why X? question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
magicdonquan

why X? question

Postby magicdonquan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

So I am preparing a "why X" statement for a school that I would regard as my top choice. Few questions:

1. How long should this approx. be?
2. I am specifically naming professors/clinical directors whom I hope to work with if I am accepted. I am also making brief references to their work history/publications.
3. Anything an applicant should particularly refer to in these types of statements? I'm focusing on the city/faculty/clinics offered.

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Re: why X? question

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Should be about one page double spaced. You can cut down to 1.5 spacing if you have a lot to say but try to keep it one page.

Otherwise, sounds like you have it down. Just explain your reasons for wanting to attend that school. Make them feel confident that if accepted, there is a solid chance you'd attend.

bp shinners

Re: why X? question

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 pm

magicdonquan wrote:So I am preparing a "why X" statement for a school that I would regard as my top choice. Few questions:
2. I am specifically naming professors/clinical directors whom I hope to work with if I am accepted. I am also making brief references to their work history/publications.
Thanks!

Just make sure that those professors are still teaching classes regularly. If you reference a professor who's still listed as faculty, but hasn't actually taught a class for several years, that doesn't look too good.

You may laugh, but it's happened before.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”