Work for family business- Recommendation from dad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BenPH

Work for family business- Recommendation from dad?

Postby BenPH » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Should I have my dad write me a recommendation? Hear me out...

After graduating from UNC in May 2009 I went to work for my family's business. I have been here ever since, and now want to apply to law school. My dad talked me into waiting because the family business needed my help in an Operations Manager role. Now I am over two years removed from school, all relationships with faculty have essentially vanished, and the only person able to write a recommendation concerning my work ethic and abilities is my dad.

I know it seems ridiculous to submit a letter of recommendation written by one's parent. However, I have essentially been running this business since May 2009, have demonstrated the ability to multitask, work weird hours, and prepare endless tedious documents for various government certification programs, and all sorts of other stuff that I assume law school admission boards view favorably. The only problem is that the management of this business is just me and my dad.

So what do y'all think?

freestallion

Re: Work for family business- Recommendation from dad?

Postby freestallion » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Please use the search function. There was just an extensive/long thread on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163375&p=4704159&hilit=recommendation+parent#p4704159

The consensus is no, you should not ask your parent for a recommendation. Track down your old professors and get them to write you something. Show them your papers or something. The recommendations may be generic but it's necessary.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:28 pm

A LOR from a close family member looks terrible.

Aren't there any clients, regular customers, or other outside people you had contact with through your work who could write you one?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Absolutely not.

BenPH

Postby BenPH » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I reckon I'll be sending some emails to old professors today.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”