OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tyro

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Postby tyro » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:05 am

Blessedassurance wrote:Arguing that one's subjective interpretation of Cthulhu should be taken as gospel and the fact that a ghost in the story by a drunken vagabond deriving his muse from a bottle of bourbon is not really a ghost?

Have you read Sticks by Karl Edward Wagner? A lot of the Cthulhu Mythos stuff seemed kind of blah to me but this one really got me.

IamJosh

Postby IamJosh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:08 am

See, the thing is, argumentation is not about being right. It's making a strong case that you are. If I decide the Cat in the Hat is representative of Jesus, I'd have to make a case. You learn to do that.

Anyone who majors in English to get a job is dumb. I really enjoy literature. I tell my friends I'm going to be a well educated homeless person. Value is arbitrary. To me, it is fulfilling. To others, it's worthless. I accept that completely.

The bottom line for English is that anybody who can read can get the degree. But, while not as hard as MANY other majors, a 4.0 as an English major is tough at a good school. A lot is expected of you. But I will always believe that there are valuable skills taught.

This thread should be about what UG's will get you some leniency from adcomms, anyway. BME's at unranked schools probably had an easier time than social science majors at Ivies.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 am

tyro wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Arguing that one's subjective interpretation of Cthulhu should be taken as gospel and the fact that a ghost in the story by a drunken vagabond deriving his muse from a bottle of bourbon is not really a ghost?

Have you read Sticks by Karl Edward Wagner? A lot of the Cthulhu Mythos stuff seemed kind of blah to me but this one really got me.

No I haven't but I will check it out.

Have you seen the movie "Invasion of the Body-Snatchers"? Some interpretations consider it an allegory of McCarthyism (together with The Crucible, which is a different matter). I did a research on 1950's communism in America and found out Jack Finney didn't even intend "The Invasion..." as the allegory it's made out to be by many scholars. I mean people consider Lovecraft a racist based on some of his works, others disagree. You study all this stuff and at the end of the day you realize it's all muddled in subjective opinions.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:36 am

IamJosh wrote:See, the thing is, argumentation is not about being right. It's making a strong case that you are. If I decide the Cat in the Hat is representative of Jesus, I'd have to make a case. You learn to do that.

Anyone who majors in English to get a job is dumb. I really enjoy literature. I tell my friends I'm going to be a well educated homeless person. Value is arbitrary. To me, it is fulfilling. To others, it's worthless. I accept that completely.

The bottom line for English is that anybody who can read can get the degree. But, while not as hard as MANY other majors, a 4.0 as an English major is tough at a good school. A lot is expected of you. But I will always believe that there are valuable skills taught.

This thread should be about what UG's will get you some leniency from adcomms, anyway. BME's at unranked schools probably had an easier time than social science majors at Ivies.

I don't think determining the leniency one gets from adcomms by virtue of one's major is particularly fruitful. Most argue one's GPA is all that matters. Others argue otherwise. The answer probably lies somewhere in-between in that, a relatively more difficult major can be a tie-breaker, in the unlikely event that all other things are equal. All other things are seldom equal though. I can't imagine two candidates being alike in all respects save their majors.

I mean if we consider relative difficulty of major, we'd have to consider the fact that studying sequential logic as part of philosophy gives one an undue advantage in the LSAT and so on and so forth. Then we'd have to consider the relative prestige of one's undergrad and then grade-inflation or deflation and so on and so forth.

You can argue about leniency but a 3.0 in Nuclear physics is not going to beat a 3.8 in Communications. The whole purpose of the LSAT is to serve as an equalizer but even that is somewhat arbitrary. USNWR doesn't really care about difficulty of majors. There are plenty of people who can ace a math test but find English difficult. Who decides difficulty? Is Hemingway smarter than Mozart? Is Voltaire smarter than Curie? How about Friedman versus Poe?

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
tyro wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Invasion of the Body-Snatchers"? Some interpretations consider it an allegory of McCarthyism (together with The Crucible, which is a different matter). I did a research on 1950's communism in America and found out Jack Finney didn't even intend "The Invasion..." as the allegory it's made out to be by many scholars. I mean people consider Lovecraft a racist based on some of his works, others disagree. You study all this stuff and at the end of the day you realize it's all muddled in subjective opinions.

Yeah we watched the original in a class. The only thing I can recall is that I enjoyed it for what it was and didn't take much of an interest in the deep interpretations of the film. Anyway, another short story that I remember liking during my brief study in horror fiction is I Am the Doorway by Stephen King.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:45 am

tyro wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
tyro wrote:

Yeah we watched the original in a class. The only thing I can recall is that I enjoyed it for what it was and didn't take much of an interest in the deep interpretations of the film. Anyway, another short story that I remember liking during my brief study in horror fiction is I Am the Doorway by Stephen King.

I actually took a class in supernatural fiction. Have you read Poe's "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar"?, Stevenson's "The Body-Snatchers", "The Signalman" by Dickens, Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" and E.T.A Hoffmann's "The Sandman"? Great, great stories.
Makes you almost wanna major in English.

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 am

Blessedassurance wrote:I actually took a class in supernatural fiction. Have you read Poe's "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar"?, Stevenson's "The Body-Snatchers", "The Signalman" by Dickens, Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" and E.T.A Hoffmann's "The Sandman"? Great, great stories.

A long, long time ago yes. I don't think I've read "The Signalman" though so I may have to check it out!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:51 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
I actually took a class in supernatural fiction. Have you read Poe's "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar"?, Stevenson's "The Body-Snatchers", "The Signalman" by Dickens, Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" and E.T.A Hoffmann's "The Sandman"? Great, great stories.

Full of win.

Man, did anyone else have an undergraduate university that completely lied about their own grades being seen as different than others? I feel gipped. A friend of mine who went to Hopkins said the same thing when it came time for him to apply to medical school. Basically, go to Harvard, get As throughout with little work, and profit seems to be the name of the game.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:08 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Full of win.

Man, did anyone else have an undergraduate university that completely lied about their own grades being seen as different than others? I feel gipped. A friend of mine who went to Hopkins said the same thing when it came time for him to apply to medical school. Basically, go to Harvard, get As throughout with little work, and profit seems to be the name of the game.

the bolded would be good advice for top undergrad schools- as it is, its a bit too late for the majority of posters here.

abl

Postby abl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 am

This all very much depends on where you go to school. Accounting isn't offered by most of the "best" schools, and is therefore often looked down on by many graduates of those schools (as an undergrad major at least). That said, as some posters have pointed out, being an accounting major at Western KY or whatever is prob going to impress adcoms marginally more than being a philosophy major at that school.

As a general rule it's probably true that many of the "hard sciences" are harder than most other classes at your average school, but this is all somewhat silly. If you don't go to one of the very small handful of schools that'll give you an admissions bump, what you major in isn't going to make much of a difference except on the extremes. An English major with a 3.8 at Western KY is going to do just as well as a philosophy or finance or linguistics or whatever major at Western KY. Maybe that student will do marginally worse than a chemical engineer at Western KY and maybe that student will do marginally better than an advertising major at Western KY, but I think that you will all find that most law schools get far too many applicants to make these sort of fine distinctions.

*Incidentally, at my undergrad Art History was considered one of the hardest majors and Econ/Finance as well as PSCI were among the easiest.

richie222

Postby richie222 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:34 am

as someone who majored is Psychology from a school that is known for its psych program, i can absolutely tell you there is no way psych is the 13 th hardest major. more like 9013

1988AndX

Postby 1988AndX » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:36 am

Economics is definitely in the top 5 (at least at top UGs w/o undergraduate business programs).

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:38 am

i would have to say that education is not the second easiest major.

its only slightly more difficult than Kindergarten ( and thats because they dont allocate in class time for cookies, a nap, and show and tell)

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 am

Accounting is way too low, so is finance.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 am

abl wrote:This all very much depends on where you go to school. Accounting isn't offered by most of the "best" schools, and is therefore often looked down on by many graduates of those schools (as an undergrad major at least). That said, as some posters have pointed out, being an accounting major at Western KY or whatever is prob going to impress adcoms marginally more than being a philosophy major at that school.

