, although put my vote in the "stick it out for a semester" box.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:04 pm

bjsesq wrote:
tyro wrote:But in this case, why would he even post a thread?

The same 2 reasons every poster who's ever posted a similar thread on TLS has done it:

1) Seeking people to justify a decision he's already made; and
2) Attention.

The end.

I think those two points serve as the basis for 99% of my interactions IRL

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:30 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Parents tend to have amazing insight into their children. I recognize this now as a parent myself ;) They don't always give good advice, but they generally do give advice as they see in the best interests of their children. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves.

Or maybe they have no idea what their 23 year old child- who is now an ADULT- really wants or needs. You cannot extrapolate your relationship with your children and apply it to this ADULT'S relationship. Even though OP is obviously young and somewhat childish, OP needs to be treated like a responsible person capable of making their own decisions... totally absent what their parents say. In fact, it might be healthier for OP to quit if only to get that obviously overbearing influence out of their life.

You know, MofC, for someone as smart as you are, you can be really naive sometimes.

ETA: OP- if you really, truly hate it then I would say quit. This isn't for everyone. I couldn't ever work in finance- it would bore me to tears. Different strokes for different folks. BUT... be very sure before you quit. Quitting would have a huge effect on your life, especially if you were wrong about wanting to do so. Think about it for a couple of weeks, talk it over with IRL friends, not just randos on the internet. You need people you trust, true and good friends, to advise you on this.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 pm

spleenworship wrote:

You know, MofC, for someone as smart as you are, you can be really naive sometimes.

Had to lol at this. I've been called alot of things in my life, never naive. I guess I should probably pick up a dictionary, because I'm afraid I don't know what the term means given the context in which you are using it.

This post is spoken as someone that has some growing to do themselves. As you get older, you outgrow the need to prove your parents wrong and realize that real maturity comes from being able to take into account the opinions of all those who love and care for you. Its not naivete, its called wisdom, to be able to step back and realize that those around you might have something valuable to add even if its not what you want to hear at that exact moment. Only children feel the need to constantly do the opposite of their parents in an effort to prove that they have a mind of their own. I'm not advising her to blindly follow her parent's advice (especially if that is what got her into this mess), I am advising her to think seriously about whether she really will feel like a quitter, as they've suggested. Just because it come from a parent, doesn't make it poor advise. I hardly think you know OP better than her parents. None of us do: That would be naive.

My 2 year old would totally agree with you though. She has the same opinion about parental advise lol. She also could care less for my slightly tongue-in-cheek humor, I like to think it goes over her head (a winking smiley face in the instance you quoted is perhaps a little too subtle for most).

Anyhow, I'm not getting in an argument with someone I don't even know online. You have your opinion, I have mine. I am sure OP can maturely sit down and reflect on the advice, evaluate whether she is making an emotional or rational decision, and move on.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:50 pm

MumofCad wrote:
This post is spoken as someone that has some growing to do themselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I edited out the rest because I am also not interested in getting into an argument on the internet with MofC, whom I liked a lot better when she was concerned she wasn't good enough to get into L&C.
Last edited by spleenworship on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:53 pm

chimp wrote:
LS99 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Indiana can't be that bad, can it?

Actaully, I regret not attending IU.

Notre Dame?

First day of classes was Monday; he said he's been in classes for two weeks.

Postby 071816 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:25 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
chimp wrote:
LS99 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Indiana can't be that bad, can it?

Actaully, I regret not attending IU.

Notre Dame?

First day of classes was Monday; he said he's been in classes for two weeks.

I don't go to Notre Dame. Why would I know/give a shit about their schedule?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:31 pm

chimp wrote:

Goddamn man calm down all I was telling you was that he doesn't attend ND or IU; so it's one of the others.

Postby 071816 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:33 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
chimp wrote:

Goddamn man calm down all I was telling you was that he doesn't attend ND or IU; so it's one of the others.

My bad bro.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 am

LS99 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
beach_terror wrote:If you hate law school already, then drop out because it'll only get worse. Life's too short bro.

On a serious note, this. Law school will always be around if you change your mind, and just as easy to get into.

I just cannot believe I spent $$ on a T25 when I could have gone to a T40 for 5K a year cheaper. That was my dumbest move.

No, your dumbest move was going to law school. You have no motivation to study, no motivation to be a lawyer, and you likely would have better career opportunities with your other degrees. This isn't a situation where you just went to the wrong school. This sounds like a very clear case where you shouldn't have gone to law school at all.

bjsesq is right... anybody who says anything other than drop out is really :?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:06 am

MumofCad wrote:Parents tend to have amazing insight into their children. I recognize this now as a parent myself ;) They don't always give good advice, but they generally do give advice as they see in the best interests of their children.

I don't want to speculate too much about OP's family, but based on what he's said so far, this doesn't seem right at all. Many parents are terrible about pressuring their kids into things they don't want to do, and shouldn't do.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:09 am

The OP's story contains one cliche that I find pretty interesting. The disobedient son of a long line of doctors, famous chemists/professors, lawyers, upper management, or whatever. You name it. So he is pissed and his parents are kind of forcing him into something because they think their son should do what they did and because they were successful at it and it makes sense to them because it's a "family thing". It's just what they do.

As the Hollywood version goes, the disobedient son packs a single bag, puts on his aviators, and says eff this shit, Mom and Dad, I'm out of here. He hops in his father's old drop-top BMW and heads out. He cranks up the radio and lights a cigaweed while heading up the coastline, his new girlfriend (who happens to be a photographer) at his side. They decide to get an apartment together and he lets his hair grow out a little bit longer and starts working on short fiction pieces and helping his girlfriend get a gig for a photo shoot in a local magazine. A few months later, he decides it might be best to start tossing out his resume to a few companies where he could put that degree in finance to use.

What will happen next?

starlight007

Postby starlight007 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:09 am

This is my 2nd week too and people have already started dropping out after realizing it is not for them. While i haven't been bogged down and close to slitting my wrists, I do actually enjoy school so far and could understand you want to leave already....not to mention that you can get a portion of your money back. This is a highly personal decision, I do suggest you talk it over with some family members before you act in haste. If you still feel that dropping out is in your best interests then do so. Good luck.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:23 am

chimp wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
chimp wrote:

My bad bro.

Poopoopeepeecaca

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:24 am

starlight007 wrote:This is my 2nd week too and people have already started dropping out after realizing it is not for them. While i haven't been bogged down and close to slitting my wrists, I do actually enjoy school so far and could understand you want to leave already....not to mention that you can get a portion of your money back. This is a highly personal decision, I do suggest you talk it over with some family members before you act in haste. If you still feel that dropping out is in your best interests then do so. Good luck.

i'm concerned at slitting your wrists being used as a joke.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”