ABA "sanctions" Villanova

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Yes, it is appropriate
12
27%
No, not harsh enough
32
71%
No, too harsh
1
2%
 
Total votes: 45

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:30 pm

"ABA Raps Villanova re Inaccurate Admission Data, Says Law School Must Post Censure Online"

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... villanova/

-------

Talk about a slap on the wrist.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm

It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Sounds about right to me, considering some administrators concealed the flawed practices from other administrators, and that the transgression was self-reported.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:44 pm

It feels like an appropriate punishment in this case, but it would be nice if the ABA would step up and make a few examples out of trangressing law schools. Especially with the new reporting rules coming out. No school is going to change their behavior based on a punishment like this, much how Div 1 schools pratically ignore the NCAA.

LegalMan
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby LegalMan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 pm

This is my dream school...

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.


My favorite post on TLS.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby KibblesAndVick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:31 pm

I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

"93% of students were either employed or pursuing an advanced degree or other goals within 9 months after graduation." (http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... Facts.aspx)

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby bp shinners » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:30 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

"93% of students were either employed or pursuing an advanced degree or other goals within 9 months after graduation." (http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... Facts.aspx)


That's not BS, unless you mean that 93% is too low. With vague wording like the bolded, I'm surprised anyone didn't fit into that category. Did 7% of the class die?

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby KibblesAndVick » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

bp shinners wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

"93% of students were either employed or pursuing an advanced degree or other goals within 9 months after graduation." (http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... Facts.aspx)


That's not BS, unless you mean that 93% is too low. With vague wording like the bolded, I'm surprised anyone didn't fit into that category. Did 7% of the class die?


I understand that it's not factually incorrect if you really look at it. But it's completely disingenuous. They take weak employment data and present it in a way that masks the reality of the situation. They're trying to mislead you without actually lying. Which is, sadly, an improvement over misleading people by actually lying. But not by much.

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby scammedhard » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:I understand that it's not factually incorrect if you really look at it. But it's completely disingenuous. They take weak employment data and present it in a way that masks the reality of the situation. They're trying to mislead you without actually lying. Which is, sadly, an improvement over misleading people by actually lying. But not by much.

What is needed to grasp the situation is a "full-time, bar passage-required" employment figure and its respective median salary.

Also, remember the 93% refers to only those replying to the questionnaire, and not to all of the graduates.

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby TrojanHopeful » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:44 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:I understand that it's not factually incorrect if you really look at it. But it's completely disingenuous. They take weak employment data and present it in a way that masks the reality of the situation. They're trying to mislead you without actually lying. Which is, sadly, an improvement over misleading people by actually lying. But not by much.


Isn't this what many attorneys set out to do? :lol:

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby Heartford » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:46 pm

A slap on the wrist is probably all that's required to ensure a free fall in USNWR rankings next year.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Gotta love my lawl school. OCI TODAY, HERE WE GOOOO

User avatar
geekrocker37
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 pm

beach_terror wrote:Gotta love my lawl school. OCI TODAY, HERE WE GOOOO


I swear, it's like there is some vast conspiracy that when employers visit for OCI, an article about this is published. Happened when I was interviewing in Jan/Feb; nothing like talking about your school's fuckups to break the ice!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Gotta love my lawl school. OCI TODAY, HERE WE GOOOO


I swear, it's like there is some vast conspiracy that when employers visit for OCI, an article about this is published. Happened when I was interviewing in Jan/Feb; nothing like talking about your school's fuckups to break the ice!

Seriously, it actually helped me a lot during 1L OCI.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 pm

bp shinners wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

"93% of students were either employed or pursuing an advanced degree or other goals within 9 months after graduation." (http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... Facts.aspx)


That's not BS, unless you mean that 93% is too low. With vague wording like the bolded, I'm surprised anyone didn't fit into that category. Did 7% of the class die?

If an "other goal" is winning the lottery and sitting on the couch, does that mean sitting on the couch while buying lottery tix is "pursuing other goals?"

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby TrojanHopeful » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:20 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

"93% of students were either employed or pursuing an advanced degree or other goals within 9 months after graduation." (http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... Facts.aspx)


That's not BS, unless you mean that 93% is too low. With vague wording like the bolded, I'm surprised anyone didn't fit into that category. Did 7% of the class die?

If an "other goal" is winning the lottery and sitting on the couch, does that mean sitting on the couch while buying lottery tix is "pursuing other goals?"


If they can afford the lottery ticket

CChuff
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.


My favorite post on TLS.


CandianWolf was the person who was saying that Villanova would be put on probation by the ABA and that there would be "severe" consequences for Villanova. Canadian Wolf just talks with no regard for reality. Villanova Law School's admissions data is the strongest it has ever been (accounting for previous innacurate reporting). Also, dropping in the U.S. News rankings doesn't matter. It is the placement in Big Law that matters. Villanova is still top 40 in the NLJ rankings.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

What happened to Villanova Law's USNews ranking ?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:53 pm

CChuff wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.


My favorite post on TLS.


CandianWolf was the person who was saying that Villanova would be put on probation by the ABA and that there would be "severe" consequences for Villanova. Canadian Wolf just talks with no regard for reality. Villanova Law School's admissions data is the strongest it has ever been (accounting for previous innacurate reporting). Also, dropping in the U.S. News rankings doesn't matter. It is the placement in Big Law that matters. Villanova is still top 40 in the NLJ rankings.

Do you have anything better to do than knock CW in multiple threads?

CChuff
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:55 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What happened to Villanova Law's USNews ranking ?


The ABA incident did not cause the drop. And I will say it again, Villanova is still top tier for getting hired in Big Law.

CChuff
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
CChuff wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.


My favorite post on TLS.


CandianWolf was the person who was saying that Villanova would be put on probation by the ABA and that there would be "severe" consequences for Villanova. Canadian Wolf just talks with no regard for reality. Villanova Law School's admissions data is the strongest it has ever been (accounting for previous innacurate reporting). Also, dropping in the U.S. News rankings doesn't matter. It is the placement in Big Law that matters. Villanova is still top 40 in the NLJ rankings.

Do you have anything better to do than knock CW in multiple threads?


Why don't you go read the thread about Villanova reporting inaccruate data. CW spent three days talking about how Villanova would suffer "severe" consequences from the ABA.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15513
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Calm down. 11.91% into NLJ 250 firms is nothing to brag about.

CChuff
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Calm down. 11.91% into NLJ 250 firms is nothing to brag about.



I am calm. Thanks.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I may have spent three days responding to your personal attacks. Your stalking is too obvious &, as usual, boring.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests