Targeting PS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pineappledazzler

Targeting PS

Postby pineappledazzler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Some people have talked about "targeting" their PS to different schools. Is this really necessary, or something that will set you apart as an applicant, or just completely dependent on each school?

pwyoung

Re: Targeting PS

Postby pwyoung » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:29 am

I'd say it really depends on the school, but it's not going to help you to the point that it's worth completely stressing over.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:25 pm

I actually think it depends more on your personal statement than the school itself. If it flows with your PS and you can write interesting things about the school's qualities, it's a fine but not necessary thing to do. Do NOT have a blank that you fill with each school's name, and remember that a personal statement is personal. Don't use half of it for talking about the school when you could be talking about yourself.

FWIW, I targeted all my personal statements in the last paragraph with how programs/courses at the school fit well with my background and talked about what I'd bring to their school. Usually wasn't more than a sentence or two. I don't think it really helped or hurt me.

Postby 071816 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Doesn't make a difference. You should, however, be specific about each school in your "Why X" essays.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:06 am

Dany wrote:FWIW, I targeted all my personal statements in the last paragraph with how programs/courses at the school fit well with my background and talked about what I'd bring to their school. Usually wasn't more than a sentence or two. I don't think it really helped or hurt me.

:lol:

Sorry, had to comment. (The lol is unrelated to her advice, which is good.)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:20 am

I only tailored my PS for Berkeley, in which I stated, "Dean Tom, your holistic mojo jibes with my enlightened faith in the pedagogical process. Admit me, we'll make sweet legal education together."

Or something to that effect. I did specifically address him by name anyhow.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Dany wrote:I
FWIW, I targeted all my personal statements in the last paragraph with how programs/courses at the school fit well with my background and talked about what I'd bring to their school. Usually wasn't more than a sentence or two. I don't think it really helped or hurt me.

Yea, I've seen a lot of people do this. I can't say that I've ever seen it affect their chances positively, but it certainly hasn't hurt them, and you never know. Just make sure that the course/program is still running.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Theres a personal statement forum for personal statement questions.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:43 pm

mrtoren wrote:Theres a personal statement forum for personal statement questions.

I'll give you a personal statement. :evil:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”