LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby KremeCheez » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:12 am

A brief background:
My college roommate's dad is a partner at O'Melveny in LA. He is frequently "news-worthy" and his name would be instantaneously recognized by any AdComm.
During UG I had fairly regular contact with him, whether going out to group dinners, playing golf, or watching his son's competitions. He seemed to like me well enough, although his stoic demeanor made it tough to tell.
I graduated UG over 7 years ago, and have only seen/spoken to him once since.
Furthermore, I have only (1) UG professor that I would expect to remember me and my academic aptitude after 7 years and thus write me a legit LoR.
I do not have any LoR candidates from my professional life that I feel would be a positive in my application package.

My questions:
1) Would a LoR from someone like this be a significant "plus" relative to generic LoRs from UG professors who "might" remember me and/or from my current boss(es) who, while would certainly wholeheartedly "recommend" me, aren't anything special.
2) Would you anticipate someone like this would be willing to write a LoR for me, despite the fact that we don't have ongoing communication and he is only familiar with me personally (not scholastically)?
3) If nothing else - he'd probably have his secretary put together something generic for me...would this end up being counter-productive?

HITeacher2
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby HITeacher2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:14 am

Do you even know what a LoR is? What possible basis would have have to recommend you?

User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby KremeCheez » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:23 am

HITeacher2 wrote:Do you even know what a LoR is? What possible basis would have have to recommend you?


He, at a minimum, knows I was academically successful and we certainly had enough conversation to make a judgment on my general demeanor and ability to speak in a reasonably articulate manner. He appreciated my support of his son in his endeavors...

I guess it would really come down to a personal favor and a question of "why not"?

psm11
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby psm11 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:29 am

KremeCheez wrote:A brief background:
My college roommate's dad is a partner at O'Melveny in LA. He is frequently "news-worthy" and his name would be instantaneously recognized by any AdComm.
During UG I had fairly regular contact with him, whether going out to group dinners, playing golf, or watching his son's competitions. He seemed to like me well enough, although his stoic demeanor made it tough to tell.
I graduated UG over 7 years ago, and have only seen/spoken to him once since.
Furthermore, I have only (1) UG professor that I would expect to remember me and my academic aptitude after 7 years and thus write me a legit LoR.
I do not have any LoR candidates from my professional life that I feel would be a positive in my application package.

My questions:
1) Would a LoR from someone like this be a significant "plus" relative to generic LoRs from UG professors who "might" remember me and/or from my current boss(es) who, while would certainly wholeheartedly "recommend" me, aren't anything special.
2) Would you anticipate someone like this would be willing to write a LoR for me, despite the fact that we don't have ongoing communication and he is only familiar with me personally (not scholastically)?
3) If nothing else - he'd probably have his secretary put together something generic for me...would this end up being counter-productive?



I think he would. All of my LORs came from attorneys and judges that I was acquaintances with but didn't interact with on a regular basis. Most of them just had me make an outline of my strengths, academic record, extracurricular, and etc. The would use that as a template and then fill in the rest with, to be quite honest, made up stories to sound like they had a lot of interaction with me. Most of them are very busy and, like you said, probably had their secretary do it.

094320
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby 094320 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:46 am

..

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby sarahh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:27 am

The name of the LOR writer matters much less than what they say about you. It should be from someone who knows you in an academic or professional capacity. Since you have been working for seven years, schools may wonder why you don't have a letter from someone you worked with. I think no professional letter is worse than an average professional letter. If you can't get a supervisor to write it, is there anyone else you work with/have worked with you can get one from?

User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby KremeCheez » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks for the input. While I'm sure I can get LoRs from my boss(es) - I worry that their poor writing skills would reflect poorly on me. Would it be acceptable to ask someone in middle management (a virtual hierarchical pier) to write a recommendation rather than one of my true bosses?
Am I over thinking this?

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10391
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 am

KremeCheez wrote:Thanks for the input. While I'm sure I can get LoRs from my boss(es) - I worry that their poor writing skills would reflect poorly on me. Would it be acceptable to ask someone in middle management (a virtual hierarchical pier) to write a recommendation rather than one of my true bosses?
Am I over thinking this?


You want people who have been in the position to evaluate your work product. A peer recommendation is a little dicey, and if there are any professors with whom you worked closely, try to find one to write a letter.

but the short answer is yes, you're overthinking it. LoRs, like everything else that isn't LSAT/GPA, is a small piece of the pie.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby sarahh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:56 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Thanks for the input. While I'm sure I can get LoRs from my boss(es) - I worry that their poor writing skills would reflect poorly on me. Would it be acceptable to ask someone in middle management (a virtual hierarchical pier) to write a recommendation rather than one of my true bosses?
Am I over thinking this?

I think a LOR from a supervisor is better if you can get it. I don't see why their poor writing skills is a reflection on you. But if you feel like the LOR will be riddled with errors, and they know they have poor writing, you can offer to edit it.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: LoR from BigLaw Superstar?

Postby Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:12 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Thanks for the input. While I'm sure I can get LoRs from my boss(es) - I worry that their poor writing skills would reflect poorly on me. Would it be acceptable to ask someone in middle management (a virtual hierarchical pier) to write a recommendation rather than one of my true bosses?
Am I over thinking this?

Do you work at a shipyard? :wink:

Yes, you're overthinking it. Get the letter from the person that knows your work the best and can speak to it most favorably. Surely their writing skills aren't so poor that they can't communicate how pleased they are with your work.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests