Research and Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drobe24

Research and Law School

Postby drobe24 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm

164/3.7

I am retaking the LSAT in October because the lowest score I ever got on a practice LSAT was a 166, but I averaged around a 172 (under Princeton Review timed conditions).

However, I am a biology major and have worked in a marine biology lab, doing substantial microbiology research for 3 years. I designed microsatellite primers for a species of fish and was published as 2nd author on the peer-reviewed paper. I am currently working on the population genetics of this species, and will be sending out a draft of the results for peer review in December - I hope to be listed as a 1st author on it.

I have a philosophy minor and will be getting a LOR from a previous professor just to show that I'm not completely inept at writing.

Should this be a substantial plus in applying? Or should I focus on schools in which the Law School Predictor says I should be looking at? It's hard to tell how they will factor this research in, but I know it will be the topic of my personal statement (I'm interested in environmental law).

shoeshine

Re: Research and Law School

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:45 pm

drobe24 wrote:164/3.7

I am retaking the LSAT in October because the lowest score I ever got on a practice LSAT was a 166, but I averaged around a 172 (under Princeton Review timed conditions).

However, I am a biology major and have worked in a marine biology lab, doing substantial microbiology research for 3 years. I designed microsatellite primers for a species of fish and was published as 2nd author on the peer-reviewed paper. I am currently working on the population genetics of this species, and will be sending out a draft of the results for peer review in December - I hope to be listed as a 1st author on it.

I have a philosophy minor and will be getting a LOR from a previous professor just to show that I'm not completely inept at writing.

Should this be a substantial plus in applying? Or should I focus on schools in which the Law School Predictor says I should be looking at? It's hard to tell how they will factor this research in, but I know it will be the topic of my personal statement (I'm interested in environmental law).

This would be a huge plus if you were applying to med school but law school is different.

It is all really based off the lsat/gpa numbers. Your research is considered a soft. A soft can put you over the edge at a school where your numbers are already in the range but it will not get you into a school that your numbers are out of range for. HTH

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:50 pm

What shoeshine said.

With your current #s you *should* be able to pull some of GW/BU/BC/Fordham/Notre Dame. If you get up to 167+ you should be good for T14-18.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Are you also applying to medical school ?

drobe24

Postby drobe24 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm

shoeshine wrote:
drobe24 wrote:164/3.7

This would be a huge plus if you were applying to med school but law school is different.

It is all really based off the lsat/gpa numbers. Your research is considered a soft. A soft can put you over the edge at a school where your numbers are already in the range but it will not get you into a school that your numbers are out of range for. HTH

Thanks. Yea, I originally wanted to go to med school - until I shadowed doctors and realized it wasn't for me.
At the very least, it will give me a solid topic for my essay and will show that I am a hard worker. Maybe it will help me stand out from the rest of the pack. I'd love to go to Northwestern. I'd probably ED if my LSAT doesn't significantly raise.

drobe24

Postby drobe24 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you also applying to medical school ?

Not planning on it.
My sister is in med school and it doesn't seem like the route for me...

drobe24

Postby drobe24 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:24 pm

drobe24 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Are you also applying to medical school ?

Not planning on it.
My sister is in med school and it doesn't seem like the route for me...

I majored in Biology because I genuinely like it - not for its placement in a particular type of graduate school.

picklebarrel

Postby picklebarrel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Don't rely on law school predictor. Apply to every school you think you have a reasonable shot at and even some schools that you think are definitely out of your range. You have solid numbers. Just write a good personal statement that conveys why you want to go to law school (and include your experience with the research project, just make sure the statement doesn't stray from the "why I want to go to law school" message).

Law school predictor is a fun little tool that can be helpful, but if I took it too seriously I wouldn't be at the school I'm at now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”