negatives of going part-time

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
941law

negatives of going part-time

Postby 941law » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 am

Can PT'ers obtain the same amount of money as FT'ers? Are there restrictions regarding switching from PT to FT?

jbwez121

Re: negatives of going part-time

Postby jbwez121 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

Someone may have a better answer to your first question, but as to part II, from my experience it varies by the school. I have seen apps that do not allow you to transfer into FT after being admitted to PT. Typically this is addressed somewhere on the app...

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am

On transferring between FT and PT programs--it varies a lot from school to school, but many allow you to switch after the first year. GULC used to be much more liberal with its policies but starting this year is asking students to have a very compelling reason to switch between programs. Fordham/American/GMU seem to make it fairly easy.

I applied to both FT and PT programs and, anecdotally, I received no money at schools where according to my numbers I should have gotten something. FWIW I did not aggressively pursue them, but just based on my experience I do think schools are more stingey with PT students on awards since they will have a salary. LSN seems to support this, but it's hard to say with so few PT data points.

bardreams

Postby bardreams » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 pm

If one did not have a job lined up, would it look bad If I applied as part time with the general goal of getting a job in the area? If there are a couple schools that I'm shooting for but my numbers aren't good enough I am considering applying part time. Do some PT law students work part time or are they all full time? Do some not work at all and have other(fam) commitments?

Some insight on this would be great.

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Well this brings me to my next question, would going PT with no intention of having a job during 1L be a mistake? In all honesty I think it would be a good choice because the work load in FT might be too much for me in 1L. I'm thinking more strategy. I would only attend a LS that allowed the pt-ft switch.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:09 pm

941law wrote:Well this brings me to my next question, would going PT with no intention of having a job during 1L be a mistake? In all honesty I think it would be a good choice because the work load in FT might be too much for me in 1L. I'm thinking more strategy. I would only attend a LS that allowed the pt-ft switch.

There were numerous 1L student ambassadors at GW PT ASW who did not work or who only worked around 15 hours a week. I was surprised. One of reasons I chose not to go there is that I'd planned to work full time and I didn't want to compete with others in my section who had no job when my own schedule would have been insane.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Also, if you apply PT, schools either explicitly or implicitly want you to tell them why. I don't think lighter course load or lower LSAT mrdians would be a favorable reason in adcomms' minds.

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:50 am

How about loans? Are PT students offered enough loans to cover books, tuition, and adequate cost of living? Essentially I'm asking will the school put PT kids in a position to HAVE to work or will loans allow them to not work if need be.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”