ABA "sanctions" Villanova Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Yes, it is appropriate
27%
No, not harsh enough
71%
No, too harsh
2%

Total votes: 45

scammedhard

Silver

ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Post by scammedhard » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:30 pm

"ABA Raps Villanova re Inaccurate Admission Data, Says Law School Must Post Censure Online"

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... villanova/

-------

Talk about a slap on the wrist.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: ABA "sanctions" Villanova

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm

It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Sounds about right to me, considering some administrators concealed the flawed practices from other administrators, and that the transgression was self-reported.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:44 pm

It feels like an appropriate punishment in this case, but it would be nice if the ABA would step up and make a few examples out of trangressing law schools. Especially with the new reporting rules coming out. No school is going to change their behavior based on a punishment like this, much how Div 1 schools pratically ignore the NCAA.

LegalMan

New

Post by LegalMan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 pm

This is my dream school...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.
My favorite post on TLS.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:31 pm

I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

"93% of students were either employed or pursuing an advanced degree or other goals within 9 months after graduation." (http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... Facts.aspx)

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:30 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

"93% of students were either employed or pursuing an advanced degree or other goals within 9 months after graduation." (http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... Facts.aspx)
That's not BS, unless you mean that 93% is too low. With vague wording like the bolded, I'm surprised anyone didn't fit into that category. Did 7% of the class die?

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

bp shinners wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:I wish the ABA were half as concerned with BS employment data as they are with BS admissions data...

That's not BS, unless you mean that 93% is too low. With vague wording like the bolded, I'm surprised anyone didn't fit into that category. Did 7% of the class die?
I understand that it's not factually incorrect if you really look at it. But it's completely disingenuous. They take weak employment data and present it in a way that masks the reality of the situation. They're trying to mislead you without actually lying. Which is, sadly, an improvement over misleading people by actually lying. But not by much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:I understand that it's not factually incorrect if you really look at it. But it's completely disingenuous. They take weak employment data and present it in a way that masks the reality of the situation. They're trying to mislead you without actually lying. Which is, sadly, an improvement over misleading people by actually lying. But not by much.
What is needed to grasp the situation is a "full-time, bar passage-required" employment figure and its respective median salary.

Also, remember the 93% refers to only those replying to the questionnaire, and not to all of the graduates.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:44 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:I understand that it's not factually incorrect if you really look at it. But it's completely disingenuous. They take weak employment data and present it in a way that masks the reality of the situation. They're trying to mislead you without actually lying. Which is, sadly, an improvement over misleading people by actually lying. But not by much.
Isn't this what many attorneys set out to do? :lol:

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:46 pm

A slap on the wrist is probably all that's required to ensure a free fall in USNWR rankings next year.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Gotta love my lawl school. OCI TODAY, HERE WE GOOOO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 pm

beach_terror wrote:Gotta love my lawl school. OCI TODAY, HERE WE GOOOO
I swear, it's like there is some vast conspiracy that when employers visit for OCI, an article about this is published. Happened when I was interviewing in Jan/Feb; nothing like talking about your school's fuckups to break the ice!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Gotta love my lawl school. OCI TODAY, HERE WE GOOOO
I swear, it's like there is some vast conspiracy that when employers visit for OCI, an article about this is published. Happened when I was interviewing in Jan/Feb; nothing like talking about your school's fuckups to break the ice!
Seriously, it actually helped me a lot during 1L OCI.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 pm

bp shinners wrote:

If an "other goal" is winning the lottery and sitting on the couch, does that mean sitting on the couch while buying lottery tix is "pursuing other goals?"

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:20 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

If an "other goal" is winning the lottery and sitting on the couch, does that mean sitting on the couch while buying lottery tix is "pursuing other goals?"
If they can afford the lottery ticket

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:It's appropriate because the real law school authority is US News & World Report.
My favorite post on TLS.
CandianWolf was the person who was saying that Villanova would be put on probation by the ABA and that there would be "severe" consequences for Villanova. Canadian Wolf just talks with no regard for reality. Villanova Law School's admissions data is the strongest it has ever been (accounting for previous innacurate reporting). Also, dropping in the U.S. News rankings doesn't matter. It is the placement in Big Law that matters. Villanova is still top 40 in the NLJ rankings.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

What happened to Villanova Law's USNews ranking ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:53 pm

CChuff wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
My favorite post on TLS.
CandianWolf was the person who was saying that Villanova would be put on probation by the ABA and that there would be "severe" consequences for Villanova. Canadian Wolf just talks with no regard for reality. Villanova Law School's admissions data is the strongest it has ever been (accounting for previous innacurate reporting). Also, dropping in the U.S. News rankings doesn't matter. It is the placement in Big Law that matters. Villanova is still top 40 in the NLJ rankings.
Do you have anything better to do than knock CW in multiple threads?

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:55 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What happened to Villanova Law's USNews ranking ?
The ABA incident did not cause the drop. And I will say it again, Villanova is still top tier for getting hired in Big Law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
CChuff wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
My favorite post on TLS.
Do you have anything better to do than knock CW in multiple threads?
Why don't you go read the thread about Villanova reporting inaccruate data. CW spent three days talking about how Villanova would suffer "severe" consequences from the ABA.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Calm down. 11.91% into NLJ 250 firms is nothing to brag about.

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Calm down. 11.91% into NLJ 250 firms is nothing to brag about.

I am calm. Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I may have spent three days responding to your personal attacks. Your stalking is too obvious &, as usual, boring.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”