My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LegalMan
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm

My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby LegalMan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:21 am

When I mentioned all the reasons why I shouldn't attend a TTT school, she responded; "If it's such a bad option, why do so many people apply"?

Can you guys answer this for me?

Is it because people can't find jobs and have nothing better to do?

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby NZA » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 am

This is when you smile vindictively and say to your mom, "If all the people at TTTs jumped off a bridge, would you?"

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 am

IB scammedhard, MTal, taxguy, etc.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:23 am

LegalMan wrote:When I mentioned all the reasons why I shouldn't attend a TTT school, she responded; "If it's such a bad option, why do so many people apply"?

Can you guys answer this for me?

Is it because people can't find jobs and have nothing better to do?


Depends:

1) Some people don't do the research and don't realize that those schools are such bad options. The schools themselves usually distorts the stats on their websites about employment.
1a) There's this idea that a law degree is "so flexible" outside of the law field, that isn't quite true, esp. in a down economy.
2) People think they will be special snowflakes who will work hard and beat the odds and be #1.
3) Some people already have connections to line them a nice job up afterwards. These people should go.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby northwood » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:23 am

NZA wrote:This is when you smile vindictively and say to your mom, "If all the people at TTTs jumped off a bridge, would you?"



how warm is it? and how big are the rocks in the stream?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 am

acrossthelake wrote:
LegalMan wrote:When I mentioned all the reasons why I shouldn't attend a TTT school, she responded; "If it's such a bad option, why do so many people apply"?

Can you guys answer this for me?

Is it because people can't find jobs and have nothing better to do?


Depends:

1) Some people don't do the research and don't realize that those schools are such bad options. The schools themselves usually distorts the stats on their websites about employment.
1a) There's this idea that a law degree is "so flexible" outside of the law field, that isn't quite true, esp. in a down economy.
2) People think they will be special snowflakes who will work hard and beat the odds and be #1.
3) Some people already have connections to line them a nice job up afterwards. These people should go.

Don't forget the people who think they will be able to transfer up.

LegalMan
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby LegalMan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:31 am

Idk...

I think my family is upset that I became a huge loser. I was making near 60K before the Economy hit me (I just turned 23 and got laid off)

I have an undergrad degree @ Northwestern.....

I have a job lined up at Coke, but the pay is significantly less (around 45K), and the work is..... well..... not glamorous

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:33 am

acrossthelake wrote:2) People think they will be special snowflakes who will work hard and beat the odds and be #1.

This is huge, especially since the worse a school is the better people think they'll do at it, even if every indication pegs them as someone for whom that school is a decent fit in terms of their peers' intelligence and ability. Someone going to a TTT is much more likely to consider themselves too good for the school, causing them to be too optimistic in predicting their performance (at least from what I've seen).

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:46 am

LegalMan wrote:Idk...

I think my family is upset that I became a huge loser. I was making near 60K before the Economy hit me (I just turned 23 and got laid off)

I have an undergrad degree @ Northwestern.....

I have a job lined up at Coke, but the pay is significantly less (around 45K), and the work is..... well..... not glamorous


Shut up and be thankful that you have a job. 45K at 23 with just a bachelors is doing alright. It's not like you've got a family to feed.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby NZA » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:02 am

northwood wrote:
NZA wrote:This is when you smile vindictively and say to your mom, "If all the people at TTTs jumped off a bridge, would you?"



how warm is it? and how big are the rocks in the stream?

It's cold at dusk. As you gaze down, deep into the gray waters swirling hundreds of feet below you, you see the bloody red carnage and bloated forms of human bodies bobbing, swirling around the bridge's pylons. Some of the bodies are still intact; others, utterly recognizable chunks of flesh. Off to the west, towards the now setting sun, you see the rocky shore, where seagulls caw and scream at each other, fighting over some of the remains that have washed onto the stones. Piles of bones, bleached white from weeks of sitting in the sun, remind you of chalk markings on a blackboard of brine covered boulders.

As you stare below, you pause and begin to think to yourself, "Why am I here?"

Your mind turns back to a few years ago, when you posted on TLS. You had a feeling that jumping off into this River of STTTix was a bad idea...something about it, something about it's black, pitiless waters gave you a sense of unease. You created a thread asking the advice of some random people on the internet: they seemed well-informed. They typed in declaratory sentences, they made jokes, they cackled sarcastically at the mention of "Cooley."

The feeling of unease did not cease. But your mother, brought the issue up constantly at dinner. "TLS? They don't know anything," she said. "If TTTs, as you call them, are so terrible, WHY do so many people apply to them?"

She twirled some spaghetti on her fork, and turned to your father. "Right, honey? Don't you think that Johnny should go to law school?

