LOR from a parent?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
psach44

LOR from a parent?

Postby psach44 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:46 pm

If I worked extensively in a family business, would the law schools wants to see a LOR from a parent (ie my father?)

Also- I am planning on applying to either U of P or NYU?Columbia early. I am pending my October LSAT score. What should be done NOW? (ie PS, LOR etc like asap)

What should be my calandar plan?

KMaine

Re: LOR from a parent?

Postby KMaine » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Sounds mildly risky. Does the business have any clients who would be familiar with your work?

chem

Postby chem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm

psach44 wrote:If I worked extensively in a family business, would the law schools wants to see a LOR from a parent (ie my father?)

Also- I am planning on applying to either U of P or NYU?Columbia early. I am pending my October LSAT score. What should be done NOW? (ie PS, LOR etc like asap)

What should be my calandar plan?

Absolutely not. They only want to see it from an employer if you've been out of undergrad for a loong time, and even then they prefer academic LOR to supplement. Just stick with ones from professors

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Academic LORs are more important unless you're applying to Northwestern so no.

You can do everything except your LSAT now.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Sounds a little more than mildly risky to me.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Sounds like a bad idea to me. It won't get you anywhere for sure. It may even raise some eyebrows about your judgement.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:11 pm

KMaine wrote:Sounds mildly risky stupid. Does the business have any clients who would be familiar with your work?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Lol, no. Bad call.

Donnis

Postby Donnis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:14 pm

You should know that is a no-no from applying to undergrad. Bad idea.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:40 am

What about one from my grandma?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:43 am

KremeCheez wrote:What about one from my grandma?

Derp.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:44 am

if you worked at a family business you need to get a non family member to write one. IF you cant do that- get a longtime client to write one on your behalf. I dont think schools will accept a recommendation from a family member.

roofles

Postby roofles » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 am

Most, if not all, of the schools I applied to specifically noted that LOR from family members were prohibited. Just stick to the usual mix of former employers and college professors to be safe. To answer your other question, learn from my mistakes and get your LOR(s) organized as soon as possible. I had two people who agreed to write a LOR string me along saying that they would (who formerly told me that they would write a great LOR if asked) and ultimately missed the deadline.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:25 am

naterj wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:What about one from my grandma?

Derp.

...because I certainly wasn't being sarcastic.

pichu

Postby pichu » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:30 am

I heard taxguy wrote a LOR for his son

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:31 am

Are you an idiot? Because you'll look like one if you turn in an LOR from a family member.

psach44

Postby psach44 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:26 am

ok--- and regarding my schedule. which parts of the application process are the most time consuming that I should make it my agenda to be involved with now (ie August)?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:53 am

psach44 wrote:ok--- and regarding my schedule. which parts of the application process are the most time consuming that I should make it my agenda to be involved with now (ie August)?

It's really not that time-consuming. Just do all of it now. I suppose your PS if you have writer's block and such.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:54 am

--ImageRemoved--

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

notsureifserious.jpg

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:32 pm

About the LOR. NO. Do NOT use your parent as a recommender.

psach44 wrote:ok--- and regarding my schedule. which parts of the application process are the most time consuming that I should make it my agenda to be involved with now (ie August)?

LORs, personal statements, transcript- start now

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:01 pm

What about a LOR from your preschooler if you're a non-traditional applicant?

psach44

Postby psach44 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:24 am

thank you to all the wise guys who have decided to make a complete mockery out of the question. we shall see who gets the last laugh come the next cycle of acceptances.

either way-

if i have been working at a family business for the past three years and there will be detailing of this on my resume, and as ive been so excellently advised i cannot have an LOR from my father...wont this look like a whole in my application that my employer hasnt recommended me? should i state that it is a family business?

insights (nice ones at that) wanted...

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 am

Yes, state it is a family business. Also, law schools prefer recommendations from your professors anyway.

Are there other people at your office who supervised you other than family members?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:31 am

psach44 wrote:thank you to all the wise guys who have decided to make a complete mockery out of the question. we shall see who gets the last laugh come the next cycle of acceptances.

either way-

if i have been working at a family business for the past three years and there will be detailing of this on my resume, and as ive been so excellently advised i cannot have an LOR from my father...wont this look like a whole in my application that my employer hasnt recommended me? should i state that it is a family business?

insights (nice ones at that) wanted...

If you would read the Frequently Asked Questions thread stickied at the top of this forum, you would see this:

Should I use non-academic references?
This is going to be school-dependant and something you might consider asking individual schools about. If you don't want to call, scour for Dean interviews. For example, this response from Yale:
"Academic references are going to carry the most weight. Period. Particularly if you have a weaker part of your application, you really need to have phenomenal academic references who are willing to vouch for your performance as a student. If you’ve been out of school for a few years, I would suggest going back to your college professors and seeing if anyone would be willing to write one for you. If you think you’re going to be out of school for a while before you apply to law school, then plan ahead and get some professors to write you letters of recommendations now and place them on file with your undergraduate institution or set up an LSDAS account and let LSAC store them for you for up to five years.

I think only as a last resort -- you’ve been out of school for 10 years, none of your college professors remember you, etc. -- only then should you seek out employer recommendations that will speak to the kinds of things that an academic reference will. So, you’d want your employer to address writing and analytical skill, your intellectual curiosity, etc. Obviously, the closer they can be to the legal field, the better it will be for you. So if you’ve been a paralegal in a law office or worked for a judge, then that might be helpful, again, as a last resort."--Dean Asha from AdmissionsDean --LinkRemoved-- ... a-rangappa

And if you read my post upthread you would see this:

acrossthelake wrote:Academic LORs are more important unless you're applying to Northwestern so no.

Unless you're concerned about Northwestern, and if you are, come back to specify, law schools don't even care for an employer LOR in the first place unless you're desperate. Get 2 professors and be done with it.

If it is Northwestern, you're in a rough spot, because nobody is going to take a recommendation from a family member seriously. In this case, you're going to want to call and ask because it's a rare situation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”