Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dba415
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby dba415 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Hey, I was wondering if JD/MBA is a good degree to have. My undergrad which is currently going on is in finance.

I'm looking at going to law school but like many of you here I am worried of a future where I can't find a job and am unable to compete for a job in any other industry because I just have a law degree.

If I get a JD/MBA would I be able to apply for jobs in both law and business? That way if I still can't find a law job then I have other options rather than just sit around waiting for a law position to hire me. Plus, would that make me a better candidate overall or make me worse of a candidate?

Would you rather go just JD at a top 20 school with minimal scholarships or go JD/MBA at a second tier law school/second tier business school provided you get scholarships?

Law school I get is mainly LSATs plus GPA, so I am projecting that I can get into at least a top 30 program without taking the LSATS yet (just diagnostic) though I'm aiming for top 14 which I believe can be done if I take a test masters course.

However, a strong MBA program is going to be difficult for me to get into straight out of undergrad because I lack work experience. I'm currently at a top 10 business program undergrad.

That's why I wouldn't say be able to attend a tier one JD/MBA program I don't think.

What do you guys think?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby soj » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Find a job, get WE, and then go to law school or business school. Probably not both. Probably business school.

lawyerdude
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby lawyerdude » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:05 pm

From my understanding, a JD/MBA is indeed useful, but know it will be incredibly hard to get into a good program coming straight out of undergrad. In fact, if you do decide to pursue a joint-degree, do it a few years after graduation.

Though it certainly opens doors, you have to realize that that extra year could potentially be an extra 50-70k in debt. With the current state of the legal profession, not going to a top 14 law school puts you at a grave disadvantage when looking for law jobs-- an extra year of debt will certainly not work in your favor. Businesses will then be reluctant to hire you due to lack of experience, and though I recognize how melodramatic this all seems, this could indeed be the reality.

I would just get a JD straight up from a T14 school. You already have a background in finance from undergrad, which will work well in your favor when looking for jobs.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby dkt4 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:47 pm

i'm kinda doing something similar so i guess i'll drop my 2 cents in...

first off, jd/mba's are often not worth it. there's a good chance you only use one of those degrees...so you should have some idea of what actual return you're going to be getting on your degree before you do it. some people will tell you that the MBA will scare off law firms or the jd will scare off companies, but from talking to some hiring attorneys, i have gathered that they seem to think that myth is largely bullshit provided you can come up with an intelligible reason for why you pursued the degree (which really isn't that hard to do).

obviously admission to b-schools and law schools is based on different criteria. it's not impossible to get into a good b-school out of UG, but it's pretty damn hard - and chances are you'll have to do both your degrees at the same university, which can limit your opportunities (there's a couple schools where that isn't the case...but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule).

this is largely dependent on what you want the degree for. it's dangerous to go in thinking "i'll just get both degrees, because if one flops i will have the other one." that's not really a recipe for success, and most likely will saddle you with a degree you never use and debt you didn't need to take on.

regardless of what you do, taking time off and getting work experience will help you in the admissions game. both law schools and b-schools like it. also, i have a tough time seeing the point of going to a b-school outside the top 5ish straight out of UG...not sure what you'd even get out of it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 am

dkt4 wrote: some people will tell you that the MBA will scare off law firms or the jd will scare off companies, but from talking to some hiring attorneys, i have gathered that they seem to think that myth is largely bullshit provided you can come up with an intelligible reason for why you pursued the degree (which really isn't that hard to do).


Some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI, period. If you are on a 4 year JD/MBA track, it also make your summer program difficult because of the timing as compared to the rest of your JD class. Not just a myth. Now if you get an interview, you just have to convince them that you want law more than business. It is doable, but most people probably don't come off convincing enough for firms to invest a summer of pay in you.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby dkt4 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:00 am

based on....?

edit: basically to say, while perhaps you are right, unless you can cite specific firms or a legitimate reason for saying that, i'm disinclined to believe you. i'm basing my position off of talks with some relatively high level attorney's (managing partners/ausa's) who called the entire notion bullshit (at least two used that exact phrase). in fairness, that doesn't mean you're wrong...that's just been what i've been told.

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:49 am

dkt4 wrote:based on....?

edit: basically to say, while perhaps you are right, unless you can cite specific firms or a legitimate reason for saying that, i'm disinclined to believe you. i'm basing my position off of talks with some relatively high level attorney's (managing partners/ausa's) who called the entire notion bullshit (at least two used that exact phrase). in fairness, that doesn't mean you're wrong...that's just been what i've been told.


^^ What a bunch of bullshit.

User avatar
monarchylover
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby monarchylover » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:00 am

as a major martindale/firm stalker I have seen quite a few JD/MBA 1st 2nd 3rd year associates but alas I really only look at Atlanta/Miami/Tampa

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 am

I also talked to quite a few hiring partners this summer in NYC about this exact thing. I was planning on doing both (I'm not sure if I will anymore). Basically every hiring partner told me it's not that great or that bad. Their were a few exceptions, two firms said if I could get a great MBA from a great school for cheap (I get the 9/11 GI Bill) I should do it. The one exception was a hiring partner at Cravath who blatantly told me if I walked in to an interview with him that he'd look at me sideways and wonder if I really wanted to do law. He said I would have to convince him that I wasn't using the firm as a stepping stone to something else. Maybe there are more people like him out there, it just seems weird to me because I'd think understanding business more fully would help you immensely in corporate law.
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby dkt4 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:07 pm

yeah i haven't talked to anybody at a firm like cravath, only a couple california firms, but from what i could tell for the most part you just have to have a reason for having both. i never had anyone suggest it would be a negative thing to have a jd/mba.

^^ What a bunch of bullshit.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:41 am

dkt4 wrote:based on....?

edit: basically to say, while perhaps you are right, unless you can cite specific firms or a legitimate reason for saying that, i'm disinclined to believe you. i'm basing my position off of talks with some relatively high level attorney's (managing partners/ausa's) who called the entire notion bullshit (at least two used that exact phrase). in fairness, that doesn't mean you're wrong...that's just been what i've been told.


1Ls going through OCI right now.

Edit: plus alum contacts in biglaw now. I am not saying I can name firm names, but when people my career services refer me to talk to tells me that, I give them the benefit of the doubt.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
dkt4 wrote: some people will tell you that the MBA will scare off law firms or the jd will scare off companies, but from talking to some hiring attorneys, i have gathered that they seem to think that myth is largely bullshit provided you can come up with an intelligible reason for why you pursued the degree (which really isn't that hard to do).


Some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI, period. If you are on a 4 year JD/MBA track, it also make your summer program difficult because of the timing as compared to the rest of your JD class. Not just a myth. Now if you get an interview, you just have to convince them that you want law more than business. It is doable, but most people probably don't come off convincing enough for firms to invest a summer of pay in you.


I am a JD/MBA. This is pretty blatantly wrong. Some firms won't hire you your second summer, but most will. I have yet to run across a single firm that will not interview JD/MBAs for their third summer. Every single JD/MBA at my school who interviewed for a biglaw SA their second summer got one. My performance at OCI for my second summer was roughly in line with my grades, and anecdotally people tend to do better interviewing for their final summer.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
dkt4 wrote: some people will tell you that the MBA will scare off law firms or the jd will scare off companies, but from talking to some hiring attorneys, i have gathered that they seem to think that myth is largely bullshit provided you can come up with an intelligible reason for why you pursued the degree (which really isn't that hard to do).


Some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI, period. If you are on a 4 year JD/MBA track, it also make your summer program difficult because of the timing as compared to the rest of your JD class. Not just a myth. Now if you get an interview, you just have to convince them that you want law more than business. It is doable, but most people probably don't come off convincing enough for firms to invest a summer of pay in you.


I am a JD/MBA. This is pretty blatantly wrong. Some firms won't hire you your second summer, but most will. I have yet to run across a single firm that will not interview JD/MBAs for their third summer. Every single JD/MBA at my school who interviewed for a biglaw SA their second summer got one. My performance at OCI for my second summer was roughly in line with my grades, and anecdotally people tend to do better interviewing for their final summer.


