OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:00 pm

NYC Law wrote:Marketing and Management classes were easier than most Psych classes. But there's no way Accounting and Finance should be that low on the list.

There is also no way accounting and finance are harder than econ, coming from someone who's taken multiple classes in all of those subjects.

spek
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby spek » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Marketing and Management classes were easier than most Psych classes. But there's no way Accounting and Finance should be that low on the list.

There is also no way accounting and finance are harder than econ, coming from someone who's taken multiple classes in all of those subjects.


+1

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Philosophy / Political Theory / Religion > > > Anything

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dkt4 wrote:those who went to college at their local elementary study grammar.


Didn't they teach you to capitalize shit at the august institution at which you paid good money to learn what is supposed to be a spontaneous, natural ability on account of it being your mother tongue?

Blessedassurance is Blessedlystupid.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Marketing and Management classes were easier than most Psych classes. But there's no way Accounting and Finance should be that low on the list.

There is also no way accounting and finance are harder than econ, coming from someone who's taken multiple classes in all of those subjects.


Yeah you may be right, I only took introductory Micro/Macro.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:31 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Marketing and Management classes were easier than most Psych classes. But there's no way Accounting and Finance should be that low on the list.

There is also no way accounting and finance are harder than econ, coming from someone who's taken multiple classes in all of those subjects.


Yeah you may be right, I only took introductory Micro/Macro.

The thing about econ (in my experience) is the introductory classes are fine. But the upper level classes often become math heavy. And since i'm about as calculus illiterate as any person I know who takes upper level econ classes, I have had a hard time with them. Whereas I found finance and accounting to be much more dependent on just how much time I spent studying.

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Ginj » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Cupidity wrote:Philosophy / Political Theory / Religion > > > Anything


YES.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby NZA » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Ginj wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Philosophy / Political Theory / Religion > > > Anything


YES.

Pretty much. I'd make this edit, however.

Philosophy is the only system that is capable of recursive dialogue with itself. All forms of knowledge we have today are essentially philosophy's bastard children.

I like to imagine Philosophy as Zeus: all other sciences and fields rise when He enters the room, and ought to address him as Father, King of the Gods.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Marketing and Management classes were easier than most Psych classes. But there's no way Accounting and Finance should be that low on the list.

There is also no way accounting and finance are harder than econ, coming from someone who's taken multiple classes in all of those subjects.


Yeah you may be right, I only took introductory Micro/Macro.

The thing about econ (in my experience) is the introductory classes are fine. But the upper level classes often become math heavy. And since i'm about as calculus illiterate as any person I know who takes upper level econ classes, I have had a hard time with them. Whereas I found finance and accounting to be much more dependent on just how much time I spent studying.

Granted, I only took a couple upper-level classes in Econ and one in Finance, but I agree.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby chem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:47 pm

NZA wrote:
Ginj wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Philosophy / Political Theory / Religion > > > Anything


YES.

Pretty much. I'd make this edit, however.

Philosophy is the only system that is capable of recursive dialogue with itself. All forms of knowledge we have today are essentially philosophy's bastard children.

I like to imagine Philosophy as Zeus: all other sciences and fields rise when He enters the room, and ought to address him as Father, King of the Gods.


LOL! Obviously not familiar with the scientific method, which could basically be the definition of recursive

UML
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby UML » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:31 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Name some useful things the study of English as a major entails.

I was an English major. I didn’t go to college to learn a trade or a skill like engineering or accounting. I went to college because I wanted an opportunity to think things for myself and I found that studying English literature was a great vehicle to do that.

One (trite) complaint against English classes is that because there’re “no right answers” one can merely “say anything” and be credited. But any self-respecting professor who’s part of a decent department isn’t going to give you an A+ for turning in just anything. And regardless, an English class can be as hard as you make it. If you’re lazy but have a little talent perhaps you can get by bullshiting. But if you’re motivated to develop your mind there’s no better way to work your mental muscles than by wrestling with great books and great ideas.

In the hard sciences it’s the professor’s responsibility to challenge the students. In an English program the onus is sometimes on the student. But there’s nothing wrong with this. I’ve met many science-minded people who deride the humanities, but their arguments are always fallacious and usually stem from (1) frustration caused by ignorance, (2) frustration caused by prior failure, or (3) frustration caused by lack of talent.

You seem to be suffering from number one. Some useful things that the study of English entail are logic, rhetoric, and grammar. None of these arts are simple and to declare them so only reveals something about you yourself. An idea can always be refined, an argument can always be tighter, and a paper can always be written better.

Blessedassurance wrote:Ha, don't get me wrong, I love English. It's simply useless. You improve simply by reading.

Sure, you can improve by reading. But the same can be said for every other subject. You can pick up a book on nursing, or economics, or mathematics, or engineering and teach it to yourself. This quibble has nothing to do with the study of English specifically.
Last edited by UML on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby chem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:36 pm

UML wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Name some useful things the study of English as a major entails.

I was an English major. I didn’t go to college to learn a trade or a skill like engineering or accounting. I went to college because I wanted an opportunity to think things for myself and I found that studying English literature was a great vehicle to do that.

One (trite) complaint against English classes is that because there’re “no right answers” one can merely “say anything” and be credited. But any self-respecting professor who’s part of a decent department isn’t going to give you an A+ for turning in just anything. And regardless, an English class can be as hard as you make it. If you’re lazy but have a little talent perhaps you can get by bullshiting. But if you’re motivated to develop your mind there’s no better way to work your mental muscles than by wrestling with great books and great ideas.

In the hard sciences it’s the professor’s responsibility to challenge the students. In an English program the onus is sometimes on the student. But there’s nothing wrong with this. I’ve met many science-minded people who deride the humanities, but their arguments are always fallacious and usually stem from (1) frustration caused by ignorance, (2) frustration caused by prior failure, (3) frustration caused by lack of talent.

You seem to be suffering from number one. Some useful things that the study of English entails are logic, rhetoric, and grammar. None of these arts are simple and to declare them so only reveals something about you yourself. An idea can always be refined, an argument can always be tighter, and a paper can always be written better.
Blessedassurance wrote:Ha, don't get me wrong, I love English. It's simply useless. You improve simply by reading.

Sure, you can improve by reading. But the same can be said for every other subject. You can pick up a book on nursing, or economics, or mathematics, or engineering and teach it to yourself. This quibble has nothing to do with the study of English specifically.


+1. But as an aforementioned science major, I'd have to say some derision we cast on English majors is due to perceiving them as snobbish hipsters

acapulco980
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 am

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby acapulco980 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm

The most difficult major is going to a school that doesn't leave you with lifelong debt.

On a side note, is Physics or Engineering intrinsically harder than any other study or is it just because the way it's taught? Most people in these majors want jobs so making the classes meritocratic seems necessary to flunk out people who would fail to increase corporate profits.

p.s. economics and mathematical models? lol it's still voodoo nonetheless.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

NZA wrote:
Ginj wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Philosophy / Political Theory / Religion > > > Anything


YES.

Pretty much. I'd make this edit, however.

Philosophy is the only system that is capable of recursive dialogue with itself. All forms of knowledge we have today are essentially philosophy's bastard children.

I like to imagine Philosophy as Zeus: all other sciences and fields rise when He enters the room, and ought to address him as Father, King of the Gods.


Hey, just because I spent all my time reading Augustine and Plato instead of Derida doesn't mean I deserve a strike-out.

UML
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby UML » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:45 pm

chem wrote:+1. But as an aforementioned science major, I'd have to say some derision we cast on English majors is due to perceiving them as snobbish hipsters

Really? I don't see it.





--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Horrific biology and english trolling.

Also, philosophy and polisci?

User avatar
Odd Future Wolf Gang
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:49 pm

What about BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION bros?

acapulco980
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 am

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby acapulco980 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:What about BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION bros?



i heard thats how u get a job at goldman saks

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby chem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:52 pm

acapulco980 wrote:The most difficult major is going to a school that doesn't leave you with lifelong debt.

On a side note, is Physics or Engineering intrinsically harder than any other study or is it just because the way it's taught? Most people in these majors want jobs so making the classes meritocratic seems necessary to flunk out people who would fail to increase corporate profits.

p.s. economics and mathematical models? lol it's still voodoo nonetheless.


Some parts are intrinsically harder because established facts and ways of thinking fly in the face of logic, common sense, and conceptual reasoning. It takes years of instense study just to be able to comprehend quantum mechanics, let alone understand implications. Another example would be mass transfer, ie diffusion. Everything is empirically found there, so to solve a problem you have to know how to fudge all of the equations appropriately. the final example to show that engineering concepts may be intrinsically harder is the increasing complexity of dynamic systems. Econ majors could attest to the fact that as more factors come into play, and influence eachother, the harder it is to determine outcomes. I know that in my field of chemcial engineering you have upwards of 30 components in a stream, and they react with eacother, changing temp, pressure, other reactions, which all in tern affect other reactions, and so on. Hard to model, let alone design for

User avatar
Odd Future Wolf Gang
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:01 pm

EXPLAIN to me: "doing research" in philosophy. Or "doing good work" in English.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:EXPLAIN to me: "doing research" in philosophy. Or "doing good work" in English.

Philosophy research is a lot like legal research, there are hundreds of articles on most aspects of any major work. Analysis of scholarly debate is essentially what law review is all about.

User avatar
Odd Future Wolf Gang
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:07 pm

So it's just reading about what some other guy read about?

acapulco980
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 am

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby acapulco980 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:So it's just reading about what some other guy read about?


Yeah that seems right. The professionalization of philosophy is surely the death of it creating anything anyone will care about. This coming from a philosophy major.

Also, Plato and Aristotle would of considered it sophistry to charge fees for education.

User avatar
albusdumbledore
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby albusdumbledore » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:14 pm

acapulco980 wrote:
Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:So it's just reading about what some other guy read about?


Yeah that seems right. The professionalization of philosophy is surely the death of it creating anything anyone will care about. This coming from a philosophy major.

Nah, that's not true. People don't care about philosophy because they have no idea what it is, nor do most people have the wherewithal to understand it. This coming from a philosophy major.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby chem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:18 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
acapulco980 wrote:
Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:So it's just reading about what some other guy read about?


Yeah that seems right. The professionalization of philosophy is surely the death of it creating anything anyone will care about. This coming from a philosophy major.

Nah, that's not true. People don't care about philosophy because they have no idea what it is, nor do most people have the wherewithal to understand it. This coming from a philosophy major.


I enjoy philosophy, but I haven't studied it in a college environment. My questions would be to you what the goal of philosophical scholarship is, and if indeed the onus for education falls primarily on the students in these sorts of fields, why pay northwards of 30 grand a year when you could educate yourself by wrestling with the ideas? The privilege of debating it in an academic environment?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AriGold33, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], chili_davis, incognito_mode13 and 4 guests