JD/MBA / MBA Admissions GPA versus GMAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

GMAT or GPA most important for JD/MBA / MBA Admissions

GPA
No votes
GMAT
100%

Total votes: 3

lebroniousjames

JD/MBA / MBA Admissions GPA versus GMAT

Postby lebroniousjames » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Re: JD/MBA / MBA Admissions GPA versus GMAT

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:I guess this goes for both JD/MBA and regular MBA admissions, but is anyone familiar with how MBA programs weight undergrad GPA versus GMAT (and now GRE, I guess). Also, do they weight the math section more heavily than than the verbal, or just your overall score?

I know that work experience plays a (much) more predominant role in MBA admissions, but just on numbers alone how does say a 650 (36 V, 43 Quant) and 3.86 stand up against the inverse along the lines of 700+ and say 3.3ish?

Appreciate any input

Depends on the MBA program.

As a general rule, GPA and GMAT are thresholds. Past a certain point they don't really matter (i.e., the difference between a 730 and a 780 is immaterial). Below a certain point they hurt you, but can be made up for by other factors (i.e., work experience).

For top 10 or so programs (harvard, stanford, wharton, MIT, columbia, kellogg, tuck, etc.) you probably need at least a 700 and a 3.3 absent other strong compensating factors.

Seems like you know this, but just to emphasize, work experience, interviews, recs, and essays play a much bigger factor in MBA admissions. Top programs are happy to (and often do) reject 3.8+ 750+ candidates if their essays such or they bomb the interview, and are willing to reach below their 25th percentiles for a compelling story.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Oh, and to answer your actual question, between the two, GMAT is probably more important. B-schools realize GPAs aren't always comparable (and aren't as slavishly tied to US News rankings), and most candidates are several years out of undergrad.

Of the stats you mentioned, the latter candidate is stronger, all else equal.

Split between quant and verbal is very resume dependent. That is, if you had a heavily quant job, they won't scrutinize the math score too hard. But if you're coming from a soft background (i.e., law), they probably will put more weight on it. Similarly, schools scrutinize the verbal scores of non-native speakers more closely.

lebroniousjames

Postby lebroniousjames » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

1988AndX

Postby 1988AndX » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:42 pm

imchuckbass58 got it right on in my opinion.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”