???

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:54 am

r6_philly wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
dkt4 wrote: some people will tell you that the MBA will scare off law firms or the jd will scare off companies, but from talking to some hiring attorneys, i have gathered that they seem to think that myth is largely bullshit provided you can come up with an intelligible reason for why you pursued the degree (which really isn't that hard to do).


Some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI, period. If you are on a 4 year JD/MBA track, it also make your summer program difficult because of the timing as compared to the rest of your JD class. Not just a myth. Now if you get an interview, you just have to convince them that you want law more than business. It is doable, but most people probably don't come off convincing enough for firms to invest a summer of pay in you.


I am a JD/MBA. This is pretty blatantly wrong. Some firms won't hire you your second summer, but most will. I have yet to run across a single firm that will not interview JD/MBAs for their third summer. Every single JD/MBA at my school who interviewed for a biglaw SA their second summer got one. My performance at OCI for my second summer was roughly in line with my grades, and anecdotally people tend to do better interviewing for their final summer.


???


And that is how it's done! It sucks I won't see you at Harvard man. Although I know someone just got off the WL today so maybe you'll still get that call.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
And that is how it's done! It sucks I won't see you at Harvard man. Although I know someone just got off the WL today so maybe you'll still get that call.


Nah man I got the email on vacay, so it's done! I guess I will just have to stay over here and pile degrees from this ivy :mrgreen:

Best of luck at HLS, and HBS! We will cross path one day, I know it! 2 summers at ....... right? :wink:

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am

r6_philly wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
dkt4 wrote: some people will tell you that the MBA will scare off law firms or the jd will scare off companies, but from talking to some hiring attorneys, i have gathered that they seem to think that myth is largely bullshit provided you can come up with an intelligible reason for why you pursued the degree (which really isn't that hard to do).


Some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI, period. If you are on a 4 year JD/MBA track, it also make your summer program difficult because of the timing as compared to the rest of your JD class. Not just a myth. Now if you get an interview, you just have to convince them that you want law more than business. It is doable, but most people probably don't come off convincing enough for firms to invest a summer of pay in you.


I am a JD/MBA. This is pretty blatantly wrong. Some firms won't hire you your second summer, but most will. I have yet to run across a single firm that will not interview JD/MBAs for their third summer. Every single JD/MBA at my school who interviewed for a biglaw SA their second summer got one. My performance at OCI for my second summer was roughly in line with my grades, and anecdotally people tend to do better interviewing for their final summer.


???


Why "???" You said some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI period. I said, this is partially true for second year JD/MBAs, but not at all true for third year JD/MBAs - there's a pretty big difference there.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:12 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Why "???" You said some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI period. I said, this is partially true for second year JD/MBAs, but not at all true for third year JD/MBAs - there's a pretty big difference there.


How is it partially true if at least 1 firm won't interview at OCI - it would be completely true. Not all firms interview at all schools. If at least one firm that interview at our OCI will not interview a JD/MBA, that will make my statement completely true - which you can't really be sure without knowing our schools and the complete firm list.

Either way, it is inaccurate to say "blatantly wrong".

grizzledballer
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby grizzledballer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:40 pm

to be fair, he said "won't hire" and you said "won't even interview." subtle difference maybe, but still. just sayin'.

dkt4
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Job possibilities with a JD/MBA dual degree.

Postby dkt4 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Why "???" You said some firms will not interview JD/MBA candidates at OCI period. I said, this is partially true for second year JD/MBAs, but not at all true for third year JD/MBAs - there's a pretty big difference there.


How is it partially true if at least 1 firm won't interview at OCI - it would be completely true. Not all firms interview at all schools. If at least one firm that interview at our OCI will not interview a JD/MBA, that will make my statement completely true - which you can't really be sure without knowing our schools and the complete firm list.

Either way, it is inaccurate to say "blatantly wrong".


are you guys differing on the 4 year vs. 3 year MBA? in that scenario, isn't 3rd summer = 2L summer? i'd guess this varies by school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests