What should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Horsefeathers

Re: What should I do?

Postby Horsefeathers » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:17 am

Sorry - I didn't mean to come across as incredulous. I am sincerely interested in your father's perspective because I too had wrangled with the pilot vs. law school question. I get what you're saying about the lifestyle too.

But leading a monotonous and sedentary life can be draining too.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 am

Horsefeathers wrote:Sorry - I didn't mean to come across as incredulous. I am sincerely interested in your father's perspective because I too had wrangled with the pilot vs. law school question. I get what you're saying about the lifestyle too.

But leading a monotonous and sedentary life can be draining too.

Sorry I can be kind of high strung

Horsefeathers wrote:OP: So your father is confident that there aren't droves upon droves of furloughed and regional pilots who'll be lining up for the openings with the major carriers, and getting the first shot, therefore making things less favorable for those just entering the industry?

Or, as the Bureau of Labor Statistics says, competition for jobs with the major carriers (The well paying ones that don't involve flying 8 legs a day for $12/hr) should be Keen

Well the way he is pushing me I would not say he thinks there are droves of them, but of the furloughed pilots our family knew from the big layoffs from right after 911 are the guys that now work for Jet blue Fedex Cathay Pacific etc. Also, the guys on regional carriers could move over but a lot of them wont because they will lose seniority but even if they did, again when my father retires pretty much of all pre AWA merger pilots so all of usairways east will be wide open which is half of the airline so even if Piedmont, republic, mesa etc pilots all go mainline you would still need a large amount of pilots. This is just at US. American, Delta and United will see similar trends because all three have massive retirements coming up because they hired the majority of their pilots in the 70s-80s hire boom. Also all those guys who were furloughed at US, United and American during 911 that moved over to fedex/Ups/jet blue/south west etc will retire at the same time. Also you have all of the Asian and Middle eastern expansion continuing.

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:46 am

Interesting - thanks for the additional information.
(Not that this is a message board about becoming a pilot, but it's definitely illuminating).

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:23 am

Personally, I could never work for a union, but if you can than it may be an option for you. I think a lot of people who have the drive and self-determination to practice law would do poorly in positions where their drive and self-determination are more likely to get them in trouble than help them. You should seriously evaluate if you would be able to live in a union environment. Before devoting your life to a career that is so involved with organized labor, maybe take a union job somewhere (if you can find one, this can be hard if you are not a skilled laborer) and see if you like it.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:41 am

Opie wrote:Personally, I could never work for a union, but if you can than it may be an option for you. I think a lot of people who have the drive and self-determination to practice law would do poorly in positions where their drive and self-determination are more likely to get them in trouble than help them. You should seriously evaluate if you would be able to live in a union environment. Before devoting your life to a career that is so involved with organized labor, maybe take a union job somewhere (if you can find one, this can be hard if you are not a skilled laborer) and see if you like it.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:59 am

Opie wrote:Personally, I could never work for a union, but if you can than it may be an option for you. I think a lot of people who have the drive and self-determination to practice law would do poorly in positions where their drive and self-determination are more likely to get them in trouble than help them. You should seriously evaluate if you would be able to live in a union environment. Before devoting your life to a career that is so involved with organized labor, maybe take a union job somewhere (if you can find one, this can be hard if you are not a skilled laborer) and see if you like it.

You can work for regional/commuter airlines they have weak/no unions but I am sure the 60%-70% less in pay is probably worth the ability to use your drive and self-determination. I can just see you in a checkride now "I don't care how it is suppose to be done that's how I do it!"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”