Re-apply same cycle as rejected?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msuz

Re-apply same cycle as rejected?

Postby msuz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:20 pm

I couldn't find this in a search, so sorry if its been answered before.

I am taking the LSAT Oct 1, and could retake in December if I wanted; I've had only 2 months to study and if I think I can get a higher score, I will probably retake. The problem is that I could end up with an score somewhere b/w 165-169 that COULD get me into my target schools but that doesn't guarantee that I do.

If I apply in Oct/Nov and am rejected from a school, can I retake in December and apply for the same cycle, or must I wait a year?

booboo

Re: Re-apply same cycle as rejected?

Postby booboo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:23 pm

You can ask the school to withhold judgment on your application until your exam retake.

msuz

Postby msuz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:25 pm

booboo wrote:You can ask the school to withhold judgment on your application until your exam retake.

But can I be "judged" (Denied) and then reapply to the same school during that same cycle?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:26 pm

msuz wrote:
booboo wrote:You can ask the school to withhold judgment on your application until your exam retake.

But can I be "judged" (Denied) and then reapply to the same school during that same cycle?

You can't reapply like you're an entirely new person, but you MIGHT be able to ask them to reconsider your rejection. I've heard of this happening, like, once.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
msuz wrote:

You can't reapply like you're an entirely new person, but you MIGHT be able to ask them to reconsider your rejection. I've heard of this happening, like, once.

TCR.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 pm

i think i am guilty of posting a 99% similar thread.
My motive is that it would be great to not have to retake the LSAT, or go into the LSAT knowing you have a safety school. The downside it appears would be having to wait another year because you can only apply once per cycle even if you stats significantly change. Is the downside the reality?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Schools will be able to see that you're signed up for the test in December. Because of that, they won't make a decision on your application until they receive that score.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:51 pm

fyi i had a 158, had applied to fordham pt as a long shot and retook in june, and scored a 167

Fordham called me that day and asked if i wanted to resubmit my application for the same cycle

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Schools will be able to see that you're signed up for the test in December. Because of that, they won't make a decision on your application until they receive that score.

Not necessarily without you asking them to. If you're planning on taking and submitting December and don't want to be considered until then, definitely mention it to the schools instead of assuming they'll figure it out on their own.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”