viable addendum for poor standardized test ability?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beta

viable addendum for poor standardized test ability?

Postby beta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Last edited by beta on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

am060459

Re: viable addendum for poor standardized test ability?

Postby am060459 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 pm

beta wrote:I am applying to a few schools in T14 and a few others. I wanted to write an addendum stating that I am poor standardized test taker with my UGPA and SAT as proof. Thoughts?? Is my SAT low enough and my GPA high enough to make that argument? I'm not taking the LSAT again, and I studied my ass off for it before taking it both times. Advice anyone?

SAT: 1190 UGPA 3.96
LSAT: 154 (panic attack, shoulda canceled),163

poor standardized test taker? how will you survive in law school?

i think you should just make an addendum addressing your second score being a better reflection of your ability. do not mention the SAT and UGPA relationship. it sounds like your making an excuse.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Well, what's the percentile rank for 1190 versus 163? Something similar?

Even with the addendum, I wouldn't expect anything in the T14 barring some kind of extraordinary soft. What other schools are you looking at?

You said the low score the first time was caused by a panic attack. Maybe some kind of stress management, relaxation exercises, etc. would be helpful if you were to take the LSAT again.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Hmm, it's not like you're scoring in the 30th percentile for SAT & LSAT and the 99th percentile for uGPA.

You're scoring close to the 80th and 90th percentiles respectively for the tests. Granted you're stronger on your gpa than your test scores, but I don't see a big enough disparity here.

beta

Postby beta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Im looking at a few schools all over. The only schools in the T14 Im interested in are Berkeley and Umich.

So--consensus is don't write the SAT part?
Last edited by beta on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

beta

Postby beta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:56 pm

yeah youre right there isnt a huge disparity.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:14 pm

beta wrote:Im looking at Vandy, UCLA, USC, and IU Bloomington. The only schools in the T14 Im interested in are Berkeley and Umich.

I don't have any extraordinary softs--Im trilingual, and received a prestigious national fellowship post college, and have a pretty solid resume. Personal statement and diversity statement are well written. We'll see what happens.

Eh, I just wouldn't write an addendum at all. Even with your decent-but-not-spectacular LSAT, you still have an outside shot at uMich, USC, UCLA, Berkeley, and Vandy.

IUB is probably in. If this years cycle follow's last years, it may be a late admittance, but with big cash.

It's not that an addendum would likely hurt you, but I just don't think it would be a value add.

But, jesus, dude... If you could just get your LSAT up a couple more points.... BIG MONEY BIG MONEY

am060459

Postby am060459 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:17 pm

TommyK wrote:
beta wrote:Im looking at Vandy, UCLA, USC, and IU Bloomington. The only schools in the T14 Im interested in are Berkeley and Umich.

I don't have any extraordinary softs--Im trilingual, and received a prestigious national fellowship post college, and have a pretty solid resume. Personal statement and diversity statement are well written. We'll see what happens.

Eh, I just wouldn't write an addendum at all. Even with your decent-but-not-spectacular LSAT, you still have an outside shot at uMich, USC, UCLA, Berkeley, and Vandy.

IUB is probably in. If this years cycle follow's last years, it may be a late admittance, but with big cash.

It's not that an addendum would likely hurt you, but I just don't think it would be a value add.

But, jesus, dude... If you could just get your LSAT up a couple more points.... BIG MONEY BIG MONEY

i thought rule of thumb was if you score more than 5 points higher on your retake, you write an addendum.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:23 pm

am060459 wrote:
TommyK wrote:

i thought rule of thumb was if you score more than 5 points higher on your retake, you write an addendum.

