OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: OFFICIAL 2011 DIFFICULTIES OF MAJORS (Brought to you by KFC)

Post by bjsesq » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
bjsesq wrote:ITT: blessedassurance tries to show everyone how super smart it is. Nobody cares.
It always amazes me when people go to great lengths to let other people know that they don't care.
Don't strain your neck blowing yourself. Also, typing 10 words isn't a "great length," Mr. Hawking.
I'm going to skip the part where "going to great lengths" has nothing to do with word count.

More importantly, why are you so mad?
Douches make me mad. You are infringing on my douche market. It's MY market. Stop blithering already.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:35 pm

NYC Law wrote:Why do all "majors" threads end up like this?

Just say your major sucked and move on.

No one wants to say they spent 4 years and a pile of money studying something that was useless.

Now imagine spending even more money on three years of education and not finding a job. I wonder what those people would say?

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:37 pm

NYC Law wrote:Why do all "majors" threads end up like this?

Just say your major sucked and move on.

No one wants to say they spent 4 years and a pile of money studying something that was useless.

Now imagine spending even more money on three years of education and not finding a job. I wonder what those people would say?

That and I probably shouldn't be reading what they are writing. I was tipsy last night when I initially posted and figured it deserved another go.

IamJosh

New

Post by IamJosh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:06 pm

From what I remember, ad hominems are only false if they are irrlevant, regardless of intention to end a dialogue. "Chuck can't be promoted to manager, he's short and unathletic!" false. "Chuck shouldn't be center at our basketball game, he's short and athletic!" true.

I've come to the conclusion that the biggest problem with this thread is that half the people come from UG's with bad English departments and think they are the standard, so it can't be "debated" properly. Where you go matters more than major selection.

And logic is a philosophy class at my school.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:10 pm

UML wrote: But regarding your last point: you've strutted into this thread and rudely taken a huge dump on English majors by claiming that studying English is useless. Later you backpedal by claiming that you believe it has intrinsic value.
Everything has intrinsic value to one person or another. Thus, nothing is useless if the intrinsic value becomes the determinant of usefulness. This takes us to the realm of philosophy for which this is neither the time nor place. We're being accused of being insufferable as it is.
You object to this saying that the same things can be said about Latin. So what? The same thing can be said about anything in the humanities but this doesn’t detract from the truth that studying English can be a steppingstone to a true, lifelong education.
That's the point. Arguing about the usefulness of majoring in English based on a common denominator applicable to virtually every other subject is weak at best.

You compare it to stamp collecting as if it’s a mere hobby

No, the comparison is based on the intrinsic value inherent in both. You're "strutting in here and taking a huge dump on stamp collection". I collect stamps and I will not have you impugn my dignity! Actually, I don't...but you get the point.
Becoming a self-sufficient thinker and learner, a lifelong student, is nothing to be scoffed at.

Emphasis on "self".
I am confident that studying English gave me the mental dexterity to handle any framework of ideas. I choose to go to law school. But if I had wanted to be an economist, or an accountant, or a mathematician, or an investment banker, or go to medical school, or engineering school, or do anything else, I am confident that I could independently memorize and apply the facts and formulas necessary for me to do so.
Be all you can be, but I can assure you majoring in English won't help you become a mathematician. Apples and oranges, really. This is not to say people who major in English cannot become mathematicians.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:16 pm

In other news, Real Madrid v Barca in 45 minutes.

Hala Madrid!

Wait, is this the lounge?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:18 pm

NYC Law wrote:People actually are reading what UML/Blessed Assurance are writing?
+1000
Blessed Assurance wrote:nomnomnomnom

UML

New

Post by UML » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:25 pm

ThomasMN wrote:I took logic. Never have I seen it mentioned that to be a fallacious ad hominem it had to prematurely end the argument. It is simply an attack against the person (hence the name). To be fallacious all it has to do is attack a part of the person's character that has nothing to do with the argument: Jim is mean, his math proof can't be right. It does not need to end the argument, although it often does simply due to the nature of ad hominem attacks. The argument continuing on has nothing to do with the ad hominem attacking a salient point of the person's character or not.
I'm sorry your class gave you incorrect information. I don't know what to tell you besides check out the book I linked; it's highly regarded and has been recommend by other people on this forum.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Why are people acting like this is the most retarded thread ever?

IamJosh above once mustered the intestinal fortitude to ask how diverse he was considering his mom was half swedish, half white and his dad was half German.

On a forum where people ask what to eat on the morning of OCI, anything goes, really.

Where's Areyouinsane or Sealocust for that matter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acapulco980

New

Post by acapulco980 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Ad hominems are relevant if they can be defended, for example, "Jeff cannot become captain of the baseball team because he is a convicted felon." If this is true then this is a sound argument.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Why are people acting like this is the most retarded thread ever?

IamJosh above once mustered the intestinal fortitude to ask how diverse he was considering his mom was half swedish, half white and his dad was half German.

On a forum where people ask what to eat on the morning of OCI, anything goes, really.

A loser like you should not even mutter those two names.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Blessedassurance wrote: Where's Areyouinsane or Sealocust for that matter?
Thesealocust only posts in his thread now, and before that he only really posted on job/oci threads.

This is too stupid even for areyouinsane. Plus he only posts on job/TTT threads.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:57 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Why are people acting like this is the most retarded thread ever?

A loser like you should not even mutter those two names.
I'm terribly sorry I hurt your feelings.

Do you like skittles?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Stupid thread is stupid.

IamJosh

New

Post by IamJosh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Yeah, that post made no sense because I didn't group all of the white nationalities, and I admit that. I'm pretty flakey a lot of the time. My point in bringing those up was because I DIDN'T think I was diverse because of that.

But there's an ad hominem! It doesn't matter that you don't know what English majors do because you probably went to some unranked public school where any idiot can get an A because I forgot to group my nationalities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”