Getting MBA before going to law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlakcMajikc

Re: Getting MBA before going to law school

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:38 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:I got an MBA. Now I'm heading to law school. Life is good.
If its free, get the MBA. It can only help with your apps. I also really enjoyed my MBA courses and the learning experience.

Not the point:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... ?f=2&t=296

a[n] MBA [in a JD/MBA] adds little and can even be a hindrance at times. For most law firms, they want applicants who did well in law school and give only marginal value to the MBA, even for those practicing corporate law. Some firms even view the MBA as a negative, for it can be seen as a lack of commitment to the legal field as leaving for business is now a viable option.

That archive was referring to a joint degree JD/MBA.

And, I have heard that opinion as well, but not only is the OP not looking for a JD/MBA, I don't think the MBA that the OP is getting for free creates a very "viable option to leave for business."

The dual-degree JD/MBA (or at least a decent MBA before receiving the JD) is where the problem lies with a commitment to firm work, etc. While I have an opinion about the MBA and M7 (my MBA is from a top 20 MBA program outside the M7), none of that opinion applies in this case. Doesn't seem to be an option for OP whose goal is law school anyway and can get the MBA for free. Basically, I think the OPs MBA will be a resume builder and additional soft for law school apps and (because it isn't a good MBA) it shouldn't hurt with post-JD.

A good question that someone else asked was why an MBA if its any masters for free at this liberal arts college? I would have OP consider a Masters in one of their better programs if possible...

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Why do you think the advice regarding joint programs (JD/MBA) is not applicable to those who pursue an MBA before their JD?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Why do you think the advice regarding joint programs (JD/MBA) is not applicable to those who pursue an MBA before their JD?

I don't think that the advice regarding joint programs is applicable in this particular case.

Its easier to explain my reasoning in an example/scenario:
Person A is considering a JD/MBA, but their priority is law school. They have the grades, scores and softs to go to the T14. Because of the high-caliber of schools in the T14 and because of simultaneous pursuit of two professional degrees, the MBA could be seen in a negative light by firms. In that case, the reasoning of that archived topic thread definitely falls into play.

Person B has the opportunity to get a free MBA (like I did, and I'm sure many others). But Person B's MBA will pale in comparison to the prestige of the T14 (or in my case, my MBA pales in comparison to HLS). Person B may or may not have the opportunity to go to the T14. Person B has not taken the LSAT. Person B should consider getting their free MBA because (1) the degree will be another soft for the law school application resume and either (2) a T14 JD will overshadow the MBA or (3) the job search with a non-T14 JD will not be hinder by another professional degree

In this case of the OP, the caliber and the timing of the MBA (non-simultaneous) matter.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:37 pm

FYI - This advice is dated. Five (or six, depending on how you look at it) of the T14 now have JD/MBA degrees that can be completed in 3 years. Legal employers are becoming more comfortable with the JD/MBA, as evidenced by the payment of bonuses and giving of second year status to JD/MBA applicants at some of the country's top firms.

The advice about the marginal benefit of the dual degree for law is still relevant, however given the state of the legal market the benefits of having an MBA for career alternatives shouldn't be taken lightly.

As an example, Goodwin Proctor has a specific JD/MBA recruiting drive: --LinkRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”