I think the OP could write addendum about the score difference, but I don't think trying to make the argument that he/she is bad at standardized tests is going to get him/her anywhere. There are quite a few people out there who think "bad at standardized tests" is not a real thing.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Adcomms will not care about your SAT score or whether or not you've self-described as "bad at standardized tests". Both are death sentences.
Addendum for the LSAT disparity is a good idea.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:37 pm

not a big enough difference

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I wrote one, and it worked for me. I was top of the class in my major at a school known for grade deflation. I got into schools I would have never gotten into, but maybe a URM could get into. I did write a killer PS too though or so I was told.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:57 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I wrote one, and it worked for me. I was top of the class in my major at a school known for grade deflation. I got into schools I would have never gotten into, but maybe a URM could get into. I did write a killer PS too though or so I was told.

This and a 3.9x GPA can get you in quite a few places. However, it's rare to actually have a PS that good.

OP: You should ED to Michigan if you really, really want to go there. You should also consider EDing to UVA. (Because they accept ED apps so late, you could wait to hear back from Mich, and then ED to UVA if Mich rejects you.) I know UVA wasn't on your list, but if you're interested in T14 then that's where it's at.

beta

Postby beta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:43 pm

thanks for the suggestions guys.
i know berkeley has stated to provide evidence that you do poorly on standardized tests. has anyone had experience/success with this??
Last edited by beta on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I wrote one, and it worked for me. I was top of the class in my major at a school known for grade deflation. I got into schools I would have never gotten into, but maybe a URM could get into. I did write a killer PS too though or so I was told.

This and a 3.9x GPA can get you in quite a few places. However, it's rare to actually have a PS that good.

OP: You should ED to Michigan if you really, really want to go there. You should also consider EDing to UVA. (Because they accept ED apps so late, you could wait to hear back from Mich, and then ED to UVA if Mich rejects you.) I know UVA wasn't on your list, but if you're interested in T14 then that's where it's at.

My PS was fairly simple, and I actually didn't think it was good. I got handwritten notes from some deans saying it was one of the best. So, who knows!

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Why on earth would you draw attention to a mediocre LSAT by announcing you are bad at standardized tests, or that you had a panic attack?

If you had a panic attack on the LSAT just wait until your torts exam. The bar exam isn't going to be a cakewalk either. If you are bad at testing and prone to panic attacks you might want to look into a career that doesn't require stressful tests to move onto every level.

beta

Postby beta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 pm

MrAnon wrote:Why on earth would you draw attention to a mediocre LSAT by announcing you are bad at standardized tests, or that you had a panic attack?

If you had a panic attack on the LSAT just wait until your torts exam. The bar exam isn't going to be a cakewalk either. If you are bad at testing and prone to panic attacks you might want to look into a career that doesn't require stressful tests to move onto every level.

yes. obviously. i never said i was going to talk abt my panic attack on the addendum. the lsat was the first time i've ever had one--im not prone to anxiety attacks.

either way, i think the bar and any content exams are different than taking the LSAT.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:40 pm

It doesn't matter whether you are prone to them or not. You had one. Wait until you are in a convention center with 50 proctors and 2,000 people taking the bar. It may not be a standardized test but it sure will feel like one.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:38 am

if they are reach schools with the LSAT you have anyway, might as well take a shot at explaining your standardized testing problems.

i'd imagine berkeley is as reasonable as chance for you as anywhere in the t14, given their relatively low LSAT median and love of GPAs/explanations/personality.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:32 pm

writing a poor test taking addendum won't really help you anyways

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Write an addendum and explain to them that a 163 for a poor standardized test-taker is really equivalent to a 175 by an average standardized test-taker. Enjoy HYS.

But seriously, when did this society get to the point where if you're bad at something you can just say you aren't good at it and get a pass? If you want to get into T14 schools, muster up some T14 numbers. Retake the LSAT.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:23 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Write an addendum and explain to them that a 163 for a poor standardized test-taker is really equivalent to a 175 by an average standardized test-taker. Enjoy HYS.

But seriously, when did this society get to the point where if you're bad at something you can just say you aren't good at it and get a pass? If you want to get into T14 schools, muster up some T14 numbers. Retake the LSAT.

It is puzzling. Does this mean that the original poster should be vaulted above applicants with identical numbers who did not identify themselves as poor test takers?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”