How will my GPA be viewed by prospective schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PBateman1

How will my GPA be viewed by prospective schools?

Postby PBateman1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 pm

When I initially came to college I didn't really take it seriously and ended up with a 2.8ish GPA for my freshman and sophomore years. After spending 5 years in the military, I came back to school and earned a 3.9+ GPA last year and I believe that at l should be able to keep up at least a 3.8 my senior year. Will the schools I apply to just average out all my grades or will it be recognized that I am a much more serious student than the one who got a 2.8 the first time around?

SilverE2

Re: How will my GPA be viewed by prospective schools?

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 pm

LSAC will average your GPA but your upward trend will be noted.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:52 pm

To add to this - a GPA change that drastic (and positive!) would definitely be worth addressing in an addendum, or in your personal statement if you write about your military service.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 pm

No13baby wrote:To add to this - a GPA change that drastic (and positive!) would definitely be worth addressing in an addendum,

Not if all you can say is "I was stupid when I was younger."

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 pm

I think writing an addendum with the message that your military service instilled greater discipline and a greater sense of direction and purpose in your life would be very effective. You certainly won't be looked at like an applicant with a 3.8 or 3.9, but you won't be looked at like a student with a 3.1 either.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:50 pm

kalvano wrote:
No13baby wrote:To add to this - a GPA change that drastic (and positive!) would definitely be worth addressing in an addendum,

But it wouldn't just say that - it would show tangible growth stemming from an experience that is expected to change you (military service).

To OP: The military service and upward trend will be definite pluses; the low average GPA will be an unfortunately stronger negative. However, I would definitely write the PS/addendum about your experience in the military and how it affected you. I've seen many people with your background outperform their numbers.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:48 pm

bp shinners wrote:
kalvano wrote:

But it wouldn't just say that - it would show tangible growth stemming from an experience that is expected to change you (military service).

That's what a PS is for, not a GPA addendum.

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to go T14 but definitely Tier 1. I guess if I can get a high enough LSAT it should be doable. If not I'll just stick with accounting.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 am

PBateman1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to go T14 but definitely Tier 1. I guess if I can get a high enough LSAT it should be doable. If not I'll just stick with accounting.

Not trying to make decisions for you, but getting your CPA would probably take you a lot farther than a non-T14 law school. Or, on the average it would. Just some food for thought.

Also, I could not disagree with Kalvano's last post more. Definitely include the military experience as the reason for your drastic GPA change. Not doing so would be the dumbest thing you could do with your application. You should probably talk about military-related things in your PS as well, but that doesn't mean you can't include it in your GPA Addendum.

blazinswordofjustice

Postby blazinswordofjustice » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:58 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Definitely include the military experience as the reason for your drastic GPA change. Not doing so would be the dumbest thing you could do with your application.

definitely agree with the above, my 2 cents:
the military experience and upward trend won't erase the fact that they are going to be looking at your total average GPA and the lower number will hurt you (the schools ranking is based on your full GPA sadly, so they can't just ignore it...)

HOWEVER... it seems that given the circumstances – you are in the best possible spot – not only did your GPA get much better but the break between was military service…I don’t think it matters if you touch on the military service in your ps or an addendum but DEFINITELY touch on it and how your increased maturity/etc...has made you a better student/person/yaddayadda

with regards to CPA, study and take the lsat, see how it goes and go from there...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”