Your father merely grunted, turning the page of his newspaper. He'd stopped talking about your future long ago, his resentment of your intelligence becoming more and more evident with each passing year. My son, a lawyer? he thought. He wondered what the other guys at the mechanics shop where he'd worked since high school would say....

In the end, you took her word to heart, and made the climb to the TTTower Bridge.

As your mind wanders, you hear footsteps headed towards you. It's a group of people...they seem familiar, but you're not sure why. They are carrying backpacks filled with books. Some of them are laughing and joking with each other, you think you hear the words "ED to UVa," but you can't be sure, because you have no clue what any of those words could mean.

You turn to them, and they spot you. A few of them wave to you, and you timidly wave back.

"Hello?" you say, looking at them curiously. "Hi, are you guys thinking about making the jump, too?"

The group stops, and one of the kids with a large blue backpack looks at you. "Sorry, jump?"

"Yeah," you say, glancing back into the red froth below. "The jump. Into STTTix."

The kid, the one who had asked you the question, mutters quietly to the other members of the group. The kids all glance at you, and the blue backpacked one jogs over to you. The rest of the group, no longer laughing, nods at you grimly as they continue on their way.

"Hey, there," the kid says. "Thinking about jumping, huh?" He winces as he glances below, and his face turns a bit pale as he returns his gaze to your face.

"Uh, well, yeah," you say. You're not sure why, but you're trying not to look completely puzzled as to this stranger's sudden interest in your plans. "I mean, lots of people do it. That means it's okay, right?"

The kid shakes his head. "Really?"

"Really!" Your curiosity is turning into something else. A feeling you used to have once....

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" The kid gestures to the STTTix. "I mean...it really doesn't look like things are going to well for people that have made the leap."

The unknown feeling grows within you as you nervously reply, "But...I mean, I'll make it out okay, right? Some people do."

The kid merely raises an eyebrow. You start to get defensive.

"I mean...I know, I know. I've read the articles. I know that STTTix can be a scam, that the schools use stipulated scholarships to draw applicants, that employment statistics are manipulated, that many people don't graduate with jobs...but that won't happen to me. I'm smart. I can do it."

The kid shakes his head. "Maybe. But maybe not. And what if you lose? What if you make the jump, and you end up...?" He gestures to the murky bath below. "What then?"

Suddenly, you realize what that gnawing feeling in your stomach is: it is that sense of unease, that sense that something is just not quite right. The feeling grows.

"What if instead of rushing into a major investment that has a minimal chance of positive return, you spent a year researching other options?" the kid says. "What if instead of making a rash decision by giving a group of borderline unethical people your entire future, you studied a little longer and harder for the LSAT?"

The feeling is becoming painful. A sharp pain shoots inside your stomach, radiating out into your limbs, your fingers. You gasp, and you reach your hand out for the railing of the bridge.

"You have a choice, you know." Your eyes are closed in pain, and you feel like the kid's voice is coming from somewhere far away. "You don't have to do this."

As you reach out for help, your mother's voice suddenly hisses in your ear. "Jump, Johnny!" it whispers. "JUMP! Make your mother proud of you."

"No," you moan, "I don't want to..."

"You must!" Her voice grows louder. "You must! Do you think you're smart enough to get into a good school? Do you really think you're that smart? Look at your father. If you don't jump now, you'll end up like him."

The kid's voice, now, growing fainter. "Don't do it, bro!" Fainter and fainter. "ED to UVa! It's your only chance!"

Your mother is screaming now, and the pain in your stomach is growing greater and greater. It feels like it's splitting your insides out. "JUMP!" her voice is unbearable. "JUMP, YOU WORTHLESS BASTARD! DO IT NOW!"

The pain is now unbearable. Struggling, you whisper, "I will! I will!"

The kid, "No! Two years of work experience and ED to Northwestern!"

"JUMP NOW!"

"I will...I will..."

"Don't do it!"

"YOU MUST."

"Oh god please..."

You feel your body rolling off the bridge, thrown downward, falling, falling, into nothingness, blackness, pain, despair, nothingness, falling...








...and you wake up in a cold sweat.

"Sweet Jesus," you think. A brochure for Cooley sits quietly on your nightstand. You roll out of bed, wiping the sweat from your forehead, and you hold the brochure in your hands. It's glossy lustre with smiling token minorities reflects the moonlight from a window.

You hold it carefully, then rip it to shreds. First in half, the quarters, then you're furiously ripping it as fast as you can into as many pieces as possible, and you think to yourself that you would tear the electrons from the atoms themselves if you could.

