Been in for 2 weeks, ready to drop out already.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LS99

Been in for 2 weeks, ready to drop out already.

Postby LS99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:14 pm

Long story short - Been in LS for 2 weeks at a T25 school. I am paying around 13K a year in tuition + CoL to be here due to a nice merit award package. The thing is, I hate it. The classes are boring and I do not want to study at all. I have no interest in learning the law or ever practicing as a lawyer and I am not too big a fan of the school I chose to attend due to its market. I probably should have rethought matriculating at my school due to the fact that I ended up choosing the school via settling because I did not like any of my other options. I am 23, about to be 24 and come from a family of pretty successful lawyers who all kind of pushed me in this direction. My UG degrees are in Finance and Management and I probably should have gone that route. Needless to say I am confused and lost as to what to do. Talked to my parents and was told that I would be shunned/an idiot to leave a week in.

I will take any advice I can get from this forum as I am pretty much lost at this point.

kaiser

Re: Been in for 2 weeks, ready to drop out already.

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Personally, I would give it one semester since you already sunk the cash, are settled in, etc. That isn't to say you would be an idiot to leave. You would be an idiot to continue doing something you hate after you establish that you hate it. I agree that a week or 2 is too short a sample size to really "know" if its for you. Just give it your best shot, and if you feel no passion for it after one semester, then you call it quits. There is absolutely no harm in trying something and saying it isn't for you.

Postby 071816 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Well, sounds like you a) went to law school for all the wrong reasons and b) didn't really do your research. Even so, I wouldn't drop out this early. You already paid tuition. Give it a chance and see if you start to like it more. Then, I would evaluate the situation again after a semester (maybe even a year) and go from there.

LS99

Postby LS99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

LS99 wrote:Long story short - Been in LS for 2 weeks at a T25 school. I am paying around 13K a year in tuition + CoL to be here due to a nice merit award package. The thing is, I hate it. The classes are boring and I do not want to study at all. I have no interest in learning the law or ever practicing as a lawyer and I am not too big a fan of the school I chose to attend due to its market. I probably should have rethought matriculating at my school due to the fact that I ended up choosing the school via settling because I did not like any of my other options. I am 23, about to be 24 and come from a family of pretty successful lawyers who all kind of pushed me in this direction. My UG degrees are in Finance and Management and I probably should have gone that route. Needless to say I am confused and lost as to what to do. Talked to my parents and was told that I would be shunned/an idiot to leave a week in.

I will take any advice I can get from this forum as I am pretty much lost at this point.

Thing is, if I leave now then I only lose a k or 2 of my tuition that I paid for the semester.

somethingdemure

Postby somethingdemure » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Hating law school can lead to bad grades, bad grades means no decent available work. I'd drop out, but I was fortunate enough to really love law school, so I certainly can't speak from personal experience. Life's just too short.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Indiana can't be that bad, can it?

LS99

Postby LS99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 pm

somethingdemure wrote:Hating law school can lead to bad grades, bad grades means no decent available work. I'd drop out, but I was fortunate enough to really love law school, so I certainly can't speak from personal experience. Life's just too short.

That's just it, I already have a legal job waiting for me. That is why everyone thinks I would be a fool to quit. I just see myself starting down a path that I think I was never meant to lead, if that makes any sense.

Not IU.

LS99

Postby LS99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Indiana can't be that bad, can it?

Actaully, I regret not attending IU.

Postby 071816 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:24 pm

LS99 wrote:

Notre Dame?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:26 pm

If you hate law school already, then drop out because it'll only get worse. Life's too short bro.

LS99

Postby LS99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 pm

chimp wrote:
LS99 wrote:

Notre Dame?

I would rather not out myself completely.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:31 pm

beach_terror wrote:If you hate law school already, then drop out because it'll only get worse. Life's too short bro.

On a serious note, this. Law school will always be around if you change your mind, and just as easy to get into.

LS99

Postby LS99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:33 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
beach_terror wrote:If you hate law school already, then drop out because it'll only get worse. Life's too short bro.

On a serious note, this. Law school will always be around if you change your mind, and just as easy to get into.

I just cannot believe I spent $$ on a T25 when I could have gone to a T40 for 5K a year cheaper. That was my dumbest move.

Postby 071816 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:34 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

+1. I feel like you went to law school mainly because of family pressure, not because you actually wanted to. If you can recover most of your 1st semester tuition at this point, I would say just do that and try to pursue some kind of finance-related position.

Postby 071816 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:34 pm

LS99 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

I just cannot believe I spent $$ on a T25 when I could have gone to a T40 for 5K a year cheaper. That was my dumbest move.

So now money is the issue? I'm pretty confused.

LS99

Postby LS99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Its not. I just do not see why I decided to pay more for a school when I was wavering this much coming in.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:38 pm

If you absolutely despise the career path, you may want to drop it over winter break.

Up to you in the long run though.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:46 pm

I would stick it out for the semester. Regardless if it's the truth, your parents are going to think leaving 2 weeks into the first semester is because you're scared/a quitter/lazy. Really, when you get right down to it, you're talking about a marginal cost of what? $7k-$9k for sticking it out this semester?

$6500 $4500-$5500 for difference in tuition + whatever small COL costs you will incur. I'm assuming that you will not be able to find a subleaser and are stuck with your apartment so that's a cost you won't be able to recoup.

I think making sure you're not just getting cold feet and not getting shunned by your family (who I imagine is supporting you) is worth the extra several thousand.

The decision above changes, though, if you already have a steady job in finance lined up with a solid career growth potential.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Law school will be rewarding to you in the sense that it will force you to no longer be a child.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 pm

2 weeks is nothing. Give it a semester and see what kind of grades you get. Never act in haste.

If you come from a family of successful attys, the lost tuition for one semester won't break 'em.

Finance will still be there next year.

Good luck.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Law school will be rewarding to you in the sense that it will force you to no longer be a child.

How do you figure?

masochist

Postby masochist » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:34 pm

This problem might be a little beyond the internetz curative powers. Maybe you really hate law school and would despise being a lawyer. Maybe you are confusing the feeling of being overwhelmed with hatred for law school. Maybe you hate your law school and another one would work better for you. Who knows? It would be really hard to say for anyone after two weeks. I'd make an appointment to talk to someone in your student counseling center to see if exploring the problem leads to a clear solution. They help people with these kind of doubts every day. Don't make a hasty decision that will give you even more reason for regret later.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Quit now and get your money back.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:37 pm

If you don't/never did want to be a lawyer, drop out instead of wasting time and energy. Your parents sound like they're being childish. Nobody who's worth a damn will look down on you for verifying that this isn't what you want out of life.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:38 pm

I vote drop out now. Is it too late to get a refund?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”