GPA Addendum Divorce Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
saintps123

New

GPA Addendum Divorce

Post by saintps123 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm

My GPA fell between my 08-09 and 09-10 because I was spending a lot of time wrapped up in my parent’s divorce. It went from 3.50 to a 3.15. Is this worthy of an addendum?

On top if this I was very involved in philanthropy, so it was extremely hard to juggle the three things at once.

What do you think, should I write an addendum for this?

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Post by Moomoo2u » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm

is your final GPA still a 3.5? if so, then no. If your final GPA is a 3.15 and you have previously had 3.5 and above every semester except those lsited and it somehow lowered your overall GPA massively, then yes.

saintps123

New

Post by saintps123 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:25 pm

This is the course of my GPA:

Frist year: 3.31
Second Year:3.50
Third Year: 3.15
Fourth Year:3.17

The divorce occurred between my second year and third year. My GPA on LSAC is a 3.28, not my best potential.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:42 pm

It's not even that much lower than all your other years. Don't write one.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm in the don't write one camp. You didn't improve after junior year, so what happened between junior and senior year? On paper, your 3.5 definitely looks like the outlier, not the true indicator.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PJG70

New

Post by PJG70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm sure I understand why it would be harming my chances if I'm explaining a discrepancy in my application. I have a friend with a very similar situation and he didn't get into his top choice. When he call the school's admissions and they said that he wasn't accepted because of the inconsistency in his GPA, which was also attributed to a divorce between his 2nd and 3rd yr. He was also involved in 3 extracurricular orgs.

If there was a hardship in one's life that caused a GPA discrepancy, why would be bad to explain it?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Dany wrote:It's not even that much lower than all your other years. Don't write one.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 pm

PJG70 wrote:I'm sure I understand why it would be harming my chances if I'm explaining a discrepancy in my application. I have a friend with a very similar situation and he didn't get into his top choice. When he call the school's admissions and they said that he wasn't accepted because of the inconsistency in his GPA, which was also attributed to a divorce between his 2nd and 3rd yr. He was also involved in 3 extracurricular orgs.

If there was a hardship in one's life that caused a GPA discrepancy, why would be bad to explain it?
Because it's not a discrepancy.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:I'm sure I understand why it would be harming my chances if I'm explaining a discrepancy in my application. I have a friend with a very similar situation and he didn't get into his top choice. When he call the school's admissions and they said that he wasn't accepted because of the inconsistency in his GPA, which was also attributed to a divorce between his 2nd and 3rd yr. He was also involved in 3 extracurricular orgs.

Because it's not a discrepancy.
+1

If your friend had seven semesters of 3.8 and one semester of 3.2 when the divorce happened, an addendum would likely be appropriate. However, in the case of the OP, the addendum sounds like it's trying to argue that adcomms should consider a GPA range that he/she achieved for only one year instead of the actual GPA that is clearly more representative of the OP's ability.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PJG70

New

Post by PJG70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:30 pm

A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 pm

PJG70 wrote:A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.
Look at all the years.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:34 pm

If you do write one I would make up a better excuse than your parents getting divorced. I mean, you were in college already. Tell them your grandma died or something.

PJG70

New

Post by PJG70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.
Look at all the years.
When considering all years, 3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1 therefore it makes since that a hardship could change the trajectory of the final two years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:44 pm

PJG70 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Look at all the years.
When considering all years, 3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1 therefore it makes since that a hardship could change the trajectory of the final two years.
Math fail. And again, the 3.5 was only achieved once. What about the OP's grades in the first and fourth years? If anything, drawing attention to the 3.5 will just make it look like a fluke.

ETA: and spelling fail for that matter. then=than & since=sense

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

PJG70 wrote:3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:17 pm

Write an addendum about what caused your grades to be so much better your second year and why you think that that is a better representation of how you will perform in Law School.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:40 pm

PJG70 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Look at all the years.
His first year grade is closer to his third and fourth year grades than his second year grade. Overall, I see at most a .2 drop in the Op's grade (the 3.5 just looks like an outlier). An addendum here is questionable because there is no clear drop in the Op's grade. A drop from 3.5 to 3.0 would be significant, but the Op's grade was not consistantly at a 3.5 before the divorce.

An addendum might help. On the other hand it might hurt. This is not a clear drop, and thus, the addendum is unlikely to have a significant beneficial impact.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Opie wrote:Write an addendum about what caused your grades to be so much better your second year and why you think that that is a better representation of how you will perform in Law School.
No.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 am

Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1
--ImageRemoved--

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:22 am

I also think that divorce is so common in our country that it might not be sufficient to warrant a full semester's worth of mediocre work unless you combine it with depression or something else.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:10 am

It doesn't explain why you had 2 years of bad grades. An addendum won't help you. It may make you appear to not take responsability for your grades, so it could make things worse.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 am

I think an addendum will make you look worse. You don't have anything to show that a 3.5 is representative of your work in that transcript. If I was the adcom considering admitting you on your GPA, I would look at this and go - "Wow, he can't take responsibility either. Full of excuses. Ding"

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:18 pm

I agree with Rory Gilmore. Your reasoning doesn't explain your senior year. If your senior year had closer to a 3.5, an addendum might be ok. But your Senior year is equally as low. If you believe the divorce before Junior year hurt your senior year grades, I doubt they'll buy it.

saintps123

New

Post by saintps123 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 pm

See, my junior grades ranged from C+'s to B's in all courses.

My senior year, I took 8 classes. 6 of the 8 were B+'s- A+'s which were all directly related to my major. The 2 other courses, being spanish each semester, I got a C- and D+. My senior I was also working part time to help with my budget and reduce my student loans. On top of that, I was heavily involved in a philanthropy position.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 pm

No, your grades are bad and do not require an addendum. It is what it is. You had a 3.3 your first semester. Your last semster, you raised your gpa from a 3.15 to 3.17. That IS HARDLY IMPRESSIVE. In addition, you had a a C- and D+ in SPANISH. People usually show an upward trend their juniors and senior years. You did the opposite. You do not have sound reasoning and should not write an addendum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”