law school application and minor gross misdemeanor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
duke2015

law school application and minor gross misdemeanor

Postby duke2015 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 pm

long story short:
I was caught shoplifting today. The total of the item was less than $20. no police was present, I was not arrested or anything of a sort. What did happen is that I was questioned by a privet security detectives of the grocery store, signed a form that my name and picture will be kept on file for a year and I am banned from any one of their stores for a year as well.
They said I will probably get a citation in the mail in a few weeks with a court date, and what happens in 99% of cases is that it a gross misdemeanor of the third degree with a fine.

What I am concerned with is: is this something I need to disclose in my application? Nothing will most likely happen before the application cycle begins, and I will also most likely submit all my application before anything (if happens) will happen with this. In the case that I do get the citation, should I disclose it? I understand law schools don't run background checks. I realize that this might hunt me for the bar, but I will also have the opportunity to disclose it when I apply for the bar.

What do you think about this issue? how should I take this? Can I look at the time from now until I actually get something official in the mail as some sort of a 'grace period'? As of now all that has happen is that I was questioned by a detective from a privet security company.

thanks!

minnbills

Re: law school application and minor gross misdemeanor

Postby minnbills » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 pm

You absolutely have to disclose it.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:07 pm

What are you 14 years old? What was the thought process behind this little stunt?

To answer your question, always err on the side of disclosure.

D1989

Postby D1989 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Damn, man, what were you heistin'?

Maybe you can chalk this up to youthful indiscretion in your PS when you apply in two weeks!

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:13 pm

OP, can you please elaborate?

This is amusing.

duke2015

Postby duke2015 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:22 pm

I realize it was foolish. No doubt. The question now is if to address and disclose it or not.
What happens of the citation arrives after I applied? If the app asks if you were convicted, the answer is no. If it asks if 'committed' it is different.

I understand the black and white and that a clear answer is to disclose. I am trying to understand how I can work this or work around it. We are all going/about to head to law school.

Thanks to anyone with insight!

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Honestly, I would be more concerned about your grammar and writing skills affecting your law school chances than that incident.

duke2015 wrote:I realize it was foolish. No doubt. The question now is if to address and disclose it or not.
What happens of the citation arrives after I applied? If the app asks if you were convicted, the answer is no. If it asks if 'committed' it is different.
I understand the black and white and that a clear answer is to disclose. I am trying to understand how I can work this or work around it. We are all going/about to head to law school.

Thanks to anyone with insight!

You screwed up. The language of the application will dictate what you have to disclose. However, if you attempt to deceive schools about this misdeed in the name of admittance, I promise you, that will be a HUGE mistake.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:27 pm

duke2015 wrote:hunt me for the bar

This is who they let into Duke? Shoplifters with bad grammar?

duke2015

Postby duke2015 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I am sorry for the grammar. Eng is my 2nd language and Im writing this from my phone.
I do appreciate your thoughts. I have a consult with an attorney tomorrow and I'll be able to make wiser decisions.
Thanks again.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Did you get caught for tasting grapes? I kinda hope they caught you tasting grapes.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:52 pm

PSUdevon wrote:Did you get caught for tasting grapes? I kinda hope they caught you tasting grapes.

Bahaha +1

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:47 pm

lots of applications especially cali schools only ask for felony convictions....

also gwu, fordham and columbia only ask for convictions or arrest

ksmiller83

Postby ksmiller83 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:11 pm

monarchylover wrote:lots of applications especially cali schools only ask for felony convictions....

Do you recall which Cali schools?

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 pm

monarchylover wrote:lots of applications especially cali schools only ask for felony convictions....

Not True.

I just checked my apps because you posted that. I can confirm that USC, UCLA, Stanford and Berkeley all ask about both misdemeanors and felonies.

HTH

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 pm

shoeshine wrote:

Not True.

I just checked my apps because you posted that. I can confirm that USC, UCLA, Stanford and Berkeley all ask about both misdemeanors and felonies convictions.

HTH

corrected

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:51 pm

monarchylover wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Not True.

I just checked my apps because you posted that. I can confirm that USC, UCLA, Stanford and Berkeley all ask about both misdemeanors and felonies convictions.

HTH

Nice correction. They all also ask you to disclose any pending misdemeanors or felonies. Which means the OP should definitely disclose this.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:52 pm

shoeshine wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Not True.

HTH

Nice correction. They all also ask you to disclose any pending misdemeanors or felonies. Which means the OP should definitely disclose this.

OP has a trial date?

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 pm

shoeshine wrote:
monarchylover wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Not True.

HTH

You are correctomundo totally did not read that part of the op!!! OP if you get it dropped then you would be in all clear for questions of conviction or arrest. ie hire a good lawyer

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 am

you have to look carefully at the wording of each application...but if i recall correctly, they basically ask the following questions....

have you ever been arrested? have you ever been charged with a crime? have you ever been convicted of a crime?

i don't know this for certain, and if you're going to consult an attorney about this they should be able to tell you, but i don't believe a citation forces you to answer 'yes' to any of those questions.

that said, safe way is to disclose it. it'll be embarrassing and could possibly cause some schools to overlook you - but people have gotten admitted with worse (myself included)
Last edited by dkt4 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 am

OP, you need to disclose to the forum what you stole. This is your chance to come clean so that we can help you.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:48 am

dkt4 wrote:you have to look carefully at the wording of each application...but if i recall correctly, they basically ask the following questions....

have you ever been arrested? have you ever been charged with a crime? have you ever been convicted of a crime?

i don't know this for certain, and if you're going to consult an attorney about this they should be able to tell you, but i don't believe a citation forces you to answer 'yes' to any of those questions.

that said, safe way is to disclose it. it'll be embarrassing and could possibly cause some schools to overlook you - but people have gotten admitted with worse (myself included)

This is not in asked for cali schools, Fordham, GWU, Columbia and BU. Also some for instance BU only ask for convictions --> http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/apply ... inrev2.pdf

It seems these law schools are the only ones who believe you are innocent until proven guilty and not guilty until proven innocent (like America today)

duke2015

Postby duke2015 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:55 am

Thank you for all the incredibly valuable information!
To your question what were the items, they were 3 very random grocery store items.

I tried to check several applications but I dont have access to them through LSAC yet. I guess it will all have to come down to the wording of the app.

Since I was not arrestet or brought to a police station, nor had cops involved in this, I will have to wait until (or if) something comes in the mail and take it from there.
For now I was issued nothing.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 am

I'm guessing a box of condoms. Typically the most shoplifted item in any store (and why the small boxes are kept behind the counter).

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 am

duke2015 wrote:To your question what were the items, they were 3 very random grocery store items.

Kleptomaniac?

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 am

naterj wrote:
duke2015 wrote:To your question what were the items, they were 3 very random grocery store items.

Kleptomaniac?

I do have to say, not that I have ever done it but if I had cough cough done something like this it would have been at a very dumb age 14-15. Why did you think at your maturity level that this is ok?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”