Better Undergrad Univ

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Duckfanvet

Better Undergrad Univ

Postby Duckfanvet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:18 am

First time poster wanting some advice on an undergrad school. I am a ex vet currently at the tail end of my second year of community college with a 4.0 GPA. My question is I must choose between going to Univ Of Oregon(I'm from Eugene) or to transfer to another school such as UCBerkeley. I do not have a great deal of money so it would be breaking my bank to be doing undergrad work out of state. I am willing to do this if getting a degree from a better undergrad school will help my chances with a top14. Will going to the Univ of Oregon with a strong GPA and LSAT scores be enough or should I consider UCBerkeley. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dany

Re: Better Undergrad Univ

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:24 am

Your LSAT and GPA are the most important things. Going to UCB over Oregon will not affect your admissions chances, and you definitely do not want the extra debt from Berkeley. Congrats on the 4.0 - keep it up at Oregon, pair it with a great LSAT, and you will have a shot at any school in the country.

I went to a totally non-prestigious UG and got plenty of great T14 acceptances.

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:25 am

i say go to berkeley only because it is fckin awesome 8)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:25 am

Berkeley out of state is a ripoff. Go to UOregon and enjoy your affordable education.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:37 am

I was in a similar situation back in the day and I chose my state's equivalent of UOregon. 2005 me wondered if it was a mistake, but 2011 me is very glad I made that choice. I can't imagine applying to law school with a lot of UG debt. If I had debt, it would make me think long and hard about paying sticker, even for a T14.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am

Foremost, go to whichever university you can get the highest GPA at. In terms of law school, a GPA from Berkeley and a GPA from UOregon will almost exclusively be seen on equal footing in terms of admissions; in other words, going to Berkeley over UOregon is extremely unlikely to help your chances at the T14.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:
Majoring in liberal arts: Go to UOregon, minimize your debt, and get the highest grades possible.
Majoring in science/engineering: Go to Berkeley, risk a huge drop in GPA, incur more debt, but at least you'll be able to find a job if you decide against law school later.

If you are absolutely sure that you want to go to law school, go to UOregon and major in whatever will get you the highest GPA.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:06 pm

My good friend went to UofO and will be attending HLS this year. Didn't hurt her, and won't hurt you.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Booooo Ducks.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:18 pm

KevinP wrote:Foremost, go to whichever university you can get the highest GPA at. In terms of law school, a GPA from Berkeley and a GPA from UOregon will almost exclusively be seen on equal footing in terms of admissions; in other words, going to Berkeley over UOregon is extremely unlikely to help your chances at the T14.

Majoring in anything other than science/engineering: Go to UOregon, minimize your debt, and get the highest grades possible.
Majoring in science/engineering: Go to Berkeley, risk a huge drop in GPA, incur more debt, but at least you'll be able to find a job if you decide against law school later.

If you are absolutely sure that you want to go to law school, go to UOregon and major in whatever will get you the highest GPA.

This. I couldn't imagine anyone looking down on U of O; except maybe some HYS snobs. They do have some pretty lame football uniforms though (duck feathers on the shoulder pads? Really?).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:20 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
KevinP wrote:Foremost, go to whichever university you can get the highest GPA at. In terms of law school, a GPA from Berkeley and a GPA from UOregon will almost exclusively be seen on equal footing in terms of admissions; in other words, going to Berkeley over UOregon is extremely unlikely to help your chances at the T14.

Majoring in anything other than science/engineering: Go to UOregon, minimize your debt, and get the highest grades possible.

This. I couldn't imagine anyone looking down on U of O; except maybe some HYS snobs. They do have some pretty lame football uniforms though (duck feathers on the shoulder pads? Really?).
They're not duck feathers, they're precious angel wings.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:27 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:

I love those uniforms. I almost want to go back in time and apply to Oregon just BECAUSE of those uniforms.

Duckfanvet

Postby Duckfanvet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Precious angel wings. Hilarious. Thanks for the answers i appreciate it.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 pm

what kind of soulless monster doesn't like the oregon uniforms?

re: OP, oregon's a pretty good school...i guess cal is somewhat more highly regarded, but generally oregon is well regarded. not like you're going to bumblefuck state.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Save a few bucks and go to Oregon. U of O's a good school and Eugene is probably the best college town in the U.S.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Dany wrote:Your LSAT and GPA are the most important things. Going to UCB over Oregon will not affect your admissions chances, and you definitely do not want the extra debt from Berkeley. Congrats on the 4.0 - keep it up at Oregon, pair it with a great LSAT, and you will have a shot at any school in the country.

I went to a totally non-prestigious UG and got plenty of great T14 acceptances.

+1 to everything from Dany

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:56 pm

dkt4 wrote:what kind of soulless monster doesn't like the oregon uniforms?
1. Locate the craphole known as "Eugene" on a map of Oregon.
2. Trace about 35 miles north on I-5 and 10 miles west on OR-34.
3. Locate the cute (if somewhat boring) little town known as "Corvallis."

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:+1 to everything from Dany

That is just my mantra for life in general.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Your undergrad doesn't matter at all. I'm a vet as well and went to AMU (online). Still made it in everywhere my numbers said I should have....including T14.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:17 pm

blowhard wrote:Your undergrad doesn't matter at all. I'm a vet as well and went to AMU (online). Still made it in everywhere my numbers said I should have....including T14.

For a moment I thought you were a veterinarian.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:25 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:1. Locate the craphole known as "Eugene" on a map of Oregon.
2. Trace about 35 miles north on I-5 and 10 miles west on OR-34.
3. Locate the cute (if somewhat boring) little town known as "Corvallis."

troof.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”