Finally, surrounded by a pile of paper, you feel tired. But you feel good. You feel secure. And you close your eyes, and go back to sleep.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:09 am

NZA wrote:
northwood wrote:
NZA wrote:This is when you smile vindictively and say to your mom, "If all the people at TTTs jumped off a bridge, would you?"



how warm is it? and how big are the rocks in the stream?

It's cold at dusk. As you gaze down, deep into the gray waters swirling hundreds of feet below you, you see the bloody red carnage and bloated forms of human bodies bobbing, swirling around the bridge's pylons. Some of the bodies are still intact; others, utterly recognizable chunks of flesh. Off to the west, towards the now setting sun, you see the rocky shore, where seagulls caw and scream at each other, fighting over some of the remains that have washed onto the stones. Piles of bones, bleached white from weeks of sitting in the sun, remind you of chalk markings on a blackboard of brine covered boulders.

As you stare below, you pause and begin to think to yourself, "Why am I here?"

Your mind turns back to a few years ago, when you posted on TLS. You had a feeling that jumping off into this River of STTTix was a bad idea...something about it, something about it's black, pitiless waters gave you a sense of unease. You created a thread asking the advice of some random people on the internet: they seemed well-informed. They typed in declaratory sentences, they made jokes, they cackled sarcastically at the mention of "Cooley."

The feeling of unease did not cease. But your mother, brought the issue up constantly at dinner. "TLS? They don't know anything," she said. "If TTTs, as you call them, are so terrible, WHY do so many people apply to them?"

She twirled some spaghetti on her fork, and turned to your father. "Right, honey? Don't you think that Johnny should go to law school?

Your father merely grunted, turning the page of his newspaper. He'd stopped talking about your future long ago, his resentment of your intelligence becoming more and more evident with each passing year. My son, a lawyer? he thought. He wondered what the other guys at the mechanics shop where he'd worked since high school would say....

In the end, you took her word to heart, and made the climb to the TTTower Bridge.

As your mind wanders, you hear footsteps headed towards you. It's a group of people...they seem familiar, but you're not sure why. They are carrying backpacks filled with books. Some of them are laughing and joking with each other, you think you hear the words "ED to UVa," but you can't be sure, because you have no clue what any of those words could mean.

You turn to them, and they spot you. A few of them wave to you, and you timidly wave back.

"Hello?" you say, looking at them curiously. "Hi, are you guys thinking about making the jump, too?"

The group stops, and one of the kids with a large blue backpack looks at you. "Sorry, jump?"

"Yeah," you say, glancing back into the red froth below. "The jump. Into STTTix."

The kid, the one who had asked you the question, mutters quietly to the other members of the group. The kids all glance at you, and the blue backpacked one jogs over to you. The rest of the group, no longer laughing, nods at you grimly as they continue on their way.

"Hey, there," the kid says. "Thinking about jumping, huh?" He winces as he glances below, and his face turns a bit pale as he returns his gaze to your face.

"Uh, well, yeah," you say. You're not sure why, but you're trying not to look completely puzzled as to this stranger's sudden interest in your plans. "I mean, lots of people do it. That means it's okay, right?"

The kid shakes his head. "Really?"

"Really!" Your curiosity is turning into something else. A feeling you used to have once....

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" The kid gestures to the STTTix. "I mean...it really doesn't look like things are going to well for people that have made the leap."

The unknown feeling grows within you as you nervously reply, "But...I mean, I'll make it out okay, right? Some people do."

The kid merely raises an eyebrow. You start to get defensive.

"I mean...I know, I know. I've read the articles. I know that STTTix can be a scam, that the schools use stipulated scholarships to draw applicants, that employment statistics are manipulated, that many people don't graduate with jobs...but that won't happen to me. I'm smart. I can do it."

The kid shakes his head. "Maybe. But maybe not. And what if you lose? What if you make the jump, and you end up...?" He gestures to the murky bath below. "What then?"

Suddenly, you realize what that gnawing feeling in your stomach is: it is that sense of unease, that sense that something is just not quite right. The feeling grows.

"What if instead of rushing into a major investment that has a minimal chance of positive return, you spent a year researching other options?" the kid says. "What if instead of making a rash decision by giving a group of borderline unethical people your entire future, you studied a little longer and harder for the LSAT?"

The feeling is becoming painful. A sharp pain shoots inside your stomach, radiating out into your limbs, your fingers. You gasp, and you reach your hand out for the railing of the bridge.

"You have a choice, you know." Your eyes are closed in pain, and you feel like the kid's voice is coming from somewhere far away. "You don't have to do this."

As you reach out for help, your mother's voice suddenly hisses in your ear. "Jump, Johnny!" it whispers. "JUMP! Make your mother proud of you."

"No," you moan, "I don't want to..."

