Delete

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
loomstate

Delete

Postby loomstate » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Delete
Last edited by loomstate on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Apply early?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:44 pm

The apps have a question asking when you took/plan on taking the LSAT.

Most schools won't look at your app until it's complete, which it won't be until it includes your LSAT score. I don't think you gain much of an advantage by submitting before your score is in, but the best way to find out is to call the schools and ask.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am

If it is your first score, they will not look at your app until your score is reported - your LSDAS report won't be sent until you have a reportable score. It will save you a little time if you have everything ready ahead of time, but you will only be getting ahead of the other people taking the Dec. LSAT.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:25 am

Re-apply next year if you want the acceptances and scholarships that you deserve.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:33 am

Tanicius wrote:Re-apply next year if you want the acceptances and scholarships that you deserve.

Dec. isn't too late for many schools. I got offers after taking the Feb. LSAT, and Berkeley didn't extend anything until ASW (April), as you know.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:35 am

r6_philly wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Re-apply next year if you want the acceptances and scholarships that you deserve.

Dec. isn't too late for many schools. I got offers after taking the Feb. LSAT, and Berkeley didn't extend anything until ASW (April), as you know.

While true, when you're pushing into December odds are you're sacrificing a better quality cycle than one could otherwise have. You had an okay cycle, or maybe you even had a good one, but I've seen some messed up stuff on LSN enough times to know that applying late is just not a good idea. This applies doubly for scholarship eligibility - not just official eligibility, but realistic eligibility. Tons of merit money will already have been given away by January, before they even start looking at this guy's app. The only reason I wouldn't re-apply if I was the OP is because of some financial or family reason that just made it impossible to wait another year.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:04 am

I think this is a good idea. You will have more time to add in WE and make your application/PS perfect.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:00 pm

I appreciate all the input. I don't want this to sound douchey but I think it's a point worth considering - I have a prestigious internship this semester which might 1. explain why I'm taking the December test and 2. distinguish me from other straight-from-UG applicants applying on time rather than early. Also, money isn't of the highest concern, acceptances are. Hopefully schools like berkeley, which emphasize early apps, will place some value in my experience via internship 8)

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:09 pm

loomstate wrote:I appreciate all the input. I don't want this to sound douchey but I think it's a point worth considering - I have a prestigious internship this semester which might 1. explain why I'm taking the December test and 2. distinguish me from other straight-from-UG applicants applying on time rather than early. Also, money isn't of the highest concern, acceptances are. Hopefully schools like berkeley, which emphasize early apps, will place some value in my experience via internship 8)

I doubt your internship will make a difference. Are you in another country and thus cannot take the LSAT earlier? Or are you still in school and doing an internship on top of that?

Otherwise, a lot of people have challenging full time jobs and still manage to study for the LSAT and take it earlier so I don't think this will really distinguish you, in my opinion.

Either way, your application will still get looked at much later. Soft factors like why you took the LSAT in december are not as important to schools as simply: your score, your GPA and when you apply.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 pm

freestallion wrote:
I doubt your internship will make a difference.

A little strong. The internship is with the UN in Nairobi, I don't want to say too much more than that.

freestallion wrote:Either way, your application will still get looked at much later. Soft factors like why you took the LSAT in december are not as important to schools as simply: your score, your GPA and when you apply.

I agree with this. I also think my score will be much higher in december than it would be in october so it's a risk worth taking for me. The consensus on TLS is that applying on time rather than early hurts, but there seems to be a minority that says their cycle wasn't effected - hopefully I can add an above-75th percentile LSAT and it will speak to schools. Thanks for your input. I'm planning on just sending my apps in once I have my score, and if the cycle doesn't go well, reapplying next cycle. Yay for job hunting and an idle year!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:40 pm

loomstate wrote:
freestallion wrote:
I doubt your internship will make a difference.

A little strong. The internship is with the UN in Nairobi, I don't want to say too much more than that.

I LOL'd.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”