GPA Addendum Divorce

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
saintps123
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm

GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby saintps123 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm

My GPA fell between my 08-09 and 09-10 because I was spending a lot of time wrapped up in my parent’s divorce. It went from 3.50 to a 3.15. Is this worthy of an addendum?

On top if this I was very involved in philanthropy, so it was extremely hard to juggle the three things at once.

What do you think, should I write an addendum for this?

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm

is your final GPA still a 3.5? if so, then no. If your final GPA is a 3.15 and you have previously had 3.5 and above every semester except those lsited and it somehow lowered your overall GPA massively, then yes.

saintps123
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby saintps123 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:25 pm

This is the course of my GPA:

Frist year: 3.31
Second Year:3.50
Third Year: 3.15
Fourth Year:3.17

The divorce occurred between my second year and third year. My GPA on LSAC is a 3.28, not my best potential.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:42 pm

It's not even that much lower than all your other years. Don't write one.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm in the don't write one camp. You didn't improve after junior year, so what happened between junior and senior year? On paper, your 3.5 definitely looks like the outlier, not the true indicator.

PJG70
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby PJG70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm sure I understand why it would be harming my chances if I'm explaining a discrepancy in my application. I have a friend with a very similar situation and he didn't get into his top choice. When he call the school's admissions and they said that he wasn't accepted because of the inconsistency in his GPA, which was also attributed to a divorce between his 2nd and 3rd yr. He was also involved in 3 extracurricular orgs.

If there was a hardship in one's life that caused a GPA discrepancy, why would be bad to explain it?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Dany wrote:It's not even that much lower than all your other years. Don't write one.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 pm

PJG70 wrote:I'm sure I understand why it would be harming my chances if I'm explaining a discrepancy in my application. I have a friend with a very similar situation and he didn't get into his top choice. When he call the school's admissions and they said that he wasn't accepted because of the inconsistency in his GPA, which was also attributed to a divorce between his 2nd and 3rd yr. He was also involved in 3 extracurricular orgs.

If there was a hardship in one's life that caused a GPA discrepancy, why would be bad to explain it?

Because it's not a discrepancy.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:I'm sure I understand why it would be harming my chances if I'm explaining a discrepancy in my application. I have a friend with a very similar situation and he didn't get into his top choice. When he call the school's admissions and they said that he wasn't accepted because of the inconsistency in his GPA, which was also attributed to a divorce between his 2nd and 3rd yr. He was also involved in 3 extracurricular orgs.

If there was a hardship in one's life that caused a GPA discrepancy, why would be bad to explain it?

Because it's not a discrepancy.

+1

If your friend had seven semesters of 3.8 and one semester of 3.2 when the divorce happened, an addendum would likely be appropriate. However, in the case of the OP, the addendum sounds like it's trying to argue that adcomms should consider a GPA range that he/she achieved for only one year instead of the actual GPA that is clearly more representative of the OP's ability.

PJG70
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby PJG70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:30 pm

A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 pm

PJG70 wrote:A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.

Look at all the years.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:34 pm

If you do write one I would make up a better excuse than your parents getting divorced. I mean, you were in college already. Tell them your grandma died or something.

PJG70
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby PJG70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.

Look at all the years.


When considering all years, 3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1 therefore it makes since that a hardship could change the trajectory of the final two years.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:44 pm

PJG70 wrote:
Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.

Look at all the years.


When considering all years, 3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1 therefore it makes since that a hardship could change the trajectory of the final two years.

Math fail. And again, the 3.5 was only achieved once. What about the OP's grades in the first and fourth years? If anything, drawing attention to the 3.5 will just make it look like a fluke.

ETA: and spelling fail for that matter. then=than & since=sense

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

PJG70 wrote:3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1

Image

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:17 pm

Write an addendum about what caused your grades to be so much better your second year and why you think that that is a better representation of how you will perform in Law School.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby random5483 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:40 pm

PJG70 wrote:
Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:A 3.50 down to a 3.15 is something that will causion admissions. Also, it's the difference magna cum laude and no honors. If a divorce takes enough up time and energy from someone and their grades suffer, I still don't see how this isn't a discrepancy.

Look at all the years.


When considering all years, 3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1 therefore it makes since that a hardship could change the trajectory of the final two years.


His first year grade is closer to his third and fourth year grades than his second year grade. Overall, I see at most a .2 drop in the Op's grade (the 3.5 just looks like an outlier). An addendum here is questionable because there is no clear drop in the Op's grade. A drop from 3.5 to 3.0 would be significant, but the Op's grade was not consistantly at a 3.5 before the divorce.

An addendum might help. On the other hand it might hurt. This is not a clear drop, and thus, the addendum is unlikely to have a significant beneficial impact.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Opie wrote:Write an addendum about what caused your grades to be so much better your second year and why you think that that is a better representation of how you will perform in Law School.

No.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby Sentry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 am

Dany wrote:
PJG70 wrote:3.3 is closer to a 3.5 then a 3.1

Image

--ImageRemoved--

AffordablePrep
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby AffordablePrep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:22 am

I also think that divorce is so common in our country that it might not be sufficient to warrant a full semester's worth of mediocre work unless you combine it with depression or something else.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:10 am

It doesn't explain why you had 2 years of bad grades. An addendum won't help you. It may make you appear to not take responsability for your grades, so it could make things worse.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby MumofCad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 am

I think an addendum will make you look worse. You don't have anything to show that a 3.5 is representative of your work in that transcript. If I was the adcom considering admitting you on your GPA, I would look at this and go - "Wow, he can't take responsibility either. Full of excuses. Ding"

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:18 pm

I agree with Rory Gilmore. Your reasoning doesn't explain your senior year. If your senior year had closer to a 3.5, an addendum might be ok. But your Senior year is equally as low. If you believe the divorce before Junior year hurt your senior year grades, I doubt they'll buy it.

saintps123
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby saintps123 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 pm

See, my junior grades ranged from C+'s to B's in all courses.

My senior year, I took 8 classes. 6 of the 8 were B+'s- A+'s which were all directly related to my major. The 2 other courses, being spanish each semester, I got a C- and D+. My senior I was also working part time to help with my budget and reduce my student loans. On top of that, I was heavily involved in a philanthropy position.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: GPA Addendum Divorce

Postby sparty99 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 pm

No, your grades are bad and do not require an addendum. It is what it is. You had a 3.3 your first semester. Your last semster, you raised your gpa from a 3.15 to 3.17. That IS HARDLY IMPRESSIVE. In addition, you had a a C- and D+ in SPANISH. People usually show an upward trend their juniors and senior years. You did the opposite. You do not have sound reasoning and should not write an addendum.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Blue664, mattclew23 and 5 guests