As a general rule it's probably true that many of the "hard sciences" are harder than most other classes at your average school, but this is all somewhat silly. If you don't go to one of the very small handful of schools that'll give you an admissions bump, what you major in isn't going to make much of a difference except on the extremes. An English major with a 3.8 at Western KY is going to do just as well as a philosophy or finance or linguistics or whatever major at Western KY. Maybe that student will do marginally worse than a chemical engineer at Western KY and maybe that student will do marginally better than an advertising major at Western KY, but I think that you will all find that most law schools get far too many applicants to make these sort of fine distinctions.

*Incidentally, at my undergrad Art History was considered one of the hardest majors and Econ/Finance as well as PSCI were among the easiest.

TITCR

I'm sure adcomms recognize the relative strengths and weaknesses of various schools and view them accordingly. A student from Yale is generally going to be looked at more favorably than a student from Purdue and rightfully so for many degrees. But I sure hope adcomms recognize that an engineering student from Purdue went through a much more rigorous curriculum than an engineering student from Yale.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 am

As an English major, I think I need to reiterate that it is in no way hard. I mean, I guess it varies by program, but I've been through 2, and at both schools I basically had to read books and have an opinion on them. Oh, and be able to write about that opinion in a paper 5-8 pages long and participate in class. I majored in it because it was fun, and it was also easy. I'd do it again, but I'd go to class on Fridays this time, because literally the reason I graduated with a 3.2 in this easy degree is that most of my profs had attendance policies that dropped otherwise As a letter grade at the end of the semester.

Minored in Philosophy, and maybe this is easier if it's your major, but 3.5 years of "critical thinking" and building skills in "literary analysis" did not come close to preparing me for Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.

HTH

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 am

Blessedassurance wrote:Can Economics get some love?

that was my thought when I read it. Economics is suspiciously missing.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:19 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Can Economics get some love?

that was my thought when I read it. Economics is suspiciously missing.

Yes. Econ major here and found it pretty difficult :( Poli sci was easy though!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:22 am

Where the hell is nursing? Should be one or two

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Nursing should be on there, but it is no way as hard as chem, engineering. or physics, for instance.

Sociology should be on there too. Easier than psych by a lot, but harder than Crim Justice. And way harder than English which was a joke at my UG. All you had to do was pay attention in class to what the prof thought was important, then write a paper in which your opinion was identical to the prof's and you got an A, or at least a B for slacking. At least at sociology you could write a paper which disagreed with the prof and provided you had stats to back you up you could get an A. Not saying it was hard to BS, but still harder than English which was entirely subjective.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:32 pm

who the fuck are these people who found accounting and econ really hard? seriously...i'm lost.

also, this is an extremely productive thread.

blink

Postby blink » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Engineering is too broad to be one field.

Chemical engineering>>>>>>Aerospace/Aeronautical/Electrical>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Civil

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Marketing and Management classes were easier than most Psych classes. But there's no way Accounting and Finance should be that low on the list.

Here:

1. Engineering (Excluding Civil)
2. Math
3. Physical Sciences (Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Excluding Geology/Climatology/ETC)
4. Biological Sciences
5. Accounting
6. Finance
7.Economics
8. Philosophy
9. Foreign Language
10. English
11. Social Studies (Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology)
12. Psychology
13. Management
14. Marketing

9001. Arts
9002. Education
9003. Criminal Justice
9004. ______ Studies
Last edited by NYC Law on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:44 pm

People need to understand that law schools view major choice less as "who deserves to get into law school?" and more "who helps my law school look better?". High GPAs are all that matter. I've heard of some engineering affirmative action because they generally have exceptionally low GPAs, but law schools dont care about business vs. political science.

Aspiring law students should go for easiest major at easiest school with A+ available------------> ASU.
Last edited by Glock on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Postby chem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:49 pm

blink wrote:Engineering is too broad to be one field.

Chemical engineering>>>>>>Aerospace/Aeronautical/Electrical>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Civil

Truth, other majors that aren't engineering could edge out civil

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”