"You must!" Her voice grows louder. "You must! Do you think you're smart enough to get into a good school? Do you really think you're that smart? Look at your father. If you don't jump now, you'll end up like him."

The kid's voice, now, growing fainter. "Don't do it, bro!" Fainter and fainter. "ED to UVa! It's your only chance!"

Your mother is screaming now, and the pain in your stomach is growing greater and greater. It feels like it's splitting your insides out. "JUMP!" her voice is unbearable. "JUMP, YOU WORTHLESS BASTARD! DO IT NOW!"

The pain is now unbearable. Struggling, you whisper, "I will! I will!"

The kid, "No! Two years of work experience and ED to Northwestern!"

"JUMP NOW!"

"I will...I will..."

"Don't do it!"

"YOU MUST."

"Oh god please..."

You feel your body rolling off the bridge, thrown downward, falling, falling, into nothingness, blackness, pain, despair, nothingness, falling...








...and you wake up in a cold sweat.

"Sweet Jesus," you think. A brochure for Cooley sits quietly on your nightstand. You roll out of bed, wiping the sweat from your forehead, and you hold the brochure in your hands. It's glossy lustre with smiling token minorities reflects the moonlight from a window.

You hold it carefully, then rip it to shreds. First in half, the quarters, then you're furiously ripping it as fast as you can into as many pieces as possible, and you think to yourself that you would tear the electrons from the atoms themselves if you could.

Finally, surrounded by a pile of paper, you feel tired. But you feel good. You feel secure. And you close your eyes, and go back to sleep.

1 fucking 80. :lol:

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15455
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:10 am

Fucking legendary NZA.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:10 am

Image

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:15 am

Holy fuck

LegalMan
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby LegalMan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:15 am

That was funny..... hahahah

I wasn't going to go to Cooley though hahahah. Creighton isn't that bad of a school...

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby NZA » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:17 am

LegalMan wrote:That was funny..... hahahah

I wasn't going to go to Cooley though hahahah. Creighton isn't that bad of a school...

:) I took some artistic license. I'm sure your mom is also a very charming woman.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 am

one fucking eighty.

LegalMan
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby LegalMan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:22 am

I got to say....

This forum is one of a kind.....

User avatar
Ford Prefect
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:24 am

LegalMan wrote:When I mentioned all the reasons why I shouldn't attend a TTT school, she responded; "If it's such a bad option, why do so many people apply"?

Can you guys answer this for me?

Is it because people can't find jobs and have nothing better to do?

This is sort of precisely why I am. I probably should have attended law school a decade ago when it first entered my mind but instead entered a different line of work. Because I'm really only experienced at one thing and I absolutely don't want to go back into it (plus I have family considerations that knocked out several better-ranked schools I could have attended), I've started at a TTT and really don't feel bad about it at all. In your situation, though, I'd say work the new job for the year. Retake the LSAT as soon as you can and reapply for next year. If you can't get into a school you want to go to, let your family know that it's not the right option for you and end the conversation.

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:30 am

Reading that was the best 5 minutes I've spent in the last 5 months of LSAT prep.

...I really need to get my RC down.

User avatar
Montevillian
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Montevillian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:48 am

This needs to be reposted for every person posting 2.0/155 stats asking what their chances at NYLS are. Seriously.

Also, 180.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby shoeshine » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 am

Samara wrote:IB scammedhard, MTal, taxguy, etc.


My favorite part about scammedhard is that he is actual starting law school this year. Granted, he claims to have a full scholarship to a T14 (which I doubt). However, the mere fact that he is going to law school makes him a total hypocrite.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby bjsesq » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:17 am

shoeshine wrote:
Samara wrote:IB scammedhard, MTal, taxguy, etc.


My favorite part about scammedhard is that he is actual starting law school this year. Granted, he claims to have a full scholarship to a T14 (which I doubt). However, the mere fact that he is going to law school makes him a total hypocrite.


Scammedhard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>areyouinsane

One's critiques are somewhat reasonable, the other is a retard.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Opie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:18 am

RZA, was that your PS when you applied ED to UVa?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: My mom said I made a horrible decision not to go to LS

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:23 am

shoeshine wrote:
Samara wrote:IB scammedhard, MTal, taxguy, etc.


My favorite part about scammedhard is that he is actual starting law school this year. Granted, he claims to have a full scholarship to a T14 (which I doubt). However, the mere fact that he is going to law school makes him a total hypocrite.

Lol. Of all the scampoasters on here, he's probably the most reasonable and insightful, if a little inconsistent. Isn't he known to say that lower T14 is not a great choice, even at full scholarship? I guess he got a full ride at H. ::wink::




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], grandpapy360 and 9 guests