Bashed by a law dean last cycle, help me this cycle please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
j12

Re: Bashed by a law dean last cycle, help me this cycle please

Postby j12 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 am

vanwinkle wrote:
j12 wrote:Just wanted to leave this here

WTF, dude. Are you stalking people?

I had it open in another tab, came back to check out new posts, realized he had deleted his comments, and felt I should share them again.

Probably just a flame though.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am

j12 wrote:I had it open in another tab, came back to check out new posts, realized he had deleted his comments, and felt I should share them again.

Don't do that. We don't disturb what's already been said, but if someone edits some shit out, that means they want it gone. Don't go plastering it back up again. You're just going to intimidate people into not asking for help at all. Poking fun is one thing, but ganging up on someone and recreating their already-deleted posts is another.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:09 am

vanwinkle wrote:
j12 wrote:I had it open in another tab, came back to check out new posts, realized he had deleted his comments, and felt I should share them again.

Don't do that. We don't disturb what's already been said, but if someone edits some shit out, that means they want it gone. Don't go plastering it back up again. You're just going to intimidate people into not asking for help at all. Poking fun is one thing, but ganging up on someone and recreating their already-deleted posts is another.

What the fuck happened to policy that people's posts were fair game? I remember one long fucking butthurt conversation about quoting pics with mods basically agreeing that it's each poster's own responsibility not to post something if they don't want people to see it.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 am

TBF, he made an entire thread about mailing a photo in as a recommendation.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 am

Bildungsroman wrote:What the fuck happened to policy that people's posts were fair game?

People's posts are fair game. But if someone edits something out, then that's what's fair game. Don't go stalking people and recreating things they said after they've been deleted.

Bildungsroman wrote:I remember one long fucking butthurt conversation about quoting pics with mods basically agreeing that it's each poster's own responsibility not to post something if they don't want people to see it.

It is. But that doesn't mean people should go start caching things to repost later. If someone posted a pic, and someone else saved it to repost themslves after it'd already been removed, we wouldn't be okay with that. That would be stalkery. And we have banned people before after doing things like that.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:23 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

What the fuck happened to policy that people's posts were fair game? I remember one long fucking butthurt conversation about quoting pics with mods basically agreeing that it's each poster's own responsibility not to post something if they don't want people to see it.

The mods just make shit up on the fly while acting like they adhere to some agreed upon policies. When they say "mod policy" they just mean "I feel like this should be the rule right now". I don't have a problem with it because I really don't expect them to write a rulebook but they also shouldn't act like they're carrying out uniform rules that each mod is aware of and enforces.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

He didn't ban him or anything, he just said not to do it. The best part of OPs post was already preserved in the second reply anyway. People can get the gist of what happened without somebody reposting everything the OP deleted.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

naterj wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

The mods just make shit up on the fly while acting like they adhere to some agreed upon policies. When they say "mod policy" they just mean "I feel like this should be the rule right now". I don't have a problem with it because I really don't expect them to write a rulebook but they also shouldn't act like they're carrying out uniform rules that each mod is aware of and enforces.
Dude, I've decided that I don't like that post of mine you quoted. I'm going to edit the post and then demand that you change your post. Hope you understand.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm

naterj wrote:The mods just make shit up on the fly while acting like they adhere to some agreed upon policies. When they say "mod policy" they just mean "I feel like this should be the rule right now". I don't have a problem with it because I really don't expect them to write a rulebook but they also shouldn't act like they're carrying out uniform rules that each mod is aware of and enforces.

This is just asking for trouble...they're moderators for a reason. Using these boards is a privilege, not a right. They allow you to connect with other law students for insightful discussion, but if, and only if, you follow THEIR rules. It is not a democracy. That's the price you pay for the free service they provide. I'm okay with it.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:13 pm

wait, WTF is a A CLASS POLITICAL. that post made no sense.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:15 pm

mrtoren wrote:
naterj wrote:The mods just make shit up on the fly while acting like they adhere to some agreed upon policies. When they say "mod policy" they just mean "I feel like this should be the rule right now". I don't have a problem with it because I really don't expect them to write a rulebook but they also shouldn't act like they're carrying out uniform rules that each mod is aware of and enforces.

This is just asking for trouble...they're moderators for a reason. Using these boards is a privilege, not a right. They allow you to connect with other law students for insightful discussion, but if, and only if, you follow THEIR rules. It is not a democracy. That's the price you pay for the free service they provide. I'm okay with it.

LOL. the internet is srsbsns, clearly.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:wait, WTF is a A CLASS POLITICAL. that post made no sense.

It would have if you could have read the OP.

:wink:

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:40 pm

wth is wrong with submitting pics I am sending my submission for a playgirl spread!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:40 pm

monarchylover wrote:wth is wrong with submitting pics I am sending my submission for a playgirl spread!

Well that does pertain to WE

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:43 pm

This is easily the most bizarre thread I've ever seen on the internets.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Real Madrid wrote:This is easily the most bizarre thread I've ever seen on the internets.

lurk moar

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Real Madrid wrote:This is easily the most bizarre thread I've ever seen on the internets.

you must be new to the internet

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:What the fuck happened to policy that people's posts were fair game?

People's posts are fair game. But if someone edits something out, then that's what's fair game. Don't go stalking people and recreating things they said after they've been deleted.

Clarification: Can I edit my posts and then demand that people unquote them?

ETA: 'cause I am totally doing that if so. :lol:

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:33 pm

naterj wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Mod law in this country is NOT governed by reason.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”